🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:o CIVIL WAR! :o AUBURN!! :o

8) WAR EAGLE! 8)

I'm in Bama too, but north. :-\ I will definitely be looking for your posts!!!

Good luck and welcome to the forum!

Nana :)

OP
OP
Nashces

Nashces

Apr 21, 2007
Columbus GA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 4
Just bought a Metal Detector on this site from Nick. He gave me a good deal for a first beginner detector. I cant wait till it gets here now!!!!

Nash

OP
OP
Nashces

Nashces

Apr 21, 2007
Columbus GA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 4
The MD is on it's way!! Nick sent it out yesterday with UPS. I hope to have it by the weekend!!!!

Paul in TN

Mar 26, 2007
Kingsport, TN
Detector(s) used
white's M6
Good luck and ROLL TIDE ROLL. I live in TN after marrying UT girl but still pull for the TIde. I was born in Decatur. Good luck with new MD it will take a while to learn how to use it but its a great hobby/addiction.What kind of MD did you get?
Paul

jonnyrebel00

Nov 9, 2006
Mobile, Al
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, Garrett Master Hunter
All gots to say is War Dang Eagle!!!!!! Well never hunted that far north but im sure there has to be tons to be found. From Saraland originally bout 13 mile north of Mobile. Happens to be close to where Citronelle, which is where Mobile was surrendered. My piece of advice would be to also try and find where guys marched. So if you have campsites already in mind maybe all youd have to do is connect the dots.

Good Luck to ya,

War Eagle!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jonnyrebel00

Nov 9, 2006
Mobile, Al
Detector(s) used
Oh yeah forgot to mention in case you didnt know, stay away from state site, parks, reserves, or anything that has state with it. that will create tons of problems.

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used
MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000
Find some areas around Phenix City.That was the meanest town in AL in the old days.Lots of gambling/murders/bootlegging/and plain hell-raising.Where there was a lot of money exchanged,legal and illegal,bound to be some still hidden.Do some research!

OK,OK,NANA! "War Eagle!"

ronald99

Dec 13, 2006
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE-Excalibur 1000-Minelab SD2200V2
Have you people found anything in that area yet,im looking for a good area to detect,was thinking about going to the beach around mobile,anyone know any good spot's please let me know.I also beach detect in florida east coast. Has anyone been to the gold camp,or used there detectors lookin for gold in or around that area. Ronald99

jonnyrebel00

Nov 9, 2006
Mobile, Al
Detector(s) used
Tons of history in Mobile. i was on leave here a few weeks ago and i went downtown lookin for places to hunt. They are there but youd probly wanna carry a weapon. Mobile is not what it used to be. Heck there was one time i was hunting and a homeless guy ask me what i had just found so i told him and he tried to tell me it was his. here it was a few inches down and he wanted to claim it. so he made a big fuss about it and finally left it alone. so last time i was there i had a few homeless guys just ask me what i was doing so i told them that i was a scientist and was looking for 200 year old meteorites that i though had fallen there. im not gonna divulge all my info on the history of Mobile but if you know where to go it is well worth your time.

As far as the beaches there Gulf Shores is kinda close and usually always a good place to hit. Maybe Dauphin Island would be worth your time too. There is one place that ill share with you just cause i didnt have a chance to hit it when i was on leave and thats the mouth of the Fish River. when the union troops landed in Mobile the got off of there ships there. so that may be worth checking out if its not protected.

Good luck

OP
OP
Nashces

Nashces

Apr 21, 2007
Columbus GA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 4
Gonna Post this here and in Todays Finds.

Well I have been entertaining the idea for a few months of getting into Metal Detecting. Last week on Monday I was able to get a good deal on a starter machine here in the classifieds. Bought a BH Tracker 4 from Nick. Sent the Money Order out on Monday and had the detector by Friday!!

Unfortunetly It rained here on Saturday and I was unable to try it out. Well today after work I was able to take it out in the yard and test it out. The Machine doesnt lie thats for sure. It would ring out on All metal mode then if I turned it to Disc it would go silent on the same spot.

Dug up 6 pull tabs a few nails and a can. But did find to memorial pennies. One at 6 inches 1967 and one at 1 inch 1998.

Now so you know with any post you see me starting you WILL get some type of history lesson :) . I love history and love to Research and find out what happend "Back in the day".

I live between Salem and Opelika on HWY 280. I decided about 3 weeks ago to start searching on the Net and the local Libary for Local History. I'm mainly interested in the Civil War Era. I decided I would start my Hobby in Salem.

This is what I have been able to uncover as of yesterday here in Salem.

Salem, Lee Co. AL. was once a community of pioneers who laid out the area in lots, built houses, churches, schools, businesses, and gained a railroad. In the process the settlers developed a town that thrived in commerance and cotton untill the Civil Was retarded its growth.

From what I was able to learn that after capturing Montgomery and Opelika. The Union army marched on 3 Different Routes to Columbus GA. On April 16th the Last Land Battle of the Civil War was fought on Easter Sunday Apr 16th 1865. The Routes I believe were from:

1. Seale to Columbus What is now Hwy 431
2. Crawford to Columbus Along what is now Hwy 80
3. Opelika/Salem to Columbus What is now Hwy 280

So this has been my Concentration of the area. I decided that Salem would be a Good Spot to start since it's the closet to me :) The Following Sites are currently what I am looking for in Salem:

1. Salem Campgrounds :(Not found yet) Located within 1 Mile of Salem . Seems this was mainly ran by masons. Most Businesses in Salem were Tented there. Often they would have meetings held there and people from the area would come to conduct Business there.

2.Salem Picnic Grounds: (Not Found yet) Supposedly was located near a Natural Spring . This was mainly a gathering area for community Meetings and Outings. In it's hayday period it did have the presidential campaign of the 15th President James Buchanan visit Salem picnic grounds on July 20th 1856.

3. Salem Public Exucution/Hangings: (Not Found Yet) I as of now just heard of this a few days ago and haven't confirmed wether it exist or not yet.

4. Salem Female Academy (Found) : This was a All girls school obviously by the name. It was well known for it's teaching in Dancing. Mostly Taught were the "Cake Walk" and different styles of Waltz. At one time the Salem Masonic Lodge wanted to buy the school out and use the building as It's lodge. The school turned them down. I as of yet do not have the Dates of the School being open but i will post that here once I have them.

Side view of the Academy (White Building)

0512071716.jpg

Front view Salem Female Academy

0512071800.jpg

Well this is where I had my first hunt. I decided to concentrate on the backyard. After a few rusted nails and digging up two bricks (One near a Old hang style Garden and one near the outhouse) I figured there was a brick style walkway going from the backyard to both these areas. Spent two hours digging up nails and one huge Tent Spike. I began working near the Outhouse and got a good All Metal Signal and after switching to Coinshooting was able to still pull a good signal.

This was the result:

0513072000.jpg

The Jar has the Word "Sanitol" on both sides.

0514072011a.jpg

One the Lid it says "Sanitol" then two words that are broken "URE" and "CREA"

I Belive the second word to be Cream and I think this is some type of Facial Cream(Girlfriend Called it as soon as she saw the bottle ). I Check into the Sanitol Company and see dating around late 1800's to 1930's mainly. The company made bathroom toiletries like Shaving Cream.Tooth Powder, Hair Tonic and Soaps. I think Facial Creme could be found in a place like the Salem Female Academy :)

Let me know if you can get a Solid date , a pic of a bottle like this one or what the "URE" word may be.

0514072011b.jpg

Thanks for looking

Nash

roswellborn

Jan 9, 2006
Washington state
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
<quote>Let me know if you can get a Solid date , a pic of a bottle like this one or what the "URE" word may be.</quote.

Pure?

... cure, lure, allure (ha), sure (?)

good luck!

Nan

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions