Eisenhower dollar question

CRHgiggidy

Greenie
Mar 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went to the bank today and asked for halves. Didn't have any but the teller said they have "silver dollars". Figured I might as well so I bought 20 dollars worth. All I looked for the S proof on the front of the coin. My question is, is there anything else I should be looking for or are these coins basically a waste of time?

Upvote 0

Piledriver

May 21, 2011
Lots of folks here will disagree with me, but I find them a waste of time.

There is a small chance of finding 40% Eisenhowers, but it is very difficult to unload them in bulk.

So I leave the Ike's to everyone else.

Keep on Rollin' !

coolpix9

Bronze Member
Jan 17, 2007
Primary Interest:
Other
A lot depends upon how hard you want to work. There are dozens of variations so collecting a full set of them can be a challenge.There are many on the forum that like to spend them for kicks and giggles. A lot of people have never seen them so they go bonkers for them. Others like to bundle groups of them and sell them on Craig's or worse yet ePray. I don't think you can get rich peddling Ikes for 20cents profit. Cheers, Jim

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
It's worth buying 'em to look for the 40%, I've bought hundreds the last couple years...still waiting for that first silver.

brendan1414

Apr 9, 2011
you never know when they will bring out a bunch of ACTUAL silver dollars as well, its happened before.

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
20 cents profit? I've only been getting about a 10% profit when I sell mine. But most of the time they are just a waste of time and CRHing funds. I've only found 1 silver Ike so far myself but I also scored 4 Morgans just about a year ago when I was asking for halves and the teller said no body had any but one teller said she had some silver dollars which I reluctantly said I'd take thinking they were just more clad Ike's but man was I surprised when I saw those REAL SILVER DOLLARS the teller had in her hand.

You just never know with this hobby - what you might find and when & where you'll find it. :)

huricanesrul

Jan 1, 2012
PA
Detector(s) used
explorer xs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SOLD $135 FOR $180 last year. had to wait months for a buyer. read these threads....people find peace and morgans. it doesn't hurt to buy them when they re available.

Lawrence

Sep 27, 2011
MA, USA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sell them for about $1.35 on Craigslist. No problems finding buyers in lots under $40. Makes dumping the things a little more palatable.

And I once got a 1oz ASE for $1 at a bank. ;D

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro
Ikes can get you a profit....I just proved this to someone on this forum. 75cents profit on each coin is common. It pays to get them in bulk and sell in bulk. As for variations...not really any value in it. There is an error called the Peg leg Ike that can bring a premium I think. There really are no rarities aside from maybe the 1973 which is lower mintage. I dont think there is any increased value with it though. I always buy them up when I can and either sell them in bulk or spend them and watch peoples reactions. They are just cool to have around...

Golden Silver

weighit

Feb 17, 2007
Northern Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX with a Big Foot coil
Gold Bug 2
I always take all I can get then post on Craig's list, normally get at least $1.50 each but last time got $2.00 each. That fellow gave me his number and said he will take all I get for the 2 bucks each.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread