eBay Selling - High end and low end OK to mix?

coinbug

Jul 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Fisher Goldbug
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I started selling on eBay over a decade ago, and stopped because it was a hassle, but I've started selling again and mostly enjoy it.

I'd like to focus on higher priced items. eBay has dollar and number limits now (I don't recall that being an issue when I started) but have been pretty accomodating in raising my limits so I can sell higher priced items.

Does anyone have an opinion about mixing low end stuff with much higher priced items like rare coins?

I've seen some sellers with nothing but high-end things and that seems to lend them some credibility. But maybe buyers that are making expensive purchases are more focused on the item and don't care that you're also selling an iPod shuffle?

The lower priced items usually sell quicker and it's nice to get feedback. OTOH maybe it's best to try to differentiate yourself as a higher end seller?

What do y'all think?

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
I won't sell something unless I can make a minimum $15 profit. That sets my lowest sale price at $20+. I currently have an item priced at $2950 with a bunch of items priced between those 2 extremes. I'd dance in the streets if I could sell enough high dollar items to meet my goals. Reality is most months my average sale price per item is between $40-60. The higher end items don't move quick enough.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sell high and low end, mostly low as of late, lol. I will suggest if you plan on selling low dollar items, that is anything $20 or less with shipping, then you should open a paypal micro payments account. The fees are much better for low priced items. You may have to contact paypal directly though as I notice the link no longer works. You do need 2 separate bank accounts though one for regular payments and one for micropayments. This is the reason I have 2 paypal accounts.

OP
OP
C

coinbug

Jul 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Fisher Goldbug
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are good tips.

I only have a couple of high priced items - north of $2000 - which I just listed and one gets a fair bit of traffic while the other gets less but adds some credibility, indicating that I do have some valuable things in my stock.

I almost wouldn't mind if they did take some time to sell as the rest of my items are OK but just stuff I don't mind sending without tracking and with fingers crossed.

I'm leaning towards thinking that the higher end items support each other and the cheaper stuff doesn't bring them down, but instead just adds cash flow and feedback.

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
If you print postage through eBay you get free tracking. That may not help you if you are selling low end coins that can go in a first class envelope.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you only sell higher end where does the money come from to keep buying? Maybe if you have 100k worth of items listed the sales will support the buying, but if you're just starting out it seems like you'll have to keep adding cash, and a lot of it. To do well you either need a lot of money tied up, or move a lot of things quick, and the best situation is to get yourself to having both.

FC-Treasure

Sep 9, 2011
Northern VA
I sell a lot online. Its my experience that for every $1K+ item I sell, I will probably sell 200 items priced between $50 and $200 dollars. So items above one thousand dollars make my day, but items between $50 and $200 pay the bills. There just isn't enough people with that kindof of spending power....

I have noticed that the economy has taken a jump over the last 4-5 weeks and people are buying more high end luxury goods. I guess what happens with me is that I sell a lot of low-mid priced items, then the high end stuff, when it is moving, really is the icing on the cake. They are the sales that turn a good day into a great day, pay for the vacations, etc.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sell a lot online. Its my experience that for every $1K+ item I sell, I will probably sell 200 items priced between $50 and $200 dollars. So items above one thousand dollars make my day, but items between $50 and $200 pay the bills. There just isn't enough people with that kindof of spending power....

I have noticed that the economy has taken a jump over the last 4-5 weeks and people are buying more high end luxury goods. I guess what happens with me is that I sell a lot of low-mid priced items, then the high end stuff, when it is moving, really is the icing on the cake. They are the sales that turn a good day into a great day, pay for the vacations, etc.

So what type of things do you sell to move that many?

FC-Treasure

Sep 9, 2011
Northern VA
So what type of things do you sell to move that many?

Caveat... When I say "sold" I mean I was credited with a sale and received a commission. I don't carry inventory. 55% last year was used books, but that market has dried up for me for various reasons. Now my sales are in a much broader range of items across all product categories. I've owned an Internet website for over 12 years that drives traffic to eBay.

Oh, on the personal side, I sell postage stamps, Legos, and used electronics on eBay. I'm most pleased with the Legos lately, but that volume is very low compared to my eBay website sales. eBay postage stamp sales are what funded the creation of my website, but I'm afraid that hobby is dying.

Last edited:

Drmad7

Apr 26, 2014
Midwest
Primary Interest:
Other
Caveat... When I say "sold" I mean I was credited with a sale and received a commission. I don't carry inventory. 55% last year was used books, but that market has dried up for me for various reasons. Now my sales are in a much broader range of items across all product categories. I've owned an Internet website for over 12 years that drives traffic to eBay.

Oh, on the personal side, I sell postage stamps, Legos, and used electronics on eBay. I'm most pleased with the Legos lately, but that volume is very low compared to my eBay website sales. eBay postage stamp sales are what funded the creation of my website, but I'm afraid that hobby is dying.

I've still got 20+ albums of stamps to dump on eBay! Need to sell them before the market is dead completely!

Omega

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2013
SoCal
Primary Interest:
Other
I sell things from watches for $1, up to high priced items north of $5000.
Never had a problem mixing high and low priced items. Kind of draws more people to your store since you get all kinds of shoppers.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread