Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yesterday I decided to try two parks that were added to our permit this year. It is quite amusing when I compare my visions of these parks, (based on a little historical research), to the actual reality of the condition that the parks are in today.
The first park was owned by New York University in the late 1800's. When the NYU decided to make Greenwich Village the main home of their campus, they moved from this area and New York City acquired the land, and decided it would be used for parkland. My interpretation, based on a description of "Hills overlooking The Harlem River," was a vision of students relaxing or even using these serene hills as a place to study. Of course, they would lose all sorts of stuff while lounging on these hills that overlooked the water. Then, I arrive at that park and get a serious dose of reality.
The "HILLS" are actually seriously steep inclines that you have to be part Mountain Goat to climb. The park is in a poorly neglected state. I come to the conclusion, from the trash, coil grabbing vines, and dog droppings everywhere, that the NYC Park's workforce is being dispatched elsewhere. Well I decided to trudge on anyway.
I came across signs of some "Santeria" activity. I have come across Goat heads and dead roosters in the past but this time there were only a few candles and numerous pennies that were sprinkled as part of their offerings around a few trees. That explains in part, my recovery of 90 memorial pennies.
I also came across a sweetheart tree. There were hearts with initials carved into it and it appears that this declaration of devotion has been going on for decades. Some of the hearts are over 15 feet high. After about 4 hours of swinging the coil, a pile of clad, and a 20% Silver Kennedy half, I decided to move to another park.
This park is also a "New To Permit Park", and less than a mile from the first park. Again, I had visions of this park, based on the history I was able to research. It was a British stronghold in Colonial Times. When I arrived at the 4 acre site, I suddenly realized that at least 3 acres had been paved over to build basket ball courts and install playground equipment. The only remaining grass was located on 2 islands around the inner perimeter of the north side of the park. There were about 10 old trees which showed a little promise.
I was a little happier after a few wheat pennies, and then finally a Mercury dime surfaced. Towards the end of the hunt I got a signal on the E-Trac that would usually identify a Silver Half Dollar. (08 - 48) Out of the ground comes a nice sized 925 Silver Ring. Lately, I haven't been out as much as I would have liked, so this hunt ended up being just what I needed.
IMG_3276.JPG IMG_3275.JPG IMG_3271.JPG IMG_3274.JPG IMG_3273.JPG IMG_3278.JPG IMG_3279.JPG IMG_3277.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 16
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very productive park hunt, to bad about the condition! You still managed to pull some silver and gold! :occasion14:

billpa

Sep 12, 2010
Out Diggin Silver
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO,DFX DX-1, CLASSIC 111, Garrett pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like you had a good day,Silver and some tools too boot.

joee5

Dec 16, 2015
Central New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excaliber II
Whites XLT
Garrett PP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You been quite busy.
Grats on the triple silvers

Johncoho

Silver Member
Feb 14, 2014
Martinsburg, Pa. in the summer and Apache Junction
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT, Garrett AT Pro, Macro pinpointer, Garrett carrot pinpointer,
Lesch digger, Nel Tornado coil for ATPro, Garret ATMax with Nel Tornado coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like some nice finds, my friend. Congrats.

testing123

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2009
United States
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, TDI SL
that bicentennial Kennedy, is it silver? I think it would have had to been from a mint set for that. What does the rim look like?

doninbrewster

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2013
New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Is that the park below Bronx Community College? I drove by the other day and it looked so bad I didn't even bother. Went over to Ewen in Riverdale and pulled 3 silvers and 38 wheaties. I used to go to Pelham Bay Park and on Sunday mornings you would find the chickens/roosters hanging from the trees. I guess that's why some people don't like detecting in NYC :) You never know when you might run into a high priest or witch doctor.

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that bicentennial Kennedy, is it silver? I think it would have had to been from a mint set for that. What does the rim look like?

Unless it is an "S" mintmark it is just clad.

OP
OP
against the wind

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nope,, no S mint mark
It's clad.
I thought I read in the Redbook
that all Centennials were 20% silver.
Oh well,, there goes my banner.

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe if you keep at it several times, you might get the clad out of the way of the silver? Typical metal detecting park style, nice saves, who ever said it was going to be easy?

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Well done ATW!

PS: Most of the chickens I see around here are from Bojangles.

Last edited:

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
Congratz on getting out and finding a large assortment of stuff! The Mercury and ring look great and I would be stoked to pull the half dollar!

pepperdawg

Dec 25, 2014
North-Central CT
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO; Garrett-Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A great read and pics!!

Interesting to read about detecting NYC style.

Please keep the trip reports coming!

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow ATW you sure had a work out in those 8 hours. Congrats on pulling those 3 silvers. :occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions