Eastern S. Dakota Stuff

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
I know you all are very familiar with Larsons incredible finds. He is truely in artifact paradise with the abundance of relics made from a great material.
I thought some of you may be interested to see what we find up here when you get away from the Missouri River. I do find some KRF, but it isn't very regular.
DSCN3203.jpg

DSCN3204.jpg

DSCN3205.jpg

DSCN3206.jpg

DSCN1177.jpg

Upvote 0
Nice assortment. Real nice celt also. I've often wondered why the majority of artifacts I see from out that way... points and scrapers especially.. seem to almost always be so small when there was plenty of material out that way. Do they get bigger when older? Forgive me I honestly don't know.

Quito--what is this material?quito.JPG It looks like the Foreacre/Foraker chert we find here in NE Oklahoma.

Not sure of the material Charmin.... I thought it was what I would call a conglomerate material type, but since you asked, I scoped it, and I have no idea, it is NOT a conglomerate. I think the natives in my area often just picked up river or creek stones, there is just so much variety to the artifact materials, and only one type ( pink/red quartzite) that is abundantly sticking out of the ground. And I don't find much made of it.

Nice frames. What is the redish one on the bottom in the first pic? Looks like there is a line on it and what type of stone is it.

Those are some really nice artifacts, especially that knife in the center. That point above and slightly to the left looks like a Besant point, Very Nice!

Nice assortment. Real nice celt also. I've often wondered why the majority of artifacts I see from out that way... points and scrapers especially.. seem to almost always be so small when there was plenty of material out that way. Do they get bigger when older? Forgive me I honestly don't know.

the points were small cuz they were true arrowheads which were shot by a bow that was only about 3 feet long
the scrapers were easy to make that size and hold between the thumb and finger
some scrapers got smaller when they were re-sharpened
the bigger ones were older atlatl points and knives

"What is the reddish one on the bottom in the first pic? Looks like there is a line on it and what type of stone is it."

That would be a piece of pipestone. I am not sure why it had been incised, but it is.

"Is It a purplish rock with white dots in it? "

No, the colors in the pic are pretty close to right on. It's basically grey with white specks.

the points were small cuz they were true arrowheads which were shot by a bow that was only about 3 feet long
the scrapers were easy to make that size and hold between the thumb and finger
some scrapers got smaller when they were re-sharpened
the bigger ones were older atlatl points and knives

Thanks..that's logical.... I guess it is the ratio that throws me. The opposite of what I'm used to.

Good point... as I sit on the patio typing this in shorts and tee-shirt.

hey hey joel

and to think i almost ended up being related to you

now that you are posting keep going

our artifacts have a lot in common

"hey hey joel

and to think i almost ended up being related to you"

Yeah that was a close call. But, it all worked out in the end for all of us it sounds like. And I still got to meet you too! (online anyway)

I just ran into someone in Sioux Falls recently from Hosmer that knew her, and I got an up-date on Tammy and her cousin Gwen both. Heck I could have probably got one from you eh?

"now that you are posting keep going

our artifacts have a lot in common"

I will do what I can. I am a concrete contractor and beekeeper, and right now there just isn't much for me to do besides pour one or two basement floors a week and peddle honey. But that is about to change. LOTS of work coming up, and I am getting more hives too....... If anyone knows any concrete finishers/workers I will be hiring!

Our artifacts do have some things in common, but I can tell from what I buy and collect compared to what I find, that the qualities of your abundant KRF produce many more high quality artifacts that the materials these natives had to work with.

"I've often wondered why the majority of artifacts I see from out that way... points and scrapers especially.. seem to almost always be so small when there was plenty of material out that way. Do they get bigger when older? Forgive me I honestly don't know."

You know, beside the info Larson gave you about the difference between dart and arrow points, I don't really understand it all. The big stuff everyone seems to find in all these other states, is probably the reason I collect what I do. I like BIG stuff, and can't find any. We do find some decent sized scrapers and blades though.

Thank you it was an honest question... I didn't want it to come off rude or anything.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back