Eclectic bunch of items

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
I walked a harvested field and a small timber today. Visual hunting as well as swinging the Simplex. As seen:
Hedge balls (put around foundation in autumn as a spider deterrent), a harness ring with a link attached, a trace carrier for harness leather with root grown into it, chunk of unknown iron, a tent stake with cord still attached, a chunk of aqua glass with a great bubble in it, a chunk of flint and a tiny fossil. There was also plenty of can slaw, nails and wire. Thanks for looking. 👍🏼

Attachments

• IMG_2150.jpeg
    IMG_2150.jpeg
    836.9 KB · Views: 77
Upvote 12

Almy

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2011
Maritime Provinces
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Other
What are those hedge balls made of? I've seen seed pod clumps from some plants that look like that. I wonder why spiders don't like them?

cajundetector

Mar 4, 2023
I walked a harvested field and a small timber today. Visual hunting as well as swinging the Simplex. As seen:
Hedge balls (put around foundation in autumn as a spider deterrent), a harness ring with a link attached, a trace carrier for harness leather with root grown into it, chunk of unknown iron, a tent stake with cord still attached, a chunk of aqua glass with a great bubble in it, a chunk of flint and a tiny fossil. There was also plenty of can slaw, nails and wire. Thanks for looking. 👍🏼
Very nice! I’m sure there’s much more just a lurking around.

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice!!! Congrats!!!

OP
OP
Blackfoot58

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
What are those hedge balls made of? I've seen seed pod clumps from some plants that look like that. I wonder why spiders don't like them?
They are just the natural fruit from the hedge tree, aka Osage Orange.

robertk

Bronze Member
May 16, 2023
Missouri
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
White's Spectra v3i
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Whites Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are osage orange fruits! look for a nasty spiky tree near by. Usually indicates an old house site in my experience.
They look pretty fresh. If they're old, they're really well preserved. Around here, they don't last the winter without just turning to brown mush and basically dissolving.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Now I learnt something new today from your posting.
Hedge balls, never heard of such things before.
So inquiring mind looked it up and the spider/mouse/cockroach deterrent hasn't been proven-but has it been unproven is the question.
I guess we're just not in the zone that they grow.

OP
OP
Blackfoot58

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
They look pretty fresh. If they're old, they're really well preserved. Around here, they don't last the winter without just turning to brown mush and basically dissolving.
They just dropped from the tree. They start rotting soon after.

Kona Koma

Bronze Member
Nov 13, 2017
On the Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Quattro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That thing that is second from the left I am quite sure it is a type of Horse bridal fastener

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have some like that on my horse halters and bridals

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread