Easterwknd 003.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 376
Upvote 0

PALEOMAN

Dec 11, 2007
COLORADO
Detector(s) used
WHITES XLT
very nice pieces! i always enjoy digging and know how much work it is. its still less work than prospecting.

d2

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2005
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro/Cibola Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great finds, Atlantis...d2

stryker-one

Aug 10, 2007
Independence, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Scorpion Gold Stinger and Tesoro Silver
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds Atlantis--could you please post a closer look at the red point and the one below it and right that looks like petrified wood. I sure would like a closer look at those two. For some reason I really like jasper points and petrified wood ones :) :)

Nice photo.

Thank you for sharing--you seem to post nice specimens.

Stryker

OP
OP
A

Atlantis0077

Hey Stryker,

I scanned the points you wanted to look at....added a couple of others as well. In my area you find a lot of petrified wood points....knives and scrapers as well. Occasionally you will find a palm wood point also.
Spent Saturday digging and found nothing....cant say I like coming up empty, but any chance to hit the woods is fun.

Happy Hunting,

Atlantis

Attachments

• Easterwknd2.jpg
    Easterwknd2.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 211

stryker-one

Aug 10, 2007
Independence, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Scorpion Gold Stinger and Tesoro Silver
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you Atlantis,

I see the palm type petrified--that is some awesome material.

Since you got both of those red points up and side by side (very good photos too :thumbsup: ) I am able to see very similar hand in the knapping process. Let me diverge a bit.

During WWII I understand that Morse code operators could tell by listening to messages by the way a message was tapped out--they could tell if it was the same person--"his hand" in other words could be recognized.

I have often thought that if enough points could be compared that a certain hand could be recognized. Maybe this is something that been talked about to death--I don't know. I just find it interesting.

With those two points I see a common hand there. That really makes me wonder about the maker (not GOD) the point maker :D,. I even wonder if female ancients were knappers? No way to prove or disprove, I guess.

Perhaps if I find a place that is consistant for providing points I can gather enough specimens and do some research--maybe.

Real nice points there. I sure wish some of you "go-get-ers" would put on a seminar and come on out here to rain capital Oregon.

Thank you for the cool posts and the re-post.

Stryker

OP
OP
A

Atlantis0077

Morning,

Well, all the points shown there came from within 25 feet of one another, so they may well have all been made by the same person. You are correct about certain flaking methods being similar. You also get certain oddities in points.....I searched a place once where nearly every point I found had one side longer than the other.....a weak side and a strong one. Also, among the Evans points we find here...referred to here as "double notched"...nearly always the tip is skewed either left or right. No other point type I find has that characteristic as often as the Evans.

As for female knappers, I just dont know. It seems to be the predominate opinion that the men made the points and the women made the pots. Perhaps in some cultures and even today we see women making pots more than men, but I am certain that if needs be women could knap a bit. No doubt though in more diversified cultural structure that "roles" developed. Men hunted, women processed and such. During paleo times where groups were generally smaller and subsistence was hunter/gatherer...I would imagine that such roles blurred a bit. You gotta eat and there might not have always been a man around to kill something for you, or a woman around to put it on a stick over a fire....lol....add to that they werent making pottery in paleo times....if I am remembering correctly that is.

We just had 4" of rain here.....I need to hit some of my roads and cutovers while stuff is showing.

Happy Hunting,

Atlantis

Cannonman17

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Wisconsin
Stryker- some interesting points you mention there. Reminds me of some of the excavations at Cahokia where burials were unearthed that contained hundreds of Cahokia points...each one nearly identical to the others except for a much smaller number but even those were all similar to each other.. perhaps only two knappers were tasked with supplying all the points for that burial.. it really makes me wonder if I have ever found more than one artifact from a single individual.....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread