Elbow Pain

wolcottdigger

Oct 30, 2008
Wolcott, CT
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Hey All,

I have been detecting since last august and enjoy it very much.
This spring I have been experiencing pain in my right elbow after swinging
the detector for about twenty minutes. I havent been able to go detecting
for more than an hour before the pain is too much. Has any one else had this problem
and do you have any suggestions? My detector is a ACE 250 and a Garrett freedom 2 plus
they are pretty lite weight.

Joe

scrubber

Apr 1, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It sounds like you're leaving your shoulder locked and swinging mostly from your forearm. Try swinging more from the shoulder, which will reduce the elbow movement. You also may be swinging too quickly.

scrubber

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
You might also switch arms every so often. Aleve and Tylenol helps somewhat but it only masks the problem, they don't relieve it.

BuffaloBob

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2005
Rocky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold Coil
deteknixXpointer Probe
Minelab Ex-Terra 70
White's Classic II
2014-2015 Colorado Gold Camp Prospector
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
wolcottdigger said:
....This spring I have been experiencing pain in my right elbow after swinging
the detector for about twenty minutes. Joe

Joe I had a similar shoulder problem swinging my MXT up on hill sides. Gold prospecting. Then I bought a Swingy-Thingy which can be adjusted so your detector floats as you swing. I can cover a lot more ground as well as almost 180 degree swing arc. It also allows for a more perpendicular swing over the ground.

Haven't found any nuggets yet but it sure is more fun searching. Check out
http://www.docsdetecting.com/

Attachments

• DocsSwingyThingy.jpg
    DocsSwingyThingy.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 171

rwsnc

Jun 30, 2007
Raleigh, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705, Minelab Xterra 70, Compass Relic Magnum 7a, Compass Coin Magnum, Garrett AT Pro (Sold)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yep... Tennis Elbow or tendonitis. Same thing happened to me last year. I'm not sure if it came from swinging the detector or the digging and twisting motion of cutting a plug of sod. When it first happened I thought it was from golfing too much, but later decided that it was caused by detecting/digging and further aggravated by golfing. Considered getting a steroid shot in the elbow but decided not to. It eventually went away, but it took many months. I've know guys that had it and got the steroid shot and it fixed them right up.

mpostma

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2008
East Jordan, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac & Quattro
I had the same problem swinging my Quattro last year. Good advice from Buffalo Bob, I bought a swing thing too.
Problem solved. It still took a while for the elbow pain to go away completely, but I can hunt for many hours at a time now, without giving it a thought.

Good Luck,
Mark

johnnycat

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2007
Mechanicsville, VA
Detector(s) used
Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can also try slightly swinging the upper part of your body in the direction you are swinging the coil.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions