ColonialDude

Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good day folks,

in an effort to educate and be educated...figured I'd share this pipe I recently purchased from a friend.

My buddy knows nothing of artifacts but obviously knows i collect them. He contacted me recently to tell me a guy he knows who gets rid of junk found this pipe in an old house here in Ontario, Canada. He wanted to know if I had any info on it or it's age etc. he lives a good distance so I had to go by pictures. For the record I know very little about pipes admittedly but offered to purchase it. Being an impressive looking piece I figured there was a good chance it could be fake.

when I received it at first glance I thought it looked pretty good. Then I ran my finger nail over it and my nail turned black (some of the black came off). Ugh. I had assumed the pipe was stone so obviously not a good sign. I'm notbsure if it's paint, charcoal or what but even knowing little about pipes I can imagine any authentic pipes like this would exist.

im not sure what it's made of as it's pretty heavy.

Anyhow, anyone have any experience with suthentic or fake pipes like this? How it may have been made etc? I have to believe it's a fake but is there a chance I'm wrong here?

I figured it would be good to put this out there and perhaps we can all learn something and avoid a mistake.

Thanks for your time.

Attachments

• IMG_7526.JPG
    IMG_7526.JPG
    113.6 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_7524.JPG
    IMG_7524.JPG
    150.9 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_7525.JPG
    IMG_7525.JPG
    137.7 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_7353.PNG
    IMG_7353.PNG
    149.2 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_7352.PNG
    IMG_7352.PNG
    134.7 KB · Views: 75
Upvote 0

Igyjastabay

May 28, 2014
The Beach SW FLORIDA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello,

I have learned through my years as a collector that authentic ancient pipes are rarer than hens teeth. Every collector wants to add one to there collection no doubt, but finding a real one is as easy as spotting a polar bear in my front yard. 99% of all pipes are probably fake. What you have is a steatite pipe, after the quarrying process, steatite will harden over hundreds or thousands of years. Old steatite will not scratch with a fingernail, new steatite will. The old great pipes had the bowls gauged out so you should see vertical lines down the bowl. There are no experts because so few exist. Ancient pipes have a definitive degree of elegance, the ancient makers did not make "goofy" looking effigies. Collectors who have experience with authentic examples use their eyes as the judge first. I am no expert for sure, but I have tried to learn as much as I can and asked a lot of questions and have been fortunate to handle a few authentic pieces.

OP
OP
ColonialDude

ColonialDude

Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks very much for your reply and sharing your knowledge/experience. I was not aware of that about steatite. Here is the inside of the bowl. IMG_7549.JPG

Hello,

I have learned through my years as a collector that authentic ancient pipes are rarer than hens teeth. Every collector wants to add one to there collection no doubt, but finding a real one is as easy as spotting a polar bear in my front yard. 99% of all pipes are probably fake. What you have is a steatite pipe, after the quarrying process, steatite will harden over hundreds or thousands of years. Old steatite will not scratch with a fingernail, new steatite will. The old great pipes had the bowls gauged out so you should see vertical lines down the bowl. There are no experts because so few exist. Ancient pipes have a definitive degree of elegance, the ancient makers did not make "goofy" looking effigies. Collectors who have experience with authentic examples use their eyes as the judge first. I am no expert for sure, but I have tried to learn as much as I can and asked a lot of questions and have been fortunate to handle a few authentic pieces.

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It being narrow would be 1 red flag, almost looks like it was made from a slab. #2 the eyes are just a drilled dip when on most real pipes they are craved out in detail #3 the black could a number of things used to make it that color( I want post them so has not to give ideas) but with small scares showing a lighter color under the out side color with that much change is not good. #4 the lines in the craving of this pipe does not look right. It looks more like a dermal tool work and then it was roughed up. #5 the Raven on real NA pipes have much better shape to them. Google NA stone pipes/raven effiegy and you will see what I mean.

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Most if not all great pipes are made from steatite, also known as soapstone. A material that is relatively soft and easily carved. It would not have a color pigment which would come off on your hand.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
the color that comes off in you had is the fake patina that was applied in an attempt to deceive.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions