Jul 11, 2009
Northwest Ohio
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab ExplorerII
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Greetings All,
Went out before the rains came and found this little gem. All i know bout is what is written on the token. It is not listed in my Civil War token book and I would appreciate any info provided. I'm guessing because of the lack of information found this might be a rare one. Thanks in advance for any and all help.
Happy Hunting.

Attachments

• elgin10001.jpg
    elgin10001.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 337
  • elgin20001.jpg
    elgin20001.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 427

Bramblefind

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2009
New York
Detector(s) used
T2/F75 SE
That is very nice! :icon_thumleft:

I did find some info about Malcom McNeil - he and his brother John went on to have a business in Chicago-

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~mjhiggins/HigginsGrocer.htm

Malcolm spent his early manhood on the farm, and it was not until he was twenty-six years of age that he turned his attention to the mercantile business, in which he has since been successful to a marked degree. In 1858 he went to Elgin, Illinois, and there established a small grocery store. It was on a very small scale that he began his business career, for he had no capital, and it was with the feeling that his success should come through his own efforts entirely, rather than through the use of another's capital, that he launched forth and placed his foot on the first round of the ladder leading to the success which came later. It was slow and hard work, but his honest efforts and upright dealings found favor with the citizens of Elgin, and little by little the business was enlarged, until it became a store, dealing in everything usually handled by a merchant in a small town. Prosperity seemed to shine on everything he did, and at the close of thirteen years he found himself proprietor of a business controlling the largest trade of its kind in the city of Elgin.

Stef45

Jan 7, 2016
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is an awesome find! Sorry its 7 years later but i wasn't on Tnet back then lol. Would have loved to have found this one!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread