ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
Re: Small cache with pics

psst -- the reason you didn't find any milk bottles was it was "bring your own bottles " -- thus the "farmer" only needed to have the seal caps for em --(even you said --"when I was about 6 ,I remember taking the jug over to the neighbors for filling "-----thus folks brought the empty bottles from home and took the filled bottles back home --and yes RAW milk is just that --fresh untreated milk --straight from the cow --bet the person was selling milk on the side during WW2 . --the coins and milk caps together tends to make me think "milk money" he poured the "raw" milk in their bottles capped it with one of the caps in the tin got paid and put money in the tin. (in my "minds eye" I can image this happening very easily ) --now the big question is why was this money(equal to a weeks wages) just left behind like that? was there a sudden death ? -- was the fellow called up for service and died in the war? qute odd that is.

now that said . what else was he maybe selling to "make a buck?" on the side --eggs ? shine?

both are very vey possible :wink: so look around very carefully, because if the equal to a week worth of wages (1944 era wages) is sitting in plain sight like that -- what did else they have stashed / cached ? in their "hidey" hole --if there is any old dressers are in the old place --check under the drawers* -- check inside old picture frames* -- run the detector around in the barn looking for a buried stash box --if you find a chicken coop is there check it out --(a chicken is a great natural alarm system )--out houses are another favorite hiding spot.

gotta wonder -- what did the lock and key go to? check the area where it was found very very carefully .

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used

pity the csa buckles a fake. --humm (the after 1902 ) great seal military button is there though --lots of WW2 ish era activity there it seems

rwsnc

Jun 30, 2007
Raleigh, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705, Minelab Xterra 70, Compass Relic Magnum 7a, Compass Coin Magnum, Garrett AT Pro (Sold)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Nice place and nice finds... How many snakes did you uncover? :D

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett

Fun stuff, Catfish!

Here's my thought...

Make up a small 8 x 10 picture frame display and fasten a few of the little gewgaws to it.

Present it to the seller, and say Thanks!

Make another one, and deliver it to the new buyer when you ask for continued permission to hunt the site.

Mums the word on silver coins and such... but offer to show them any 'interesting stuff' you might find.

Best
rmptr

Mike_of_Tenn

Nov 19, 2008
White Bluff, TN
Detector(s) used
MineLab X-Terra 70

Man what a nice find! My biggest cache to date was .95 cents in clad that I think some kids burried in my front yard. LOL I sure would have been proud to have found yours! WTG! :thumbsup: and HH!

Mike

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used

heck hes already got a frame :wink: --give the past owner a few nick nacks as a thank you, for lettiing you hunt there -- then give the frame set up with a few gew gaws in it as a hello gift to the new owner -- to see if you can still hunt there.--- mum's the word on the silver and coins :wink: ;D

Deno

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2008
Fern Creek Ky
Detector(s) used
XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Catfish, that is one hot spot. That is going to be hard to beat. I love this hobby.

mickk

Jul 23, 2006

I would agree that the whole thing is tied to someone who died in WW2, quite possibly D day.

The lack of objects usually associated with children, family, women leads me to think hunting shack, or childless couple. Husband dies, wife goes back home.

I would be having a good dig around. Think like someone who wanted to hide something. Wall cavaties, under floors, base of trees, corners of buildings etc.

zaxfire69

Bronze Member
Jun 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 / Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

How do you figure that CSA buckle is a fake. I would have had a heart attack if I would have pulled that out of the ground. Keep on that site. That has some promise. For sure.

Mr_Mojo_Risin

Apr 29, 2008
Eau Claire, WI
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250

What a great bunch of finds, especially all the Walking Halves! The other things must be milk caps for the old
glass milk bottles, eh?

K

Kentucky Kache

Man, thats gettin' 'er done. Dig it up while you can.

GrayCloud

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Explorer II & Garrett 2500 w/Treasure Hound

Really nice location you have there Catfish.
Just curious, Why is the buckle a fake? Is it made of brass or pewter? Just want to know in case I am ever fortunate enough to find a real one.

PS. Quit your job and hunt 24 hours a day before you loose that place. You can always get another job, but those kind of hunting spots are rare. :thumbsup:

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Sweet. Must seach that area real good....Matt

muleskinner

Aug 8, 2007
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
minelab, tesoro

What a dream spot! I would probably take vacation to spend time at this spot. I'm also very envious of the sunshine and lack of snow over 2 feet deep.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread