electrolysis and nickles?

kenb

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2004
Long Island New York
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
My MD'ing buddy dropped off a buffalo nickle in BAD shape and asked me to run it through 6 volt electrolysis process, I've never done a nickle and was curios if anyone had any experience?, it really cant get too much worse,
? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?
? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? thanks, kenb

True_Metal

Aug 27, 2004
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I ran my first Buffalo thru and it turned to a brownish purple color. I then scrubbed it with toothbrush and baking soda, now its a new copper penny color :o I would leave that one alone. They clean silver coins real nice, but i'm not happy with the results on other coins so far.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Someone here said , the Iron in the water causes them to turn Copper Color, and to use DISTILLED WATER. Don't remember who tho'

OP
OP
kenb

kenb

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2004
Long Island New York
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Thanks TM and Jeff, the coin is shot like I said and it couldn't possible get worse so I'll try distilled water like Jeff suggested, worse case sinario it'll look like a new penny!!
kenb

True_Metal

Aug 27, 2004
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, go for it, what the hell. 8) If it wasnt my first Buffy i wouldnt have cared, but it's screwed now and i'm still pissed.

OP
OP
kenb

kenb

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2004
Long Island New York
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Keep in mind, this is my BUDDY"S first buffy LOL, only kidding he may read this. I'll let him know what you said if he dosent read it first and let him decide. He found it on a beach that seems to destroy coins for some reason. It's in an industrial area which may have an effect on coins, only reason we can come up with.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BUFFALOS don't hold up in the first place.

OP
OP
kenb

kenb

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2004
Long Island New York
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
He's picked up some IH's there to that are pretty shot but they dont hold up well either from what I've seen. He swears theres silver at this spot but it has yet to produce so I guess we will see soon

Detecting Fool

Jan 9, 2005
Stillwater, NY - Home of the Battle of Saratoga
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore starting June 2023
Minelab Equinox 800
Prior to 2020 - Whites VX3, XLT, Spectrum XLT, 6000di and 1DB
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
He found it on a beach that seems to destroy coins for some reason. It's in an industrial area which may have an effect on coins, only reason we can come up with.

Most beaches have high salt content. ?Since copper and nickel tends to oxidize faster then gold and silver, and the salt speeding things up more so, would be my guess why pennys and nickels found at beaches are nearly as nice as gold and silver.

Anthony

OP
OP
kenb

kenb

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2004
Long Island New York
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Okay, I dunked the buffalo head in a distiled salt water solution with a six volt charge for a couple of minutes, hit it with a toothbrush and washed it in warm soapy water. It cleaned up great but as true_metal said it would, there are some small copper colored spots. I would have to say if the coin was even in decent shape electrolysis is a BAD idea. I'll post a pick, but doubt anyone will be able to see whats left of it (from the beach not the electrolysis)
? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? Kenb
Terrible pic sorry

Attachments

• Jan19_05.JPG
    Jan19_05.JPG
    9.8 KB · Views: 606
  • Jan19_05.JPG
    Jan19_05.JPG
    9.8 KB · Views: 611
OP
OP
kenb

kenb

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2004
Long Island New York
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
What you see is what you got!, the obverse is completely gone dylan, but it's nice and shiny now!!

dgaughan

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2004
east northport ny
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 5 Garrett ace 350
the beach was covered with ice actually the inner harbor was covered with ice went up to goldstar found a couple wheaties

OP
OP
kenb

kenb

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2004
Long Island New York
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Good deal, It's supposed to drop to the low single digits by the weekend so I would think even the beach's will be solid

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any coins in sand ( nearer to the surface where traffic shift the sand ) will quickly get pitted. This allows the aging process to accelerate. The only thing I have seen worse is a gravel parking lot. Sometimes you can't tell what kind of coin you have.

Ed

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread