Ecuador metal detecting- anyone there or been down that way?

perdidogringo

Apr 21, 2011
El Dorado
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, Fisher CZ-21, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi All,

I'm considering a job offer in Quito, Ecuador and one of the advantages of moving there is the potential to metal detect for Spanish colonial relics and cobs. I've lived in 3 other Latin American countries and had some success metal detecting so I am hoping for the same in Ecuador. I would love to make some MD connections there as well. Are there any forum members living there currently or can anyone chime in with any experiences with the hobby in the country? Thanks in advance!

Upnorth42

Sep 26, 2014
Nova Scotia
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi All,

I'm considering a job offer in Quito, Ecuador and one of the advantages of moving there is the potential to metal detect for Spanish colonial relics and cobs. I've lived in 3 other Latin American countries and had some success metal detecting so I am hoping for the same in Ecuador. I would love to make some MD connections there as well. Are there any forum members living there currently or can anyone chime in with any experiences with the hobby in the country? Thanks in advance!
Looks like it's going to be quiet on this one. If you do go down there please give a report on what it's like. I have thought a few times it might be a good place to spend winters in the future. It would be great if the metal detecting is good there also.

Nathan Kok

Jul 4, 2023
Not sure if anyone is still looking at this thread, but my family will be moving to Quito in a couple weeks, and I am debating taking my Garrett AT Pro down. I'm a history teacher and love locating historic sites to dig. Obviously tons of history in Ecuador, and would love to run into some 'off the beaten path' Spanish colonial sites. Let me know if you ended up with the job or took you detector down there.

OP
OP
perdidogringo

perdidogringo

Apr 21, 2011
El Dorado
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, Fisher CZ-21, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure if anyone is still looking at this thread, but my family will be moving to Quito in a couple weeks, and I am debating taking my Garrett AT Pro down. I'm a history teacher and love locating historic sites to dig. Obviously tons of history in Ecuador, and would love to run into some 'off the beaten path' Spanish colonial sites. Let me know if you ended up with the job or took you detector down there.
Hey Nathan,

I ended up taking a job in Asia instead. However, Ecuador was very high on my list due to my interest in the hobby. Part of me regrets it, but the financials just didn't justify it this time. Hoping to return to Latin America after this last Asian post- at least, that's the plan for now. Good luck to you down there!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread