elderly or allergic, be careful this time of year!

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For you woods hunters out there,We all know that with these hot summer months, comes the elements of nature.Heat,snakes,mosquitoes,spiders, their webs,thick vegetation and all the other bothersome stuff.But I think the worst thing by far is the bee's.With these hot summer months they seem to get a higher temperament and overall more aggressive.The reason I posted this is just the other day I was out in a patch of wood's listening for sound ,scoping for hot spots when I saw a hole that I thought someone dug.I was kicking some dirt in it not paying much attention,and to my surprise I felt a sting on the back of my leg.It was not my first rodeo so I didn't waste no time getting out of there.They got me about 7 or 8 times."Guess that's a good way to get stung, by kicking dirt on them:laughing7:"I usually get into at least one every summer,but I usually see them on my pants legs before they even have a chance to sting.They are just bee's and only hurt for a minute,but if you get caught up in a thicket or something like that,"make no mistake","they will light your a.ss up",possibly kill you if you are allergic,or just cant get away.Be safe and happy hunting! joe

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
all you say is true,and well taken.Its the dang tweakers that have me on edge.when it gets hot these meth lab campers get a bit testy....fortunately they not as bright as bees.:occasion14:

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
The ones to be more careful of are the repeat stingers,yellow jackets,white faced hornets,etc

justdon

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2013
Florida
Detector(s) used
Teknetics delta4000/Tesoro compadre/Garrett ace 250/Garrett propointer/Garrett at pro/Tesoro silver umax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Also watch out for ant hills.I went out with a friend and his son about a month ago his son is 12 and he had just dug up a coin and was looking at it needless to say he saw he was standing on an ant mound.They got him good he took off his shoes and jeans.I felt sorry for the kid.

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
honey bee sting- weak BB gun, wasp- stronger BB gun, yellow jacket- pellet gun, hornet- 22 short, tarantula wasp- 22 long rifle.... at least that's been my experience

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
sounded like a Don Knotts dance occurred for a split second before the mad dash to safety, would have been a great video for sure. those yellow jackets will keep stinging as long as you let them!

OP
OP
DigIron2

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The ones to be more careful of are the repeat stingers,yellow jackets,white faced hornets,etc
These one's where yellow jackets,but those white faced hornet's are really nasty,I like how Dirtlooter put them in calibers:laughing7:sounds about right too!

OP
OP
DigIron2

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sounded like a Don Knotts dance occurred for a split second before the mad dash to safety, would have been a great video for sure. those yellow jackets will keep stinging as long as you let them!
Oh Yeah!I was doing the two-step-toosy.Lost my good hat and everything.I think I smacked the hell out of myself more then the bee's stung me.

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
These one's where yellow jackets,but those white faced hornet's are really nasty,I like how Dirtlooter put them in caliberssounds about right too!

Yup they are,I got nailed in the temple by a white faced hornet once,my fault as i was throwing rocks at its hive:laughing7:Still dont know how it tracked me down,i was 30 or so feet away from the nest and the S.O.B. got my number:laughing9:

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I once was with a friend checking out the woods for bow hunting about a mile past a rifle range (Forest service land and range, very remote area), had a machete and was using it to get through the saw briars. Someone or several someones were at the range shooting and doing a whole lot of it, sounded like a war, some of these individuals are shoot happy and shoot every thing up. We could hear far off the sounds of ricochets zinging off but the timber was super thick between us and we felt pretty safe, in fact we were actually going away from the range the whole time. My friend had made a comment about how much ammo these people were wasting when suddenly I just knew that I had been shot in my right upper arm! The machete went flying(took almost an hour to find it) and I grabbed my arm to see how bad I was hit, I was certain that it was half blown off! But there was no blood and as I stared at my arm, I could see just feet from me, the small beginnings of a hornet nest! My friend who was face down on the ground cringing as he wished he was somewhere else with bullets flying so close, suddenly took off running through the brush and briars! And now I am being convinced to be elsewhere and I am in process of doing so! After slipping back and finally finding the machete, I vowed to come back, at night and destroy the nest but I never did... once we had made our way back to the truck, we never went back.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread