Edo era kiseru (cleaned up pics added)

Discrimination Dave

Sep 18, 2008
Primary Interest:
Other
In the two weeks that I have had my new MXT, I have found more cool stuff and had more fun than I did in five years with the ace 250. Including six of the old bronze Chinese styled coins, four of which I was able to identify in my coin book. The first two that I found fuzed together date to the year 1098. The others range through the 17th -18th centuries. Plus one copper 19th century coin (1885) Meiji 18. Also six musket balls and two really cool buttons. Yesterday I found my favorite so far. An old copper pipe (kiseru). I read that they were a huge boom during the Edo period (1603-1867). They caused quite an uproar with the early Shoganates (bosses) who were concerned about wasting farm land for a tobacco crop that could not be eaten. It was about four inches deep and on an old trail that runs parallel to a creek. I found an old bronze coin about two meters away that i have not been able to identify. I am having lots of fun and have finally figured out a good system for hunting in these tough conditions.
Cheers to all and thanks for looking.

Attachments

• kiseru 2.jpg
    kiseru 2.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 1,414
  • edo period kiseru.jpg
    edo period kiseru.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 1,959
  • the view at entrance to forrest.jpg
    the view at entrance to forrest.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 1,458
Upvote 11

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Bob jr.
You'd be wrong.
I'll see that you know now what you didn't know then.
Opium never caught on in Japan. Weed is rarer than moon rocks. I heard it goes for about 80 bucks a doobie.
Tobacco,on the other hand has ruled for centuries. The longer pipes are older as they only smoked at home and grew shorter in the edo period as they started carrying them out with them.
Crack a book.

Here is a really good blog on kiseru and the unique type of Japanese tobacco (kizami) smoked in them.

https://rebornpipes.com/2012/11/09/...experience-but-if-you-blink-you-will-miss-it/

I learned something today...

DCMatt

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing finds that is beautiful country wow like out of a fairy tale . I guess the grass is always greener somewhere else Thanks for the pics and the post Great job!!!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread