Early Tennessee Textiles & Basketry

uniface

Silver Member
Jun 4, 2009
Central Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
Early Tennessee Textiles & Basketry

I downloaded a pdf file that is chapter three of something. Unfortunately, I don't remember of what. Of interest to Tennessee folk :

Chapmanā€™s work in Tennessee also provided direct evidence of the production and use of
textiles in the Early Archaic period. The evidence was recovered as impressions of basketry and
woven fiber bags from a prepared clay hearth. The context in which they were found can be
firmly dated to the Early Archaic (Chapman 1977).

Upvote 0

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Early Tennessee Textiles & Basketry

uniface said:
I downloaded a pdf file that is chapter three of something. Unfortunately, I don't remember of what. Of interest to Tennessee folk :

Chapmanā€™s work in Tennessee also provided direct evidence of the production and use of
textiles in the Early Archaic period. The evidence was recovered as impressions of basketry and
woven fiber bags from a prepared clay hearth. The context in which they were found can be

I think that had something to do with around Ducks and Elk Rivers. If I recall they also found the earliest records of maze or indian corn in Tennessee. That does not make sense to me. We have a lot of aztec influence in the area in later temple mound cultures and sacrafices. Lots of canabalism and human jewelry.
Gee how things have changed with modern transportation !!!! :laughing7:

OP
OP
uniface

uniface

Silver Member
Jun 4, 2009
Central Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
Re: Early Tennessee Textiles & Basketry

The Early Archaic includes the Palmer and Kirk complexes (Coe 1964). The Early
Archaic Palmer phase (ca. 8000-7000 B.C.) is typified by a small corner-notched blade with a
straight, ground base and pronounced serrations. The Palmer complex is indicative of possible
affiliations with cultures to the north, extending into New England (Coe 1964).
During the Kirk phase (ca. 7000-6000 B.C.), the points increased in size and basal
grinding declined. A broad-stemmed, deeply serrated point gradually replaced the earlier corner-
notched style. The decrease in basal grinding characteristic of later Kirk projectile points is
indicative of cultural affiliations to the west (Coe 1964). The use of hafted end scrapers also
increased during this period (Coe 1964; Davis and Daniel 1990). The depth of the Kirk midden
at the Hardaway site indicates a long-term occupation (Coe 1964).
During excavations at Icehouse Bottom in Tennessee (Chapman 1977) a bifurcate
projectile point tradition was stratigraphically isolated between the Early Archaic Kirk and the
Middle Archaic Stanly traditions. No major shift in the artifact assemblage was observed except
for the bifurcate point, and the shift was viewed as a modification in the hafting element. The
bifurcate tradition was not identified at the Hardaway site, although more recent investigations
along the Haw River in Chatham County have confirmed its stratigraphic placement in North
Carolina (Claggett and Cable 1982).

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread