Ebay to refund or not to refund??

ppratt

Jun 19, 2003
South western PA
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT
I sold a known broken laptop on ebay a month ago, and now the person wants to send it back because it's broken. I posted it in the broken not working section under laptops. Stated the motherboard was gone but the other parts were good like screen etc.. I also stated AS-IS no returns. Now he opened a case against me that I wont return the money (126.00) . What do you guys think? Just ride out the storm? He took apart the item to replace the motherboard how do I know what else he did. What tools did he use? Did he use a ESD station? Did he break off a ribbon? damage the processor. I can go on and on. I dont see how I Ebay will make me return the money.

Hosensack

Apr 20, 2007
Mertztown, Pa
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Safari,X-Terra 705, Tesoro Tejon, Whites DFX, Garrett AT Pro, GTI 2500, 250, Fisher Gold Bug DP,F75 Limited
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Paypal will be the issue. There are very few limitations to why a buyer can cancel payment up to 60 days later. I'm not saying just do it, but you need to preemptively get in contact with PayPal if you plan to not refund, and get the ball in your court. Otherwise you end up with a recent negative feedback no money for the product and whatever probation Paypal may levee.

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
I feel your pain. I am going through something similar right now. I sold an electronic item to someone recently. It was listed as working with issues and then I listed the issues and said no returns. Well, of course the buyer contacted me and stated he wanted a refund because there are issues with the item!:dontknow:
Not worth the hassle so I just offered a full refund and be done with it.

OP
OP
ppratt

ppratt

Jun 19, 2003
South western PA
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT
So far so good I talk to ebay and paypal both say there should be an issue. I posted it in the right section (not working). I shipped it out in a timely matter and I'm sddressing all matters pertainig to this auction in a timely matter even though it's not in the favor of the buyer. Still cant see how they can make me refund it. The buyer tore it apart. Who lets someone take something apart and refund there money if they cant make it work?

Zofchak

Mar 11, 2009
Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac, Excaliburs, Sovereign GT and Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sold a known broken laptop on ebay a month ago, and now the person wants to send it back because it's broken. I posted it in the broken not working section under laptops. Stated the motherboard was gone but the other parts were good like screen etc.. I also stated AS-IS no returns. Now he opened a case against me that I wont return the money (126.00) . What do you guys think? Just ride out the storm? He took apart the item to replace the motherboard how do I know what else he did. What tools did he use? Did he use a ESD station? Did he break off a ribbon? damage the processor. I can go on and on. I dont see how I Ebay will make me return the money.

Over the past few years Ebay's feedback and refund process has shifted to heavily favor buyers. Chances are good that Paypal or the buyers credit card company will end up forcing you to refund the buyer, so I've found that it's best to just work with the buyer and issue the refund in most cases. I know it's not right that buyers are allowed to game the system, but the lost sales and extra seller fees that go along with having a negative feedback just are not worth it.

Last edited:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you're ok and PP will rule in your favor but you should make a real effort to talk to the buyer and get your point across about him having opened it. You're no doubt going to catch a negative but don't make him so mad he'll be out to get you. Block him right now.

You seem to be leaving out the reason he is not happy. What exactly did he say was the problem because obviously he knew it was broken if he was into it.

Coinstriking Michigan

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2011
Gladstone, MI
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900 Di Pro Sl and Whites Eagle Spectrum Fisher Coinstrike Fisher F70 Whites M6 Garrett 1500 Tesoro Cibola
Whites XLT Minelab Quattro Minelab Xterra 50 Fisher Id Edge
Tekentics Omega 8000 Whi
Primary Interest:
Other
I'd tell him to kiss me where it smells funny.

OP
OP
ppratt

ppratt

Jun 19, 2003
South western PA
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT
I think you're ok and PP will rule in your favor but you should make a real effort to talk to the buyer and get your point across about him having opened it. You're no doubt going to catch a negative but don't make him so mad he'll be out to get you. Block him right now.

You seem to be leaving out the reason he is not happy. What exactly did he say was the problem because obviously he knew it was broken if he was into it.

He is having a problem with the motherboard, that was the issue I stated that was wrong with the laptop.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He is having a problem with the motherboard, that was the issue I stated that was wrong with the laptop.

Did he already file a claim, and if so is that what he said? It would be pretty dumb to base a claim on what was clearly started. If he was smart he'd make up something that wasn't said, but I doubt he'll be that clever. It's relatively easy to work the Paypal system if you play it right because it is true they do favor the buyers, but chances are he'll shoot himself in the foot.

OP
OP
ppratt

ppratt

Jun 19, 2003
South western PA
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT
Yes he did open a claim. I talked to paypal and ebay they said it looks good for me. He said he replaced the board and still having the same issue. I never stated it would work after replacing the board the LED code from HP stated that is most likely the answer. In my austion I said the board was bad everything else worked.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes he did open a claim. I talked to paypal and ebay they said it looks good for me. He said he replaced the board and still having the same issue. I never stated it would work after replacing the board the LED code from HP stated that is most likely the answer. In my austion I said the board was bad everything else worked.

It should be cut and dry for PP. He probably would have won had he not done anything, but now there's no way you can send something back after opening it up. If he wins for some dumb reason file an appeal right away.

calisdad

Bronze Member
Sep 8, 2010
Groveland, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stay on top of it. I had a similar problem recently and had to excellerate the claim but eventually I won. It helps tremendously to talk to a real person at PayPal.

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It logically sounds like you SHOULD be protected in this case by PayPal.

But just remember one simple rule about eBay. If you accept PayPal, there is no such thing as "no returns." A smart buyer can always return the item if they like. It's really simple.

Zofchak

Mar 11, 2009
Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac, Excaliburs, Sovereign GT and Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well we just got an answer ebay has ruled in my favor. :)

That's good to hear. :icon_thumright: Hopefully the buyer will be reasonable with his feedback.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread