Economic Offsets

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
In these hard times things just keep costing more and more. So, without getting into politics and government slams, what are some of the habits, or everyday practices or thoughts that you have either set in place or considered to help offset the rising cost of living?

Wife & I "google" FREE stuff on the "net"; FREE MONEY on the "net"...

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Started a very small web development company. Not much income, but puts a little gas in the jeep and some food on the table.

Occasionally, pays for PC repairs and software upgrades.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been getting back into buying and reselling a bit. Helps offset the cost of gas, etc.

onfire

Silver Member
Nov 30, 2004
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
250 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hard Times??? Every time I turn on the T.V. I'm told things are great?? I guess if I had to contend with that I'd take up gardening or shop at the farmers market, lite some candles, get a bike, stand on the corner with one of those witty signs, (Charlie Manson made 35K a year back in the 60's) probably the biggest thing is get rid of this computer:laughing7: cell phone, atv, boat, cars, but I'll keep my detector always can find a few cents.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hard Times??? Every time I turn on the T.V. I'm told things are great?? I guess if I had to contend with that I'd take up gardening or shop at the farmers market, lite some candles, get a bike, stand on the corner with one of those witty signs, (Charlie Manson made 35K a year back in the 60's) probably the biggest thing is get rid of this computer:laughing7: cell phone, atv, boat, cars, but I'll keep my detector always can find a few cents.

Not sure what station you are watching but I don't think anyone is claiming things are, "great". :laughing7:

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hubby makes the bucks, I spend and pay the bills. So I am frugal and smart buyer. I take care of my pennies and the dollars take care of themselves.
We just spend a bit less on extras we took for granted. Now I would rather put all that money towards my 5th wheel vacations. So I am MORE frugal with household situations.

times will get worse so I am always on the watch about savings bucks.

little things like complete trips when I head into town. get it all done in one shot saves gas having to go back again for something else.
eat out a bit less and use coupons when eating out. Drink water instead of a tea or something like that. Kids eat free places are great (kiddo meals are getting pricey :) )

just doing the best we can in harder times.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
COMMUNE?!!! LGA! "Scoop" lived in a COMMUNE ??? FREE Love & all THAT stuff? YIKES!

....:laughing7:....free love.....bell bottoms.....peace signs.....psychedelic "buses" and mini vans.....yep, I can see "It's all great" in that situation. About now a commune don't seem like a bad idea. :laughing7:

0121stockpicker

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2012
MA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Only buy what you can pay cash for so you are not paying the banks for the use of their money. Forgo the cheap daily things that don't mean much - Starbucks, etc - so you can save and have money for the big stuff. Save:invest very early in your life and then your money will work for you. Never try to keep up with the Jones' - they might have fancy stuff but they are likely in debt up to their heads. A lot of pleasure/joy can be had from not material goods - best things in life are free!!

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't know if I want to take advice from someone calling themselves "stockpicker" unless you're talking about livestock. :) (just kidding) As mentioned in another thread; grow a lot of your own stuff, plant fruit trees, do some canning, freezing and drying; it is actually quite rewarding in many ways. It's amazing how many people have never grown their own tomato or ate a fesh egg. We had t-bone for dinner Saturday from beef we raised ourselves. Talk about tender!!!!!!!!!!!!....and we know where it came from.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Don't know if I want to take advice from someone calling themselves "stockpicker" unless you're talking about livestock. :) (just kidding) As mentioned in another thread; grow a lot of your own stuff, plant fruit trees, do some canning, freezing and drying; it is actually quite rewarding in many ways. It's amazing how many people have never grown their own tomato or ate a fesh egg. We had t-bone for dinner Saturday from beef we raised ourselves. Talk about tender!!!!!!!!!!!!....and we know where it came from.

ELSIE!

lost

Jul 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I shop for groceries at my Super walmart. Man, you can save big bucks at that place.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions