Electric Motor question

Scott (Mich)

Mar 23, 2007
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am in the process of going through the items on my dads farm - getting ready to get rid of some motors and have a question.

How much is a 1/4 to 3/4hp motor worth in scrap? My dad had a few motors, some of which still work, and I would hate to sell them for two bucks each at a garage sale when they might go for a bit more due to the copper in them. They are pretty hefty and I would think I may be better off hauling them to the local scrap buyer. Most of the motors are what you would see powering a grain elevator or even an air compressor in a work shop.

My apologies if this has already been talked about here but I still have not figured out how to do a search on the forums.

Thanks in advance,

Scott (Mid-Mich)

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here scrap yards pay by the pound for electrical motors but if they work maybe selling them would bring more money.

Ascholten

Jul 28, 2007
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT
If the motors work, might get more selling it as a working motor. Otherwise junk yards pay by the pound for motors / transformers. A few pennies a pound maybe. Lot of work stripping the copper out of a motor. They really can't legally 'burn' them out anymore in the back yard due to pollution laws.

Try E bay but be warned, shipping on something like that is going to eat a ton of cash too so that price alone might make it prohibitive for one to buy it.

aaron

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
6 cents a lb same as steel here in florida.if the motor works,sell it on craigslist.ebay is a waste of time.too much for shipping due to the weight.sell local if you can.if not scrap them as steel.oh an if you have a lot of time on your hands.you can take them apart to get the #1 copper out of the motors.just be careful you dont get hurt in the process.your medical bills could be more then what you get in scrap.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread