Aquatek

Nov 20, 2012
Stockholm, Sweden.
Detector(s) used
Gold bug
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi all,
I'm hoping someone can help me out here, i have recently aquired a 15" "partnertuff" rock crusher with no engine, I would like to go electric but i'm wondering if a 2hp motor will be man enough for the job?
Another question, what RPM should the motor be? I am not sure how they are normally set up (coupling or belt) as the partnertuff.com website leads nowhere!!!

Any info would be great,
Cheers,
John.

augoldminer

Jan 7, 2013
high desert goldfields
Detector(s) used
gold master V-sat
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What type rock crusher is it and how big.
15" tells little.

a photo would help.

i have built mills the last one 250 feet underground due to a law that banned milling rock within 250 of a creek.

OP
OP
Aquatek

Aquatek

Nov 20, 2012
Stockholm, Sweden.
Detector(s) used
Gold bug
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Same as this one... Made by "Partnertuff" & 15" diameter, chains inside.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1418469252.338231.jpg

Brivic1

Feb 20, 2013
Magalia, Nor Calif. formaly Vic. Australia
Detector(s) used
A2b groundhog/ whites GM3/ Vsat, and TDI.
13hp 5" jawcrusher, Dryblower, recirc. HB.
F md-20............ Goldbug Pro / 5"and 10" coils
Whites TDI several coils............... My own dowsing tools

Primary Interest:
Other
I have a 4", maybe 5" jaw crusher , and I run it with a 13 hp honda 4 stroke. It runs well.
I tried a 2 hp 110vac with a 2" pulley going to a 12, down to a 5 to a 7 and to the flywheel pulley of 16" .. it sort of worked but not satifactorily.
I have a 2nd honda gx 390? that I got as a spare, same as the one in use.. if you are interested

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Probly a 1/2 or a 3/4 hp motor will do the job! I made one of these and the 120 volt 1/3 hp elect. motor was mounted sideways so I could put pullys on it . I used a 2 inch on the motor and a 4 inch on the shaft to reduce the shft speed by 1/2 it ran fine!!! the barrel for this was 10 inchs in diameter and didn't load the motor one bit! and it powdered the rocks. now im building a larger rod mill. the picture you have shown looks to be a direct drive setup! and im not sure what HP motor to use in this situation. a LoveJoy coupling is what you want for this type of hookup! they are a 2 piece with a rubber spyder inbetween the 2 couplings! you would need to use a speed reducer with a high enough wattage to keep from burning up while in use! the Grainger catalog should carry all of what youll need to make this happen!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Aquatek

Aquatek

Nov 20, 2012
Stockholm, Sweden.
Detector(s) used
Gold bug
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks for that, my shipping problem is that I'm in Sweden lol.... I'm 220v here so i think that should help but i'll have to research more before I spend anything (or get it running by someone that actually understands electricity)!!!!!

OP
OP
Aquatek

Aquatek

Nov 20, 2012
Stockholm, Sweden.
Detector(s) used
Gold bug
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Probly a 1/2 or a 3/4 hp motor will do the job! I made one of these and the 120 volt 1/3 hp elect. motor was mounted sideways so I could put pullys on it . I used a 2 inch on the motor and a 4 inch on the shaft to reduce the shft speed by 1/2 it ran fine!!! the barrel for this was 10 inchs in diameter and didn't load the motor one bit! and it powdered the rocks. now im building a larger rod mill.

Thanks russau, any idea of the electric motor RPM??

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
What about using a gas engine to run it? that would make it much more portable! the electric motor runs at 1725 rpm. by using the pullys 4:2 youll cut that rpm in half. so figure out what speed you want it to turn and go from there!

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
What about using a gas engine to run it? that would make it much more portable! the electric motor runs at 1725 rpm. by using the pullys 4:2 youll cut that rpm in half. so figure out what speed you want it to turn and go from there!

Motor RPM is not necessarily 1725. It depends on the number of poles the motor has and the ac frequency. Most commonly is 850, 1725 and 3450.
some here have built crushers and probably can help with probable HP and speed. No one wants to buy a motor that's too small or too big. As you increase speed the HP is cubed so previous experience has value. It's a bit like if you have a car with 100 hp and it goes 100 mph but you want to go 200 mph you will need to increase hp times eight.

JYOU18

Greenie
Feb 8, 2015
Utah
Detector(s) used
Discovery 3300
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I use a 1/2 hp motor. works good unless the rock is really really hard then I have to break it into smaller chunks. JY

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
Much of engineering is trial and error. To prevent damaging the motor you'll need a meter that measures amps. The easiest to use is called an amp clamp, Amprobe or a similar name. They work like half a transformer and they are clamped around the wire and read directly. That way you can adjust the speed and stay within the motor's nameplate spec.
Make pals with an electrician or Hvac guy and maybe they will bring their meter over as meters can be pricy. Mine was $229. There are cheaper options. If Sweden has a Harbor Freight store is one.

OP
OP
Aquatek

Aquatek

Nov 20, 2012
Stockholm, Sweden.
Detector(s) used
Gold bug
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Oops forgot to look in on this thread for a while, i fixed the problem by importing a motor from the States. Now I have to have a 16amp socket fitted as the normal household outlet is only 10 amps & it trips out when it tries to start.... ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1429611613.311480.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread