Edo era kiseru (cleaned up pics added)

Discrimination Dave

Sep 18, 2008
Primary Interest:
Other
In the two weeks that I have had my new MXT, I have found more cool stuff and had more fun than I did in five years with the ace 250. Including six of the old bronze Chinese styled coins, four of which I was able to identify in my coin book. The first two that I found fuzed together date to the year 1098. The others range through the 17th -18th centuries. Plus one copper 19th century coin (1885) Meiji 18. Also six musket balls and two really cool buttons. Yesterday I found my favorite so far. An old copper pipe (kiseru). I read that they were a huge boom during the Edo period (1603-1867). They caused quite an uproar with the early Shoganates (bosses) who were concerned about wasting farm land for a tobacco crop that could not be eaten. It was about four inches deep and on an old trail that runs parallel to a creek. I found an old bronze coin about two meters away that i have not been able to identify. I am having lots of fun and have finally figured out a good system for hunting in these tough conditions.
Cheers to all and thanks for looking.

Attachments

• kiseru 2.jpg
    kiseru 2.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 1,414
  • edo period kiseru.jpg
    edo period kiseru.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 1,959
  • the view at entrance to forrest.jpg
    the view at entrance to forrest.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 1,458
Upvote 11

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Edo era kiseru (old copper pipe)

Wow, wow, wow. That pipe is something to behold. I don't know how to make a banner nomination but I really think that it should be nominated. What a wonderful save! :thumbsup:
You have an incredible place to hunt. keep on posting, I love it.
ZDD

OP
OP
D

Discrimination Dave

Sep 18, 2008
Primary Interest:
Other

Zodiacdiverdave said:
Wow, wow, wow. That pipe is something to behold. I don't know how to make a banner nomination but I really think that it should be nominated. What a wonderful save! :thumbsup:
ZDD

Easy there Dave!
I'm really glad you enjoyed it.

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Welcome to treasurenet and that pipe is an awsome find. i only have 1850 chiness gold miner camps to hunt here and hope to find an opium pipe one day.

tinpan

MKnTenn

Jul 30, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other

Cool pipe, i thought it was a modern hash pipe when i first saw it. Looks like it could still be used. HH

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Discrimination Dave said:
Zodiacdiverdave said:
ZDD

Easy there Dave!
I'm really glad you enjoyed it.
I love that little pipe, I have a large collection of clay pipes and bowls but have never seen one like that before.
Some people think all gold coins are banner worthy, my buddies and I have found around 100 gold sovereigns so gold coins are nice but not unique enough for auto banner. But something from the past like that, that is so unusual (at least to me) I think is truly noteworthy and should be displayed on the banner. Again really nice find.
ZDD

spitfire55

Bronze Member
Sep 17, 2008
Fresno, CA.
Detector(s) used
(Whites) MXT, MXT PRO, SURF PRO/PI and COINMASTER 5500/D, (Fisher) GOLDBUG. AT PRO(Garrett), CTX 3030(Mine Lab).
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

:thumbsup:

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That pipe is awesome! I would like to see it cleaned up if you decide to clean it. HH, Mike

deathhare

Dec 29, 2008
Nashville, TN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Very cool find. Love that.
I would also like to see it cleaned up.
I go to Japan often but have never detected there. Gonna have to reconsider hunting next time. :icon_thumleft:

JUNKYARD DOG

Feb 29, 2008
Mid Mo
Detector(s) used
DFX, COMPASS SCANNER,

clean it up a bit and give us some more pics, fantastic find. cool. wes

OP
OP
D

Discrimination Dave

Sep 18, 2008
Primary Interest:
Other

Thank you everyone for the comments. I am glad that a few people enjoyed the pipe half as much as I did. I have cleaned her up a little and am adding some pics.
Deathhare and Tapoutking, if you guys are serious about detecting in Japan let me know. There are some serious head scratching situations here in Japan that makes detecting different than in the U.S. It took me a while to it figure out. I could point you in the right direction.

I am also including all of my finds from the last two and a half weeks (since I got my MXT). Lower left two coins bronze 913 year old imported from China in 1098, Lower right corner two copper buttons far right military for sure with the cherry blossom, Top center coin is Meiji 18 (1885 1 sen coin, 98 parts copper 1 zinc 1 tin), Upper right corner Japanese bronze coins clockwise 1739, 1637 and 1708. The two lower middle coins i cannot identify.
Happy Hunting Everyone!

Attachments

• nov16-dec4.jpg
    nov16-dec4.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 526
  • kiseru 1.jpg
    kiseru 1.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 519
  • kiseru 2.jpg
    kiseru 2.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 508

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that pipe is really cool. I'm sure smoking through copper wasn't a very healthy thing to do.

deathhare

Dec 29, 2008
Nashville, TN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pipe looks fantastic. What is it made of?

BTW, sent you a PM. :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
D

Discrimination Dave

Sep 18, 2008
Primary Interest:
Other
jewelerguy said:
that pipe is really cool. I'm sure smoking through copper wasn't a very healthy thing to do.
Thanks jewelerguy. I never thought about that but you are probably right. I think mine is almost pure copper but some were an alloy with tin or even silver.

deathhare

Dec 29, 2008
Nashville, TN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah smoking thru copper is extremely bad for you.
Thats why I asked what it was made of. :P

Dave N Japan

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2006
Japan
Detector(s) used
CZ-3D, CZ-20,CZ-21, F-75 LTD, AT Pro, F-44
Fisher Impulse 8 and 10,
GTA 750 CTX (new)
ADS Master Hunter 7 (Retired)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Dave, How has it been going? You still in Japaan? I like finding those old pipes, This is maybe a older type than the other ones I find"
Take care download (11).jpeg

OP
OP
D

Discrimination Dave

Sep 18, 2008
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi Dave, How has it been going? You still in Japaan? I like finding those old pipes, This is maybe a older type than the other ones I find"
Take care View attachment 1377347

[FONT=Calibri, sans-serif]Still here Dave.[/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri, sans-serif]About to be hunting season here again. Between the bugs and the snakes,summer keeps me home.[/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri, sans-serif]That's a great kiseru you have there[/FONT].

OP
OP
D

Discrimination Dave

Sep 18, 2008
Primary Interest:
Other
Very nice finds,,
I don't think that pipe was used for smoking tobacco.
Congrats

Hey Bob jr.
You'd be wrong.
I'll see that you know now what you didn't know then.
Opium never caught on in Japan. Weed is rarer than moon rocks. I heard it goes for about 80 bucks a doobie.
Tobacco,on the other hand has ruled for centuries. The longer pipes are older as they only smoked at home and grew shorter in the edo period as they started carrying them out with them.
Crack a book.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread