Early colonial pit dig finds (long with lots of pics)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
About 4-5 years ago when I found the 2 hammered silver caches here in southeast Virginia I was also able to probe out an early trash pit about 200 feet from where the coins were found. At that time my friends Chuck, Evan and myself dug this pit out and eyeballed quite a few early artifacts including pottery, pipe stems and bowls, and some nice iron and brass items (see first pic below for some of those finds). We thought we had been thorough in our recoveries, but later I got thinking that we probably should have sifted that spot. Fast forward to a few days ago. After searching unsuccessfully at the site for additional hammered coins with my GPX-5000 Chuck and I decided to dig a couple of small test holes in the pit area and sift the dirt. In only a few minutes we had recovered some early pipe stems and pottery shards. We decided we needed to go back and dig out and sift a larger hole as a representative sample to determine is it would be productive to re-dig and sift the entire pit. This pit, by the way, was irregular shaped but was about 10-15 feet wide by 4 feet deep which is a huge amount of dirt to move and sift. This past Tues we dug out an area about 5 feet in length, 3 feet wide, and 4 feet deep. We were very surprised at the large number of items that we had missed on our first attempt more than 4 years ago. Part of our success was attributed to digging all the way to the bottom before moving forward. It’s easy when you’re finding artifacts in the wall to keep undercutting and not go all the way to the bottom where the best and oldest artifacts could lie. In fact, we recovered 3 colonial hoes between the 3 and 4 foot level that we somehow missed before. These are heavily encrusted and it will take a lot of electrolysis work to get them cleaned up. We also dug about 100 early pipe stem pieces with large bores which date to the 1600s along with several bowls. Some are marked including the “LE” found on one of the stems and a bowl piece. These came from the Bristol pipemaker Llewellin Evans who was in business from 1661-86. Also dug another Wil Evans marked stem similar to one I dug out of this pit 4 years ago which also dates to the latter half of the 17[SUP]th[/SUP] century. And I also found an incuse mark “WS” stamped on the heel of a bulbous bowl which was the makers mark for William Sterridge (1610-40). The pottery shards recovered were rather few and mostly small, but were very early and included red earthenwares and a variety of tin-glazed wares including delft. Some of these will match up with what I already have, and hopefully by the time we totally dig out this pit I can do some partial reconstructions. There was also almost no glass in this pit which I thought was very unusual. Only one pontilled base to a small square utility bottle was found along with a couple of tiny shards. In addition to the hoes quite a bit of small iron was found including a lot of rosehead nails. I cleaned up a couple of these and they make nice looking display pieces. I also did some electrolysis on a small iron concretion that turned out to be part of a pair of early scissors. The main obstacle to digging in this pit was not its size, but the fact that it contained a tremendous quantity of oyster shells and animal bone which made it almost impossible at times to even penetrate the tip of the shovel into the dirt. It also made it quite difficult when sifting dirt back into the hole. Below are some pics of our digs in this first full attempt at sifting, and we hope to make it back soon to continue systematically digging out every cubic inch of the pit. I’ll provide another update after the next dig which will hopefully be in the next few days.

Attachments

• original pit finds.JPG
    original pit finds.JPG
    356.7 KB · Views: 309
  • 120412e.jpg
    120412e.jpg
    258.9 KB · Views: 201
  • chuck in pit3.JPG
    chuck in pit3.JPG
    233.4 KB · Views: 198
  • 120412b.JPG
    120412b.JPG
    412.5 KB · Views: 196
  • 120412d.JPG
    120412d.JPG
    191.2 KB · Views: 201
  • 120412i.JPG
    120412i.JPG
    103.6 KB · Views: 187
  • 120412g.JPG
    120412g.JPG
    79.2 KB · Views: 204
  • 120412h.JPG
    120412h.JPG
    104.6 KB · Views: 207
  • 120412f.JPG
    120412f.JPG
    226.5 KB · Views: 199
  • 120412j.JPG
    120412j.JPG
    251.4 KB · Views: 206
  • 120412k.JPG
    120412k.JPG
    214.5 KB · Views: 171
  • 120412l.JPG
    120412l.JPG
    158.1 KB · Views: 178
  • 120412m.JPG
    120412m.JPG
    103.3 KB · Views: 188
Last edited:
Upvote 18
OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Bill, Killer stuff! I love your knowledge of the artifacts that you find. Do you have any theory on the lack of glass?
The dimensions of this pit and the abundance of domestic items make me wonder, was this a
secondary pit? Maybe temporary or used when the weather was bad or later in the evening?
When I was a kid my grandmother had an outhouse. We did use a primitive chamber-pot, 5 gal.
bucket, when the weather was bad but it was still quit a walk to the privy on summer evenings.
Maybe there is another on the property.

Anyway, I'd love to know more. Let us know what you learn!

Not really sure about the lack of glass, but it seems some pits are loaded and some are bare. But since multiple pits are the norm I'm hoping to eventually stumble across the one filled with whole onion bottles (I wish!).

gravediggermax-vabeachva

Bronze Member
Nov 24, 2005
va beach, va
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
se pro, excal. II, ctx 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you had a great day mr bill and great day for sure.
see u in the lane one day again.
good luck

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Now that's my cup of tea! I've been sifting a 20th century pit in my back yard and that's been fun; what you're doing takes it to another level!

The Sanddigger

Nov 15, 2012
Tidewater VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II
Garrett AT Pro
Nox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No wonder you were sore! "Look at that hole, look at that hole." "You don't have to say it twice!" "I didn't!!!"

fishstick

Silver Member
Oct 28, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, T2SE, F2 for the boys, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just goes to show we never find everything the first time. Both You and Patch had it rite about the diggin of a pit, it's an unreal feelin to know no one has seen that part of history ever. I wish we had the same amount of that time frame here in IND. For now I have to wait on your next post. Thanx for the pleasure and maybe a video the next time wood bring it full circle for all of us.. lol.. THANK YOU BILL!!! HH

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
you had a great day mr bill and great day for sure.
see u in the lane one day again.
good luck

Thanks Max. Unless we have a nor'easter over the winter I doubt you'll see me in the lane until next spring. Until then you can bring home all the gold. See ya.

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So awesome Bill! I love everything especially the scissors. Where in relation to the house site are you digging? I've never asked you but have you done any research to see who may have live there in colonial times??

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is great you went back with a sifter. I hunt artifacts and have maybe 5 sifters I use. It is a lot of fun never knowing what that shovel full of dirt will hold. It is easier to chase that signal but when you do what you did it shows the whole story. Of course it pays to have a good site like yours. The finds will make stunning displays. Nice.
HH
TnMtns

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
That looks like so much fun. That could very easily become yet one more thing I could or should take up, even though there isn't time to do everything now.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread