Portsmouth, Va.Metro-West Taxachusettes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

vwayne1

Jan 14, 2005
Eugene Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
Or.......I can give you first hand info instead. So I have been using it for about 6-8 months. I sell probably 10% or a little more of my items through global shipping. I have never had a complaint from a customer. One problem I have is this: I get questions about shipping from people in different countries and I don't know what global is going to charge them. That's up to global shipping, not me. I explain that and they usually buy anyway. They must have a way of finding out the cost directly from global shipping. Other than that, it's great. I refuse to slow down my process by dealing with all the paperwork and ship quotes, so this is a great free option.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can tell you from a buyer perspective it's a total deal breaker because it's usually a higher rate than what I would expect being charged coming into the country, and I never get dinged on everything so it would be crazy paying the fees up front. If you had the same item at the same price as another seller, and you used it and he didn't, I'm most definitely buying it from him. In fact I'd pay a little more to him just because it might sneak across with no fees. About a year ago I bought something for around $80, paid the shipping, and about $25 for the global cost. That same week I bought $180 jacket, paid the shipping and wasn't charged a nickel in taxes or duty. Just thinking I recently bought three shirts for about $300, who knows what the global would have added, but all came with no fees. Yeah I hate that program with a passion.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All I know is the only time I ever deal with anything International is via the global shipping program. I just sold a Metal detecting book to a guy in Canada thru it. I have only had a couple dozen (maybe more) items sell via the global shipping program but I have yet to experience a single problem on my end as a seller. Once my package arrives at Airport Exchange Blvd in Erlanger Ky., my end of the deal is done.

How sellers are protected
Although you're responsible for getting the package safely to the US shipping center, you won't be charged if the item is damaged or lost during international shipping. You're also covered by PayPal Seller Protection, so you get the same protection for your international sales that you get domestically.

Baltimore

Feb 18, 2013
Maryland/Vermont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All I know is the only time I ever deal with anything International is via the global shipping program. I just sold a Metal detecting book to a guy in Canada thru it. I have only had a couple dozen (maybe more) items sell via the global shipping program but I have yet to experience a single problem on my end as a seller. Once my package arrives at Airport Exchange Blvd in Erlanger Ky., my end of the deal is done.

Although you're responsible for getting the package safely to the US shipping center, you won't be charged if the item is damaged or lost during international shipping. You're also covered by PayPal Seller Protection, so you get the same protection for your international sales that you get domestically.

Agreed, I've only ever sold through it, but it's kind of nice to just ship something to kentucky and then to be able to forget about it. I once shipped a bunch of milk glass mugs to japan without using it, and it was a total nightmare. I had a million forms to fill out, tracking disappeared once it left the country, half the address was in japanese characters which could have been difficult for the post office, and I was constantly worried that they would break in transit. I have never used so much bubble wrap for one package in my life.

Lafitte Deux

Jan 19, 2012
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett's
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Like Baltimore and Diggummup, I haven't had any problems.
As to cost difference, I haven't seen enough data on that to comment.
But then, I don't overly worry about shipping costs.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

But it's like detecting, you only know what you find and don't know how much you miss!

omga747

Oct 28, 2011
Southern CA
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't know what it's like on the buyer's end, but as a seller, it's pretty convenient. I've used it twice: once to Spain and once to New Zealand, and it's really just like shipping domestically. Package it up, tape the label on, and drop it off at the post office, easy as that.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know what it's like on the buyer's end, but as a seller, it's pretty convenient. I've used it twice: once to Spain and once to New Zealand, and it's really just like shipping domestically. Package it up, tape the label on, and drop it off at the post office, easy as that.

So how is that any different than normal shipping? Sure sounds exactly like what I do without the program. I ship to many different places on a very regular basis and the format really doesn't change at all, and certainly not enough to make me feel like I need an easier way.

omga747

Oct 28, 2011
Southern CA
Primary Interest:
Other
So how is that any different than normal shipping? Sure sounds exactly like what I do without the program. I ship to many different places on a very regular basis and the format really doesn't change at all, and certainly not enough to make me feel like I need an easier way.

Well, I've shipped internationally without the program a few times (Canada and Brazil), and really, it's not much different. The only major difference through the program is that on my end I only pay the domestic shipping (save on ebay fees a little bit). There's slightly less paperwork since you don't need to do customs, but doing that is so easy anyway it really doesn't make a difference. So really it's up to personal preference. Neither way really ends up being too different from the other.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I've shipped internationally without the program a few times (Canada and Brazil), and really, it's not much different. The only major difference through the program is that on my end I only pay the domestic shipping (save on ebay fees a little bit). There's slightly less paperwork since you don't need to do customs, but doing that is so easy anyway it really doesn't make a difference. So really it's up to personal preference. Neither way really ends up being too different from the other.

Ah ha... now that explains why the global cost is higher than what the taxes and duty should be. A buyer pays the shipping, but what they don't know is the money paid for the global fee almost certainly includes a little extra for shipping that the seller is saving. Plus if this program doesn't cost a seller anything, then of course it only makes sense it's being paid for by the buyers.... and because the sellers don't see this angle, they have no idea how much business the extra costs turns people away. As I said it's basically a deal breaker for me unless it's something I really want and no one else has.

Bandit2

Jan 7, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some Buyers are having problems
guidobit wrote:
I had an identical BAD EXPERIENCE, item shipped from USA to ITALY through eBay Global Shipping Program, item lost (never arrived and tracking NOT AVAILABLE: "Combination Not Found" error message).
Despite of "eBay Money Back Guarantee - Get the item or get your money back" printed in every auction, PAYPAL REFUSED ANY REFUND, writing me:
In response to your claim, the seller has provided proof of shipment
indicating that the item was shipped to you (through EBAY GSP).
Because the seller was able to provide proof of shipment, we cannot reverse this transaction or issue a refund.
THIS IS SHAMEFUL!!!
I HAVE LOST $159,95 USD (Item) + $61,89 USD (shipping and import charges) = TOTAL $221,84 USD
Do not trust EBAY GSP!!!
Taken from here
Has anyone else had problems with Global Shipping ... - The eBay Community

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some Buyers are having problems
guidobit wrote:
I had an identical BAD EXPERIENCE, item shipped from USA to ITALY through eBay Global Shipping Program, item lost (never arrived and tracking NOT AVAILABLE: "Combination Not Found" error message).
Despite of "eBay Money Back Guarantee - Get the item or get your money back" printed in every auction, PAYPAL REFUSED ANY REFUND, writing me:
In response to your claim, the seller has provided proof of shipment
indicating that the item was shipped to you (through EBAY GSP).
Because the seller was able to provide proof of shipment, we cannot reverse this transaction or issue a refund.
THIS IS SHAMEFUL!!!
I HAVE LOST $159,95 USD (Item) + $61,89 USD (shipping and import charges) = TOTAL $221,84 USD
Do not trust EBAY GSP!!!
Taken from here
Has anyone else had problems with Global Shipping ... - The eBay Community
Thank you for posting this. It is a clear example of where the seller would have been screwed had he not opted for the global shipping program for shipping. he would have lost his item and the funds received for the item. It may be bad for some Buyers but it is good for sellers.

But it's like detecting, you only know what you find and don't know how much you miss!
If I made my living selling on the Bay, I would offer every kind of shipping option available. I sold internationally (before the program) for years, I am not missing much.
Now when it comes to detecting, I want to go to Canada, more precisely Dirtyville, and find the guy that goes by the name Iron Patch. I hear he and his buds know some pretty good spots. I wanna detect behind him and see if he misses anything. :laughing7: lol

Bandit2

Jan 7, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wonder if anyone using the Fee Bay GPS actually bothers to READ the Agreement they agree to ?
eBay: Global Shipping Program - Seller Terms & Conditions

I really like this part ( The Small Print way down the page )
Risk of Loss. As between you and your Buyer, the risk of loss or damage to a GSP Item shall remain with you until the GSP Item is accepted at the U.S. Shipping Center or has been returned to you by Pitney Bowes from the U.S. Shipping Center. As between your Buyer and Pitney Bowes, risk of loss or damage to a GSP Item shall transfer to your Buyer from Pitney Bowes and/or its third party parcel processing service providers when the GSP Item leaves the U.S. Shipping Center.
So when is Fee Bay/Pitney Bowes Responsible for the shipment ?

Bandit2

Jan 7, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also if You are a Buyer
Don't forget You will lose the Pitney Bowes fees
GSP does not currently support returns from the buyer to the seller. The seller and the buyer can arrange a return together. In such a case, the import/PB fees would not be refunded to the buyer as the amount was utilized to ship the order forward and, in case import charges were required, those funds have been used to clear the order through customs to deliver to the buyer.

Ex
I am in a similar situation , bought a watch , arrived DOA and not as described , tried to do a PayPal claim but I wil only get less than half of what I paid because shipping is not refundable. On top of this I will have to pay for retunr shipping which will make me lose more money in the process , a breakdown of the whole scam is this : I paid seller $52 out of which $25 for watch and rest shipping. I will have to pay about $15 for return shipping to get back $25. At the end of day I will end up paying $67 and recover $25 a grand loss of $42 from my pocket for a seller mistake or scam.
I am thinking to call my credit Card company and let them deal with this maybe this way I will recover more .
Taken from here
Refund of GSP fees in refund situation - Page 4 - The eBay Canada Community

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can tell you, from experience, Italy, Brazil, Russia, you ship there, never gets there. I should clarify...It gets there...customer does not get it! other countries also. It seems their Post offices are not the Salute/step forward/have all documents in order as the USA.
Also, customs are A royal PITA.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for posting this. It is a clear example of where the seller would have been screwed had he not opted for the global shipping program for shipping. he would have lost his item and the funds received for the item. It may be bad for some Buyers but it is good for sellers.

If I made my living selling on the Bay, I would offer every kind of shipping option available. I sold internationally (before the program) for years, I am not missing much.
Now when it comes to detecting, I want to go to Canada, more precisely Dirtyville, and find the guy that goes by the name Iron Patch. I hear he and his buds know some pretty good spots. I wanna detect behind him and see if he misses anything. :laughing7: lol

Well you know that ain't going to last with the buyer taking the loss.

You'd find very little detecting behind us and we have the plow to thank for that. I pity the people who get into this hobby and think they're going to clean up around here because we've been knocking off every great looking field within 100 miles for the last 13 years. There's always a little left, but definitely not enough to stay unless you knew what came out to begin with. For a decade now I've been saying when you're first it's like buying the rights, because once you get most out of the ground it's yours for good.... and it is!

Bandit2

Jan 7, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Diggummup
I think You have a great idea .
" I want to go to Canada, more precisely Dirtyville, and find the guy that goes by the name Iron Patch. I hear he and his buds know some pretty good spots. I wanna detect behind him and see if he misses anything. lol "
and that Iron Patch is just trying to " Throw Us Off The Track " by claiming that there is " Nothing to Find " After the plows Go Through the Fields " turning up the dirt .
We are Smarter then that , LOL
Just look at Crater of Diamonds State Park in Arkansas .
They have been plowing the 37 1/2 acre field every night since 1952 , and uncovering Diamonds and Gems with every pass .
Diamond Mines - Crater of Diamonds State Park
http://wheretofindrocks.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/august-30-054.jpg
Crater+of+Diamonds+087.JPG (image)
We stopped by on Our way back from 9 weeks of exploring Arizona and New Mexico and just sat on the observation deck and
watched the " Miners " carry out there "Finds "
Bob

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Diggummup
I think You have a great idea .
" I want to go to Canada, more precisely Dirtyville, and find the guy that goes by the name Iron Patch. I hear he and his buds know some pretty good spots. I wanna detect behind him and see if he misses anything. lol "
and that Iron Patch is just trying to " Throw Us Off The Track " by claiming that there is " Nothing to Find " After the plows Go Through the Fields " turning up the dirt .
We are Smarter then that , LOL
Just look at Crater of Diamonds State Park in Arkansas .
They have been plowing the 37 1/2 acre field every night since 1952 , and uncovering Diamonds and Gems with every pass .
Diamond Mines - Crater of Diamonds State Park
http://wheretofindrocks.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/august-30-054.jpg
Crater+of+Diamonds+087.JPG (image)
We stopped by on Our way back from 9 weeks of exploring Arizona and New Mexico and just sat on the observation deck and
watched the " Miners " carry out there "Finds "
Bob

You just show up with a full tank of gas and we'll drive around and I'll show you 50 fields where there was decent sites with early finds.... and you can decide how much is left! :) You would get something though, because we still hunt some of them and probably always will, it's like I said the guys who never know what was there will not think it's worth staying.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread