Ebay vs brand new

Joe Dirt

Sep 22, 2012
Silvertown, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Sun Ray DX-1 Probe, Vintage late 70's Radio Shack junker.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If the seller your dealing with sells a lot of metal detecting stuff & has 100's of positive feedback's with no negative feedback's then I feel you can trust em! I got my Sun Ray DX-1 used on eBay for about 1/2 price with shipping, the seller had 600+ positive feedback's & 0 negative! That's a 100% seller rating & someone you can't go wrong with! They don't want to loose their 100% I can guarantee you! If you have a problem they will take care of it as their feedback proves. Do you know how hard it is to have 600+ feedback's & 0 negative? It's almost impossible, as many people are hard to please & I know that from first hand experience selling on eBay years ago.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If the seller your dealing with sells a lot of metal detecting stuff & has 100's of positive feedback's with no negative feedback's then I feel you can trust em! I got my Sun Ray DX-1 used on eBay for about 1/2 price with shipping, the seller had 600+ positive feedback's & 0 negative! That's a 100% seller rating & someone you can't go wrong with! They don't want to loose their 100% I can guarantee you! If you have a problem they will take care of it as their feedback proves. Do you know how hard it is to have 600+ feedback's & 0 negative? It's almost impossible, as many people are hard to please & I know that from first hand experience selling on eBay years ago.

That really makes no sense that a seller has to have zero negatives because there's way too many idiots that no matter what you do you can't please and they will leave negative. I was over 4,500 feedback with zero negatives and ran into two of these people in the same freakin week! One I believe was trying to rip me off, and the other was an absolute nutcase. So by your standards I was good enough one week, but the next I wasn't. Negatives don't scare me in the least because my decision is based on much more than just that number.

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Unless money is no object to you I would listen to Treasure Hunter and buy off the classifieds here. There are five reasons. First, like he says you can save money. Second, the unit will probably be in great working order and you know what you're getting. Third, more than likely you or someone else here knows the seller and trusts them. Fourth, you can probably go back to them online for help in getting used to it and finally, it is just the right thing to do to help out and support other members here. Ebay is iffy and Craigslist is the only site in America where you show up to buy and maybe get shot and robbed. But it's your choice partner. Whatever you do we all expect to see the finds.

Joe Dirt

Sep 22, 2012
Silvertown, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That really makes no sense that a seller has to have zero negatives because there's way too many idiots that no matter what you do you can't please and they will leave negative. I was over 4,500 feedback with zero negatives and ran into two of these people in the same freakin week! One I believe was trying to rip me off, and the other was an absolute nutcase. So by your standards I was good enough one week, but the next I wasn't. Negatives don't scare me in the least because my decision is based on much more than just that number.

I'm not saying a seller with a 99% or 98% positive feedback rating isn't a good seller, not at all & BTW it is someone I personally would buy from! My last purchase was a no brainier from a 100% positive seller thus I KNEW I couldn't go wrong. You read way too much into what I was saying. 99% & 98% sellers with 100's of sales usually are fine without question. The original poster & some others seem mighty scared of eBay purchases & I gave them a way or reason to find a can't go wrong way to deal with eBay. If your that paranoid then stick to 100% sellers, tho I personally am not that paranoid! & I know the rip off types that you described, had many people try to rip me off & leave negative feedback & that's when I said the heck with selling on eBay!

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2008
Morristown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett AT GOLD with NEL coil,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have had pretty good luck with eBay but I am very careful at what I buy. I bought a DFX 300 for $800 from a guy who thought it was too complicated. He used it one time and it had a full warranty (was bought one month before he listed). I sold the 12" coil for $125 and bought a new stock 950 coil on eBay for $35. I used this machine for about 3 years and then I resold it on eBay for $750. I just recently bought a TDI for $675 with free shipping. It is in like new condition. Yes you can get some great deals online but again you have to do your homework. I buy from people who metal detect and not from people selling everything they can get their hands on. I also have bought from dealers. I much prefer to buy thru the dealers but sometimes you can't pass up a good deal online if you come across one.

Ultramanv

Greenie
Sep 19, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm new to the Treasure hunting hobby .. But i have limited funds so . I bought a BH Fastracker on Craigslist . Met the person, tested it and it had the manual still attached to it Paid 20.00 for it .. Went to the beach the first weekend and found enough to buy the next level up. So i was happy to get one for a fraction... My goal was to start this with the lowest and let my finds pay for each upgrade till i get to the one i want..

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not saying a seller with a 99% or 98% positive feedback rating isn't a good seller, not at all & BTW it is someone I personally would buy from! My last purchase was a no brainier from a 100% positive seller thus I KNEW I couldn't go wrong. You read way too much into what I was saying. 99% & 98% sellers with 100's of sales usually are fine without question. The original poster & some others seem mighty scared of eBay purchases & I gave them a way or reason to find a can't go wrong way to deal with eBay. If your that paranoid then stick to 100% sellers, tho I personally am not that paranoid! & I know the rip off types that you described, had many people try to rip me off & leave negative feedback & that's when I said the heck with selling on eBay!

Dude, you're the one who said it, I just replied. That's some pretty substantial criteria to buy a detector and would probably rule almost everyone out.

"If the seller your dealing with sells a lot of metal detecting stuff & has 100's of positive feedback's with no negative feedback's then I feel you can trust em!" So if they don't have that you can't trust them? I know the answer but it took you making another post to make that clear.

Joe Dirt

Sep 22, 2012
Silvertown, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dude, you're the one who said it, I just replied. That's some pretty substantial criteria to buy a detector and would probably rule almost everyone out.

"If the seller your dealing with sells a lot of metal detecting stuff & has 100's of positive feedback's with no negative feedback's then I feel you can trust em!" So if they don't have that you can't trust them? I know the answer but it took you making another post to make that clear.

Yes I said "If the seller your dealing with sells a lot of metal detecting stuff & has 100's of positive feedback's with no negative feedback's then I feel you can trust em!". The KEY word is YOU... I said "I feel YOU can trust em", it's me saying I would go out on a limb & suggest you deal with that seller. I'm not going out on a limb for someone else on their purchase on anything other than what I feel is a guarantee for them. This is not what I'd do for myself per say but I suggest anyone who is that paranoid should stick with 99.9% or 100% sellers. Someone else stated just do your home work on the seller & if they seem to buy & resell anything & everything under the sun you might wanna avoid em. This is "grey" area as if the seller has a very high feedback regardless of where he obtained his merchandise it kinda says he doesn't typically sell overpriced junk.

On eBay if you don't know what to look for & how to read between the lines you might get taken. Trying to explain the ins & outs to those who don't know already this & who are worried or paranoid is futile, so my advice to those people is stick to the sure thing & the easiest way (without doing homework on sellers & reading between the lines) to spot a sure thing is buy from a 100% seller. There are lots & lots of 100% sellers anymore for some reason, I notice them more & more all the time or at least more than I use to..

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes I said "If the seller your dealing with sells a lot of metal detecting stuff & has 100's of positive feedback's with no negative feedback's then I feel you can trust em!". The KEY word is YOU... I said "I feel YOU can trust em", it's me saying I would go out on a limb & suggest you deal with that seller. I'm not going out on a limb for someone else on their purchase on anything other than what I feel is a guarantee for them. This is not what I'd do for myself per say but I suggest anyone who is that paranoid should stick with 99.9% or 100% sellers. Someone else stated just do your home work on the seller & if they seem to buy & resell anything & everything under the sun you might wanna avoid em. This is "grey" area as if the seller has a very high feedback regardless of where he obtained his merchandise it kinda says he doesn't typically sell overpriced junk.

On eBay if you don't know what to look for & how to read between the lines you might get taken. Trying to explain the ins & outs to those who don't know already this & who are worried or paranoid is futile, so my advice to those people is stick to the sure thing & the easiest way (without doing homework on sellers & reading between the lines) to spot a sure thing is buy from a 100% seller. There are lots & lots of 100% sellers anymore for some reason, I notice them more & more all the time or at least more than I use to..

Regardless it makes little sense to suggest 100% seller is much different than a 99%, or a 98%, and that a buyer is anymore safe passing up deals to find the guy who is at 100%.

The reason you see more 100% sellers is a combination of being able to cancel out feedback, and negatives only lasting a year. So that backs up what I say even more because a seller could have a ton of negatives and just be clean for one year (maybe he took a year off) and a buyer would never know the difference unless they checked multiple pages of feedback and the dates, which I doubt anyone would do seeing 100%. That also means your advice is not a guarantee at all, and why a person has to use common sense no matter what the number says. Heck, a new seller could get screwed buy some tool in his first week and suffer a bad feedback for quite a while, and that doesn't mean you shouldn't buy from him. I have bought many many times from people who had feedback lower then 90% with no problems, because it had much more to do with how few deals they did and not how honest they were.

PS: You'd be surprised to know how many "good" sellers with high feedback sell fake watches on ebay, or at least try to. It's possible they don't know the difference, but that doesn't matter to a buyer because in the end if they don't do their homework they are the ones who get burned. Even the watches that are so fake that a real model doesn't even exist still get lots of bids. Who are these people buying this stuff! lol Just thinking about this I think we might both be wasting our breath here because there's always going to be people who do stupid things..... like the buyer I missed by 20 minutes from sending $5,000 to China for a fake coin! He literally had just got back from wiring the money when he read my message that the auction was an obvious fraud. He said he felt sick, and I bet he did.

Last edited:

Muddyhandz

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2012
In da bush
Detector(s) used
Fisher's 1266X, 1270X & 1280X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are sellers that peddle fake fur trade items for years now and they have 100% positive feedback. I don't know how or why they don't have any negative feedback. I just figured the buyers were too dumb to even know what's real.
Use e-bay with extreme caution!
Cheers.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread