Ebay store vs just listing

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm running out of my "free" listings for the month. I have so much to sell for the holidays. Every time I have to used the comparison feature on Ebay, it always tells me to stick with the listings and not to get a store.

1-How many listings do you need to do to make it worthwhile?

2- Is a store mostly for BIN vs auction?

3-One advantage I see is being able to organize your auctions for buyers

4-One disadvantage is the price / commit to a year for $15 a month or $20 a month not. That means basically I have to list 100 stuff and it will cost me $0.20 a auction, right? I never list BIN anymore, since they took away the free BINs. My average listings a week are about 20-40, but that is because of my limits for free auctions. Two weeks ago I had 50 auctions up and sold 8.

I am going back and forth on what to do. I can't decide!!!!!!!!!!!

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like Nike said Just do it! Your stuff doesn't make any money sitting there and I think $15/ month shouldn't be a dealbreaker especially some of the jewelry you found. $15 is $15 but if it gives you the opportunity to make an extra five or $600 a month then what's $15? I The next one up and usually have more listings then I know what to do with.

image-247464140.jpg

I guess I got it a couple days ago but I normally have more then I'll ever use. So technically I probably don't need the $50 store but I have not really looked into the basic one at all either. I've had mine for six years and I've never had a reason to not have it. You can cancel it after a couple months if you want to if you don't like it I don't think you're going to see the loss of $15 though. Especially if you have the option to list more stuff and make more money. Or just pay the $.30 to list them all.

dw171

Aug 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use my store for the BIN. I think they just use up your listings so it shouldn't cost extra. They had a promotion going on a few weeks earlier for stores. You also get a 1% FVF discount I believe. I think the basic store is worth the money, even though I don't list anywhere near 100 items a month.

Paleo_joe

Mar 5, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have never spent as much in listing fees as a store would cost.

If I had a store, I feel like it would become like my antique mall display case: a place where inventory sits tying up money.

Maybe if what I was selling didn't change all the time, or if I thought of myself as a storekeeper rather than a flipper, it might make sense.

dumpsterdiver

Dec 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm more of the "slow dime" type discussed on here before. If I ran the calculator I was always on the border of it being worthwhile. The uptick in sales the first month was worth it.

But many of my items are fairly unique so I think that adds some pressure to potential buyers.

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess before you open a store call eBay and ask if they will raise your limits. I don't know if they can do it without having a store but I just called mine because it keeps saying I only have 60 free listings 59, 58.... So I just sat on the phone for 20 minutes and they raised my limits to 700 free listings and $70,000 limit. Supposedly you can call every month and ask them to raise your limits if you are close to hitting them. I don't know if I will list another 60 things this month but chances are pretty good. And also I still have a large coin collection I need to get up here at some point.

meanpc

Jun 11, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess before you open a store call eBay and ask if they will raise your limits. I don't know if they can do it without having a store but I just called mine because it keeps saying I only have 60 free listings 59, 58.... So I just sat on the phone for 20 minutes and they raised my limits to 700 free listings and $70,000 limit. Supposedly you can call every month and ask them to raise your limits if you are close to hitting them. I don't know if I will list another 60 things this month but chances are pretty good. And also I still have a large coin collection I need to get up here at some point.

This is accurate. I had to call them every month at first because I was close to my max # of items every month. If you are at least using half of your total items OR total sales, give them a call and they will review your performance and bump it up substantially. Every time I have called for this purpose they always ask me where I get my inventory from. "Garage sales". Don't know what they are doing with that info.

OP
OP
M

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
I kept waiting, thinking that they would offer a lot of free listings for Thanksgiving. Sure enough ... I got 500 free listings, fixed or auction. I worked last week to get a bunch ready to list, so I have 60 listings set to start tomorrow (well, today). I have a bunch more I have to work on to get them up asap. I have until Wednesday to get them all up. I am going to use mostly fixed listings. All bad thing is I can only do up to 10 days, rather than 30 days. Oh well. I'll take what I can get at this point.

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I kept waiting, thinking that they would offer a lot of free listings for Thanksgiving. Sure enough ... I got 500 free listings, fixed or auction. I worked last week to get a bunch ready to list, so I have 60 listings set to start tomorrow (well, today). I have a bunch more I have to work on to get them up asap. I have until Wednesday to get them all up. I am going to use mostly fixed listings. All bad thing is I can only do up to 10 days, rather than 30 days. Oh well. I'll take what I can get at this point.

Do you still get a discount on shipping ?

dumpsterdiver

Dec 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I really think not constantly re listing the items is worth the $20. But its very quick to relist what didn't sell in your store and focus your time making new listings.

My shipping discount ranges from 40% to probably 10% I can never figure out why.

OP
OP
M

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
I still haven't decided yet one way or the other. Thanks to you guys, I called and got my limits raised, which is good. I have 99 auctions up right now. I have to see how my fixed listings do vs my auctions.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread