ebay international shipping problem

dw171

Aug 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sold an item to an international buyer. It was a higher end figurine. I don't charge full shipping cost for most items and just pay the few extra dollars myself. So for this item instead of being 1 lb it needs to be 3lbs. For US shipping not a problem, but with it being international, I don't know what to do. Will it still ship outside US after arriving in KY being 2lbs more than what was originally listed? I'm not sure how shipping works for international buyers. Has anyone run into this situation? Hope this makes sense.

Edit: its only going to Canada

Nickleanddime

Jul 21, 2013
a, ohio
Detector(s) used
A $10 garage sale find.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No it won't ship. It'll be returned to you for additional postage. Did you attach a customs form? If not it'll get tied up to. At least from ashland ohio a red flat rate box will not ship international. So if you did that it might get returned.

And you'll pay around 15 to 20 more bucks to ship that item with the weight. I shipped a 3.9 pound package to Toronto and it cost 29.50 in postage. That was the slowest and cheapest way.

I do have a question. Why are you paying additional postage instead of just getting a scale?

OP
OP
D

dw171

Aug 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
its through ebays gsp. i have a scale, but i dont mind paying a few bucks extra on shipping if it makes the sale.

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
its through ebays gsp. i have a scale, but i dont mind paying a few bucks extra on shipping if it makes the sale.

Yeah that's fine when it's US shipping but when you put down under the global shipping program the weight you have to try to be accurate as much as possible because they pay actual shipping overseas. I have not had one returned I think I had one that was off by maybe 6 ounces so I'm not really sure what will happen if your underweight probably what the post said above above but they will return it or stall it. If all else fails I call you back mask you may have to cancel the order I don't really know.

OP
OP
D

dw171

Aug 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
did some more research online and i'm not the only one whose dealt with this. when they charge shipping with gsp they overcharge in case of error. so what i've read is that it will likely ship to the buyer without issue, but i need to weigh things better if they're selling with gsp.

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
did some more research online and i'm not the only one whose dealt with this. when they charge shipping with gsp they overcharge in case of error. so what i've read is that it will likely ship to the buyer without issue, but i need to weigh things better if they're selling with gsp.

Well now. That explains a lot. I guess that is why people complain about the cost of shipping via GSP. I never understood how they charge so much.

2ndisbest

Nov 6, 2009
I opted out a while back but I do still ship international. I did not see any drop off in international packages. I think the GSP is a scam to be honest.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just want to clarify this thread. I use the GSP on international sales. I have sold many items with free shipping that have gone through the GSP. You don't have to worry about making sure you weigh your items precisely when selling an item via GSP, not for their benefit anyway. Your (domestic) shipping charge is for going from point A (your home) to point B (Pitney Bowes in Ky.), when it comes to an international sale. Your shipping charges have no bearing on what Pitney Bowes is going to charge the customer from point B to point C. That's a whole different animal altogether. Does this make sense now or did I confuse anyone?

OP
OP
D

dw171

Aug 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Makes sense. Both packages I sent have cleared customs and being delivered without problem.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread