Early morning hunt, lots of clad, but Susan B Anthony!

HenryWaltonJonesJr

Sep 2, 2013
Downtown Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, AT Pro, Compadre, SeaHunter II, AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Got out at dawn today and I'm starting to think someone used a silver magnet on this park. Still have yet to find a silver there...it's the oldest park in Chicago.

Dug A LOT of targets:

1 Susan B Anthony (my first!)
2 wheats: 1940 and 1956 d's
4 nickels
9 quarters
28 dimes
59 pennies

I have enough for an extra value meal at McDonalds!

I'm starting to think the park is a dead end for silver. I did find a 1892 IH once...surely there has got to be some silver in between!? Maybe I need to give up urban silver hunting...this was a tough blow today!

adujyty5.jpg

Upvote 3

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not a bad haul at all. You might be a bit premature about older coins however. Its possible the park your at has been hammered quite thoroughly but those wheats say that there maybe something more.

Question: What are the dates for most of the coins~ ruff figures?
Approximate depths?
How much trash and what type~ screw caps, pull tabs, beaver tails that kind of thing.

Reason I ask is that these questions are ones I ask while I hunt to determine age of use of an area and allow for changing of strategy depending on what I am finding. If its an old park as you say its probably been landscaped at least once. Older junk like beaver tails can lead to area's that have not been altered much. Same with some screw caps. Depth will help determine how far into the park your actually getting and reveal areas that may not have been to disturbed either~ older coins maybe shallower than newer ones.
Think about where these areas are and look for iffy signals. If the park has been sodded in the past older stuff may not come up as good clean hits and deeper junk may mask goodies.
You have a good haul there so its not a well pounded park in modern coins and what your looking for may be just a little bit deeper. Luck to ya and keep swinging.

OP
OP
HenryWaltonJonesJr

HenryWaltonJonesJr

Sep 2, 2013
Downtown Chicago
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks so much for the reply DDancer! Those are great questions to get me thinking more.

I'm seeing a mix of trash modern screw caps (they get me sometimes masked as pennies or dimes) some old square ptabs, modern ptabs and beavers with really long tails. I think if I averaged the dates of the coins it'd be 1979. I've pulled maybe a dozen wheats and that IH. Depths are not deep, mostly in the plug, 3 or 4 inches. However I got excited when I got a signal deep under the plug and it was a 2007 dime! Not many 2000's, mostly 70s and 80s and I've dug more 64 pennies, my nemesis, than 80s or 90s coins.

The IH throws me though. I was digging deep, and have no idea when it came out of the hole. It may have been 8+ inches.

I'm running the AT pro at max sensitivity and mostly only digging nice round signals. The pro will say 8+ on the sweep, but inevitably 2-4" on the pinpoint.

I'm sure it was redone sometime in the past, but there are a ton of spots without grass, lots of huge old trees. I find a lot of coin spills.

When I think about it now I'm really not finding a lot of deep stuff. It's probable the soil was scrapped out in the early 80s and it was resodded. It could definitely use it again. Maybe I should campaign for it and be ready when the ground crew shows up!

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a good idea!
Nice finds! You got more than I did!

They are redoing city hall landscape here, but it's all fenced off and locked w no trespassing signs! All I can do is drool as I drive by. Even the area where they take the dirt to process it is locked...kinda makes me wonder what in the heck they are trying to hide! Who locks up dirt?

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
to get that kind of a haul means a very large amount of trash holes as well, I am guilty of hammering the solid signals at first as well and then slowly going back later to check out the more iffy signals. sooner or later it is bound to pay off. found my first S B Antony a couple of weeks ago. good work

OP
OP
HenryWaltonJonesJr

HenryWaltonJonesJr

Sep 2, 2013
Downtown Chicago
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks guys, your support means a lot!

With it being so urban it's like a bed and breakfast for the homeless, cardboard boxes laid flat for a bed and the amount of ptabs and twist-offs is totally insane. A lot of the drops and spills probably came from the homeless. Instead of giving it to them I donate to shelters, giving them money (at least according to a former homeless man) only allows them to keep doing the wrong thing.

Most of the iffy signals are twist-offs and broken down clad pennies. I think next time I'll dig everything and show you what I'm dealing with.

If anyone is in the Chicago area and wants to meet up and show me by pulling a silver how much your machine is superior to the AT Pro I'll be very impressed indeed! Drop me a PM!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread