Silver Member
Nov 18, 2007
Port Huron, Mi.
Detector(s) used
Freedom Ace Coin Commander and Ace 250
S

stefen

Re: Eddie's Drive-in

I remember those days...Mel's Diner in Downey, the Clock Drive-in Restaurant in Lakewood, A & W Rootbeer, In-n-Out Burgers...

Mel's is being reopened...In-n-Out Burgers are now combination drive-thru's and walk-ins...

Still have cruzin nights in some cities...

In fact, I just came from a Regional Classic Chevy car show in Enderly Square this morning and another at Bob Big Boy's across from the the Duck Pond in Orange...

Everything from the 20's to Rat Rods to Vets-on steroids...

OP
OP
Ray S S

Ray S S

Silver Member
Nov 18, 2007
Port Huron, Mi.
Detector(s) used

Stefen, Yup, I remember them, too. My first car was a '51 Ford that I bought in '57. It cost me $200.00. We had those
drive-in joints with the cute car-hops. I like those car shows with the cars from the '40's, '50's, and '60's. Those were
when they had good styling. And speaking of those car-hops... the summer before I got my car, a friend and I rode
our horses into town to ride in the 4th of July parade in Port Huron. The rest of the saddle club members trailered
their horses into town, but since it was only about 8 miles we decided to ride them. After the parade was over, we
started riding back home and on the way was an A&W with the car hops. It was hot and the parking lot was empty
so we decided to stop and get a root beer and flirt with the girls. Turning off the road , at the end of the building
was a railing made of galvanized pipe. From back aways it looked like a hitch rail like they have in the western
movies, so it was perfect. We rode up and tied our horses to the railing and sat at their outside counter. First thing we
know, the girls are all around us asking about the horses and stuff. It was fun while it lasted. A couple of the girls
even brought out some water for the horses so we took off our cowboy style hats and dumped the water in them
to water the horses. LOL. By this time it was starting to get pretty busy with customers coming in to see the horses
and were keeping the girls too busy waiting on them to talk to us so we finished our drinks and left. we talked and
joked about that for quite a while afterwards. We sure had a ball that day.

Ray

S

stefen

Great times...

If you recall the Ron Howards 1962 movie, 'American Grafitti'...that same senerio originated in Bellflower / Downey, California (Dairy Valley) in the mid 50's with 30, 40 and 50's era cars. Bellflower Blvd was the cruise strip Friday and Saturday nights.

Most of the cars were owned by the Dutch milkers...It was a tradition that each boy recieved a new car on this 16th birthday...

Before the car hit the streets it was shaved, lowered, piped and painted by Watson

Dave Watson who originated the pinstripping and custom flame jobs painted most of the cars except those that were done under an apple tree or by $29.95 cheapa$$ Earl Scheib paint jobs. Watson paint shop began in his dads driveway while he was a student at Bellflower HS and grew into a career...Watson, by the way died a month or so ago.

Each year since, Bellflower hosts a car show with cars lining boths sides of Bellflower Blvd for about a mile in length...here are 2 cars from dutch classmates that grew up in that era...I'd guess that there were maybe 30 other guys from our class entered into the show...

ohiograndpa

May 25, 2006
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Brings back good memories..For me it was Midway Drive Inn......... Red 62 Chevy Convertible & 58 Chevy "348" Black with White Convertable top.

OP
OP
Ray S S

Ray S S

Silver Member
Nov 18, 2007
Port Huron, Mi.
Detector(s) used

Hello, Stefen, Yes I saw 'American Grafitti' but it was so long ago that I don't remember much about it. This is some interesting
info you put on here. That sounds like a great car show there at Bellflower. Thanks for your reply.

Greetings, Ohiograndpa, We do have some good memories from back in those days, don't we. I only had one convertible
and that was after I was married. It was a bright red '65 chevy with a white top. My wife and I both enjoyed having that
one. Thanks for your reply.

Ray

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread