Electronic Pinpointers?

oedius

Tenderfoot
Jul 28, 2006
Abilene, TX
I am completely new to this hobby and I was wondering what consensus is on pinpointers before I purchase one. I will soon be getting my very first MD (ACE250). Would a pinpointer be worthwhile in the long run? Which model or models would be best and what cost?

I don't know if it matters but I live in Abilene, TX area.

Thanks,
Steve

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
once i started using a pinpointer, i wouldnt want to go hunting without one. i use an automax v2 but i think most of the available pinpointers are all in the same ballpark performance wise.

OP
OP
O

oedius

Tenderfoot
Jul 28, 2006
Abilene, TX
Thank you hollowpointred, what price range might I be looking at? I guess I would be most interested in one that is most bang for buck without going unnecessarily overboard on price.

Steve

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
i think you can get an automax for about $80 new.

Night Stalker

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2004
Florida
Detector(s) used
Omega 8000 & Tesoro Cortes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I though about getting a pinpointer, but I'm pretty good at pinpointing with my detector. From what I've heard and read about the ACE, you shouldn't need a pinpointer as they are pretty accurate and easy to pinpoint with. I'd wait and see how you do with it. :-\

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Night Stalker said:
I though about getting a pinpointer, but I'm pretty good at pinpointing with my detector. From what I've heard and read about the ACE, you shouldn't need a pinpointer as they are pretty accurate and easy to pinpoint with. I'd wait and see how you do with it. :-\

even if you are awesome at pinpointing with your detector, a handheld pinpointer will help speed you up a lot. how many times have you dug a hole and still have trouble locating your target because it is hiding in the plug or just on the side of the hole? with a handheld, you can find that hidden target almost immediatly instead of breaking up the plug or widening the hole. it also reduces the risk of scratching the target. i used to think i didnt need one either, but now that i have tried one i wouldnt want to hunt without one.

Shamus

Sep 27, 2006
Washington state
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
hollowpointred said:
Night Stalker said:

even if you are awesome at pinpointing with your detector, a handheld pinpointer will help speed you up a lot. how many times have you dug a hole and still have trouble locating your target because it is hiding in the plug or just on the side of the hole? with a handheld, you can find that hidden target almost immediatly instead of breaking up the plug or widening the hole. it also reduces the risk of scratching the target. i used to think i didnt need one either, but now that i have tried one i wouldnt want to hunt without one.

I just pick up my detector with both hands and wave the coil over the plug and hole while still on my knees. Using a small, handheld pinpointer would be less hassle, but on the other hand it's one more thing to either have to carry around or else fish out of the toolbag. I still haven't decided whether or not to add a pinpointer to my wish list.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldn't be without mine. It keeps me from sifting through a bunch of loose dirt on small objects and gives me more digging time. Monty

JW

Apr 8, 2005
No. California
Detector(s) used
ML ExII, GPX4000
Either the handheld or the in-line type are worth the money invested.

They also work well as all-metal mini detectors too!

I understand the carrying stuff issue, I hate having anything in my pockets.
I have left my handheld at a few holes but remembered at the next hole. ;D

The worst thing about the inline type is forgetting to switch back to the coil after digging a target. ;)

pennyfarmer

Oct 12, 2006
West Haven, UT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldnt be without one. Honestly they save me tons of time. When I am hunting old parks and I dig a deep signal I can make a quick plug and if I dont have it in the plug I send in my probe and within seconds I have the target pinpointed and am heading in the proper direction.

I just took out a friend for the first time and he even commented on my use of the probe. "How much is one of those cause you seem to be much faster with it." No crap friend I bought and brought all the toys.

THing4CSA

Aug 20, 2006
Leesburg, VA
Detector(s) used
I use an XP-Deus and have a Whites DFX as a back-up/loaner detector.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all my TH'ing friends
I have several and would not be without one. Yes it is a pain to carry another item but it sure speeds up finding those small items such as percussion caps and rivets. What ever you do try one out before you buy. Check out how you turn the unit on as some have push buttons which when you use it tends to hurt your finger. If you find one that has a toggle switch or on off button works best. I use a Automax Precision V2 and now have two.
I didn't think they were worth all the money until I bought my first one.
Have fun, be safe and have fun in all you do.
Dave Mork
'Digger-Dave'
PS: Remember; Don't leave it in the ground!

W

wo2e

i have the vibraprobe about 100 dollars, water proof. auto on and off, a must to reduced recovery time by 50%. i heard the bullseye has off/on switch problems, you would want to research that.

Night Stalker

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2004
Florida
Detector(s) used
Omega 8000 & Tesoro Cortes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been detecting a long time and up until a few weeks ago have never used a pinpointer. Now, I wouldn't leave the house without it!

It's a real time saver in locating the target, then moving on to the next....I would definitely recommend adding one to your arsenal.

HH/NS

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
If you buy the Ace from Kellyco they will give you a package deal. I bought my Ace 250 from them and they gave me the Automax V4 for $29. It is awkward to carry because it wont fit in any pocket. But it does have a belt clip and I cannot pinpoint very fast without it. To me it is a must. Does not work in wet saltwater sand.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions