gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
This is an early pontiled drinking glass....-OR-....some new reproduction you might find being made before your eyes at a renaissance fair or some crafty place. If it's real, $300+. I paid 8 beans for it at an antique store. Is anyone willing to make the call, real goods or fake? I can't tell one way or the other. Thanks, gleaner1.

Attachments

• mystery1.jpg
    mystery1.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 282
  • mystery2.jpg
    mystery2.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 298
Think about it. A drinking glass. What's the life span of one? The survivors are extraordinary and more valuable than you might guess. Finding one in a shop is too good to be true. I'm thinking that this is a knock-off, but I am still clinging to a thread of hope.

Note the smearing of copper on the glass left from the tool while forming the neck of the base. This makes me think its newer, but I'm still not sure.

A hundred or more years ago, air bubbles in the glass object was something to be avoided, particularly in an object that was for the table, to be re-used many times.

Mexican glass (for one example) turns this earlier standard on its head. Air bubbles have eye appeal, and so, much Mexican casual glass can be found loaded with seed bubbles.

I think this tumbler was hand-made in Mexico within the last 50 years.

Harry, I'm going with what you said. Thanks once again for your expertise. I guess I'm out 8 bucks but much richer for the experience.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back