Ebay writer calls metal detectorists "scavengers" in a post on cleaning coins...

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Searching for single coins and jewels and buried treasures could be a hobby and a business for many, which all of us enjoy. It is also added income for some, and a way of supporting our families by recovering buried treasures. Honest treasure hunters pay their state and federal income taxes. May God bless our treasure hunters. I am a treasure hunter since 1964 and proud of it. I enjoy searching the Connecticut beaches watching the young ladies, and finding single coins and jewels that stupid people leave behind. I enjoy researching stories on buries treasures and I hope to find some before God call me home.

Last edited:

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
None of his cleaning techniques apply to dug hammered coins and seem to apply to American coinage, so his comment doesn't affect me but clearly he is a idiot.:laughing7:

SS

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn't bother reading the article, most of what we find has been lost not discarded.
If he ever loses his car keys at a beach....maybe someone with a detector will...uh, scavenge them up for him. :D

eddiecurrent

Dec 25, 2015
Treasure coast Fl.
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1236-x2, fisher cz3d and cz 20, tesoro golden sabre II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That was hard to read, the writer would've got a "D" in 10th grade English class.
Hey, the negative connotation is probably what meant, but yeah, who cares.
I spoke on the phone with a possible date from an internet dating site, when I told her my hobby was metal detecting she said she always thought of those guys as "bottom feeders".
Needless to say the date never happened!
In my city they give out permits to people who want to go to the landfill site and find stuff, they call it a "scavenger permit".
It's actually titled that way. I picked one up just to hang in my garage.

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn't bother reading the article, most of what we find has been lost not discarded.
If he ever loses his car keys at a beach....maybe someone with a detector will...uh, scavenge them up for him. :D
Yes..then chuck them further into the sea.:laughing7:

SS

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I'm a beach bunny..... :tongue3: Wait....., no, that's not right...... :icon_scratch: :laughing7:
I have a beach, I scratch around in it, it looks like a big litterbox...... yep, I'm still a tekker cat. :notworthy:

SS, I had a friend do that to a fella, didn't want to give her a reward and was a jerk about it. She chucked them back into the ocean and wished him a lot of luck with it! :laughing7:

Thanks for the write-up EC, I prefer reading comments, than most the articles anyway. I get a better laugh that way usually. :laughing7:

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I replied to the comment I was throwing all my coins into the tumbler with hot peroxide and concrete etcher.........i should post some on ebay at some astronomical price and say moon washed. What a bunch of bs????

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread