Electrolysis 101. Finished the 1858 Remington 44 Caliber Pistol.

Sep 2, 2007
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
First I want to thank “DOC in the CSA” for having the patients to teach me the art of the electrolysis process. Also to answer all the newbie questions I had, and I had a lot.

I posted my find a few weeks ago in the “RAW” but since have spent some time cleaning it.
Picture033.jpg

First thing was to set up my tank, this was what I thought a complicated thing but actually it is pretty simple after Doc explained it.
DSCN0418.jpg

Once the electrolysis was done it was time to brush off all the excess rust. Nice results
DSCN0427.jpg

Now the tricky part, boil the pistol to get it good and clean as well as hot so the Extend will adhere and soak in.
DSCN0437.jpg

The final step was to paint Extend on the Iron parts. I kept it off the brass and will take so “Brasso” to shine it up.
DSCN0440.jpg

And finally after a good drying.

DSCN0445.jpg

DSCN0443.jpg

Upvote 0

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Teknetics T2 & Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice job!!! An ignorant question - not familiar with what "Extend" is, but guessing it's something to keep further rust from forming?

Looks great!

OP
OP
EdfromAppomattox
Sep 2, 2007
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Cubfan64 said:
Nice job!!! An ignorant question - not familiar with what "Extend" is, but guessing it's something to keep further rust from forming?

Looks great!

That would be correct ;D

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
Ed,

Welcome to TreasureNet. Glad to have you here. You have a super piece of history there and you did a wonderful job on cleaning it up and restoring it. That is a great tip boiling the gun to make sure it is clean and to help the Extend adhere better. Thanks for sharing. I suppose there are no serial numbers on it to track it through Remington. That might add to the history of it. Great job and I wish I could find one just like that.

Jim West Pa

Aug 14, 2007
Mamont Pa.
Detector(s) used
DFX
That is absolutely the coolest dig i've ever seen.
Looked good after dryin.Extend really does what it's posta do but on sumpthin like yer pistol don't like the black it causes,(MPO). I would o' jist soaked it in some WD-40 er sumpthin.
AWSOME FIND Ed, none-the-less !!!!

rayredditch

May 27, 2006
Europe
Detector(s) used
Adventis II, GoldMaxx Power, Whites Surf Master PI Pro DD, Fisher 1280X Aquanaut, Fisher 1265X, Minelab Advantage, Hartmann 1023, Viking 6DX2
Certain to be the talking piece around the camp fire on a cold nights detecting!!
HH Ray

desertfox

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites, Tesoro, Fisher and Minelab
Great Job Ed. It came out much better than I thought it would. I hope you can find another one to match it!!
HH

Desertfox

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Turned out very nice Ed, good job on the preservation! Will surely enhance a display of CW finds. Thanks for sharing the project and HH, Mike

pgill

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2005
Northampton, UK
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Sabre II / Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Fantastic 8) 8) 8) thanks for showing us all the different stages, I must admit all the hard work was well worth it. Is it showing any numbers after all this, or was the rust too bad for that ???
I would love to know the story behind it.

Well done and God bless
Peter

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread