Eleuthera Shipwrecks

captbonnie

Jan 22, 2007
Vero Beach FL
Detector(s) used
AQ1B
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
A list of some shipwrecks on Eleuthera - some modern, some not too accurate - but interesting

I lived there when the "Atlantic Pearl" went up - the choppers dropped net bags of cargo on the dunes along the beach - everything from Bibles to sets of dishes -
still have a few things from that - modern "wrackers" we were. James Point has a great long white beach used to find glass fishing floats there too

Link: http://www.projecteleuthera.org/underwater-sites-1

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very interesting, too bad almost all of them are "location unknown"

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
At least one 'unknown' is now known.
My boat at the time, the R/V Explorer, and my team salvaged the "Baltic" (1866) about a dozen years ago.
The best artifacts from that wreck were sets of Wedgewood china (John Adams, potter). When we left the area, we sanded in the Baltic; her hull lies under only about ten feet of water at the northern end of the island; just a short haul from Spanish Wells.
Don.....

SHARK

Nov 7, 2010
Florida
That was a great find of an intact ship and cargo. I have seen some of the Treasure owned by Nick Malis, and George Mosco. Shark

wreckdiver1715

Bronze Member
May 20, 2004
Satellite Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Bonnie, I have to say that Eleuthera is now my top pick of all the islands in the Bahamas. We visited the island in October, and rented a house near Governors Harbour. During our eight day stay, we only saw one other person on the beach one day the entire trip. Lots of history on the island, and next door at Harbour Island.

Tom

REALESALVAGE

Jun 25, 2010
Treasure Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
AquaPulse, Pulse 8, Minelab Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a fantastic post Bonnie. :hello2: Thankyou soooo much, this is best compilation of historical data I have ever seen about the Bahamas/Eleuthera. Happy Diving... :wink:

fladiverdown

Aug 23, 2010
Thanks for the cool link. Ran Spanish Wells - Harbour Island along the Devils Backbone with a six foot draft many times. Beach over one shoulder - jagged satanic reef over the other. Betcha there are a few up on that NE side haven't been found yet. :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
captbonnie

captbonnie

Jan 22, 2007
Vero Beach FL
Detector(s) used
AQ1B
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
not called the devils backbone for nothing

if you go to Harbour Island are those cannons still there , on the hill, above the cut between there and
whale point (eleu side)- we usually come from Abaco. Egg Island cut/ Current/Hatchet Bay by boat and don't get up Harbour Island way much-
(too ritzy for us ;D)

Bonnie

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I lived on Eleuthera during the summers of 1970, 71, 72, 73 and winter of 75. I lived near Hatchet Bay and Gregory Town. There was a big visible wreck at James Cistern -Ocean side in the early 70s. I was told it wasnt there in the later 70s. I am sure there is a lot of wrecks up near Egg Island, and Current areas. Might be some out on the ocean side, but that wasnt an early shipping route. But you never know. It does drop off deep real quick. I did most of my diving on the ocean side, and always looked for any wreckage, but never found anything.

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
capthawk, I replied to your PM. I found a Japanese net float= big about 18" covered with net, in summer of 1970. Was camping out at Surfers Beach in cave over looking beach and woke up, and saw that. Ran down and snagged it. Back then there was no one else there. Good times.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread