Eldorado at the Beach

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Small gold chains and tiny earrings fall in the foil range and you can kiss those good bye if you discriminate out foil. Sometimes you can tell the difference in the audio tone on small pieces of can slaw, but tiny pieces of foil is a different story. They all sound good to me.

Some swear that they can thumb the discrimination dial and can determine if it's a good target or not by how cleanly the target's audio discriminates in or out. That technique does work to some extent for me on can slaw, but I've never had much success using that technique on foil. I mainly go by ear, but I mainly dig everything anyway to see for sure what it is.

The best thing to do is to dig all targets above iron if you don't want to miss anything. In my opinion the second best thing to do is to set the discrimination just high enough to get rid of the small foil and then dig all clear audio signals. I have a super tiny .97g 14k gold ring (I use for testing) that will still sound off even if I set the discrimination just barely high enough to discriminate out a Gatorade sports drink foil cap.

No other detector that I've used finds more gold jewelry than a Tesoro.

tabman

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As Tabman said if you want to find all jewelry you have to run disc just barely above iron, but I usually run just below nickel to knock out pretty much all foil. You may miss small tinsel thin chains, but probably worth it to move on to large gold/ silver targets.

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Digging all or nearly all can be a big pain, but missing a gold ring or other nice goody is worse.
luvsdux

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
I agree with Fletch88. I concede small gold jewelry to not have to deal with foil.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions