Edison Battery oil Bottle

gallileo60

Apr 30, 2007
Gulf Coast, Texas
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Ace 250, Garrett 1350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found an old Edison Battery oil bottle by the train track sticking out of the mud when the tide was real low..Kinda cool, has his name hand written in the glass...i thought I was rich for a minute, or two, but I see they are pretty common....Still was pretty neat..Only about a block from my job off of Clear Creek....Sure would like to go thru the mud, and see whats in it.Tom

JRich98150

May 29, 2007
Middleburg, Florida 32068
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
Galliloe60,

Your Edison bottle used to contain battery acid. With the invention of electricity and lights some places used stacks of batteries. The batteries either generated the electric current or in the case of being found by a railroad track they were used to recharge a stack of batteries in a signal or communication shack. In the case of a signal system if local power went down the backup batteries would run the signal system in that circuit until the batteries ran down or the local power was restored. Occasionally you'll find a cache of railroad line insulators burried around the telephone poles and if there is an old wooden or newer metal shack you might find these old Edision battery acid bottles around the area. Nice old collectible bottle.

JRich

OP
OP
gallileo60

gallileo60

Apr 30, 2007
Gulf Coast, Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
JRich98150 said:
Galliloe60,

Your Edison bottle used to contain battery acid. With the invention of electricity and lights some places used stacks of batteries. The batteries either generated the electric current or in the case of being found by a railroad track they were used to recharge a stack of batteries in a signal or communication shack. In the case of a signal system if local power went down the backup batteries would run the signal system in that circuit until the batteries ran down or the local power was restored. Occasionally you'll find a cache of railroad line insulators burried around the telephone poles and if there is an old wooden or newer metal shack you might find these old Edision battery acid bottles around the area. Nice old collectible bottle.

JRich

I think it contained the oil that went on top of the battery to keep the acid from evaporating....

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
In 1911 Edison changed the name from "Edison Manufacturing Company" to "Thomas A. Edison Inc."

Bottles newer than 1915 say Bloomfield NJ instead of Orange NJ. There was a fire in Orange and the operation moved to Bloomfield in 1915.

Attachments

• EdisonFullBottle.jpg
    EdisonFullBottle.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 1,073
  • batteryoil.jpg
    batteryoil.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 8,727
OP
OP
gallileo60

gallileo60

Apr 30, 2007
Gulf Coast, Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW, thanks for the info, and the pictures.......

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread