Electric Motors

whitesid

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2006
earth
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sure theres a better way. but i just hit it with a sledge hammer until i can pick the copper out.

hyderconsulting

Apr 17, 2007
Electric motors are sometimes called copper breakage by the scrapyards. Figure 10 to 12 cents per pound for them, maybe a little more since copper is staying up there in price. I try to wait until I've got about 500 lbs. of them before taking them to the scrap yard because the heavier load may bring in an extra penny a pound. Be sure to check with all the scrap yards in your area for with this type of scrap you can see some variances in price. I don't strip out the copper on my motors but it can be done. I have some access to some larger electric motors weighing in at a minimum of 50 lbs. apiece whenever I can find the time to take them on and I will strip them out of the copper for sure. Regards, Chris Hyder.

pepperpump

Feb 27, 2005
Manassas Park, VA
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Welcome aboard first off Okie!

Next thing, I have never dealt with motors but I have seen quite abit on it lately here on the site so maybe I will start saving them too. Keep us posted on your totals and good luck!
Pepperpump 8)

Talos

Dec 10, 2004
For electric motors, they pay around 8 to 15 cents/lb. around here. I never get enough of them to really worry about it, though. It's tantalizing to see all that coiled copper in there and try to retrieve it. I tried it once, and that was it for me. It's like trying to deconstruct one of those aluminum lawn chairs with no tools. I still do the lawn chairs, but I hate those damn things. Able to bend aluminum with his bare hands! Look, up in the sky...!

snake35

Jul 25, 2005
West Virginia
Here in Ohio they pay .13 a pound for electric motors. You can make more if you have the time to strip the copper out. Good Luck.

Talos

Dec 10, 2004
Electric motors are now 17 cents a pound here. Found some nice copper wire yesterday -- fairly thick stuff. It looked like it came out of the Eisenhower era. Stripped it with a knife and have several callouses for my effort.

"You have city hands, Mister Hooper," Robert Shaw tells Richard Dreyfuss in Jaws. It will be about a week before my city hands return.

BCR

Jul 7, 2007
Ontario Canada
Talos said:
For electric motors, they pay around 8 to 15 cents/lb. around here. I never get enough of them to really worry about it, though. It's tantalizing to see all that coiled copper in there and try to retrieve it. I tried it once, and that was it for me. It's like trying to deconstruct one of those aluminum lawn chairs with no tools. I still do the lawn chairs, but I hate those damn things. Able to bend aluminum with his bare hands! Look, up in the sky...!

Had to laugh when I read your comment about aluminum lawn chairs lol, I bought a grinder to cut the steel rods off of them and to shave all the rivets out, I use a prybar to yank out the clips that hold the nylon ribbing.

I saved some a month ago and put them in a white bucket... the stuff is so light it's not funny.. only got about $6.00 for my efforts.

Talos

Dec 10, 2004
Yeah, BCR, I hear you. No one is going to get rich off those AL lawn chairs. They look easy to take apart -- at least that's what I originally thought. I was out there slamming the thing against a dumpster, trying to pull it apart like Superman on red kryptonite, tearing at the nylon ribbings, and even hitting the damn thing with a hatchet. Thankfully, no one saw me! You have the right idea with your grinder.

BCR

Jul 7, 2007
Ontario Canada
Thanks... that grinder has been my saviour! Comes in handy when you are dismantling BBQ's as well. I also use it to cut aluminum handles off as well as cutting handles off stainless steel pots etc etc.

Best $30 investment I ever made.

Next thing on my list is a bench polisher/grinder for copper and computer hard drives.

snake35

Jul 25, 2005
West Virginia
I use a DeWalt right angle grinder and a DeWalt reciprocating saw. I use them for other work to. Defiantly good investments for the pro/semi pro scrappers.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread