Early Morning Hunt (Trade Axe? Tomahawk?)

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got up at the crack of dawn to hit the field I've been working. As soon as I stepped out the door I was greeted by a fox in the backyard. When I pulled up to the field I had to chase a coyote off and when I got to the back of the field I spooked up a couple white tail deer! Of course all this and me without my camera.

Only had a couple hours and only found a couple targets. The tiny axe came from the same area that I found the large trade axe a couple weeks ago. I've not seen one like it but I'm pretty sure that it would date to the same era as the trade axe. Maybe a rough made tomahawk? There was a lot of trading between the French and the natives in this immediate area.

The pewter lid was found in five pieces and it came from a different part of the field and I don't think it is as old as the site.

Attachments

• axe 018.jpg
    axe 018.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 698
  • axe 013.jpg
    axe 013.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 688
  • axe 014.jpg
    axe 014.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 689
  • axe 011.jpg
    axe 011.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 693
Upvote 0

Hunthicks

Oct 22, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Early Morning Hunt

Whatever it actually was used for, it's another pretty awesome axe! :icon_thumleft:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That's a first seeing for me. Interested to hear more about that one. It's either going to be more modern and not that special, or early and something very special, at least in a different type of way.

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

very neat find there... it's the first time for me seeing an item like that...hope to hear more on it... :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
romeo-1

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The Patriot said:
very neat find there... it's the first time for me seeing an item like that...hope to hear more on it... :icon_thumright:

I got my feelers out now...hope to hear something later tonight.

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
just seeing your iron find make me want to clean mine...so doing a batch of cannon/grape shot and a trade axe as I am posting this ... zinc and lye method again..

OP
OP
romeo-1

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Patriot said:
just seeing your iron find make me want to clean mine...so doing a batch of cannon/grape shot and a trade axe as I am posting this ... zinc and lye method again..

Cool...make sure you post the pics!

FortBedfordbob

Dec 25, 2007
Bedford Pa
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, GPX 5000
I looked inthe book "a Museum of Early American Tools" by Eric Sloane. I could not find an excact match. The size and Hammer end is similar to that of a Lathing Hatchet. Also it is kind of flat across the top. It was probably made by a local blacksmith. All that said, who knows for sure. It's a cool find and I'd take that anyday.

HH
BB

mainer

Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck getting an ID Rome. :icon_thumleft:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That's a different looking head for sure, crude and interesting. Keep us posted. :icon_thumright:

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great looking axe head, hope it turns out to be a trade axe. :icon_thumright:
I really like that pewter lid though. Looks like it might have come off of a tea
pot or a biscuit jar, being made of pewter it looks to be early 19th century :notworthy:

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
romeo-1 said:
The Patriot said:

Here is a batch of balls straight out of the solution....yup no rust left! thought I had the trade axe in the bucket but had it on the side....enjoy romeo...sure you'll find a cache of them soon

Attachments

• balls5.jpg
    balls5.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 237
OP
OP
romeo-1

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Patriot said:
romeo-1 said:
The Patriot said:

Here is a batch of balls straight out of the solution....yup no rust left! thought I had the trade axe in the bucket but had it on the side....enjoy romeo...sure you'll find a cache of them soon

Nice iron! I can't wait to find my first. I'm surprised that I've been skunked thus far...

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
romeo-1 said:
The Patriot said:
romeo-1 said:
The Patriot said:

Nice iron! I can't wait to find my first. I'm surprised that I've been skunked thus far...

If axes and cannon balls go together, and it seems they do, it shouldn't be too long. Not to mention I found most of mine at house sites with no fort or battle areas anywhere close.

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch said:
romeo-1 said:
The Patriot said:
romeo-1 said:
The Patriot said:

If axes and cannon balls go together, and it seems they do, it shouldn't be too long. Not to mention I found most of mine at house sites with no fort or battle areas anywhere close.

a couple of mine came out of house sites too but most of them being fired... still have another good handful to clean, not to mention the ones I cleaned a couple of years ago...due soon to find another one... :headbang:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread