Elizabeth I Sixpence 1579 (and its about time!)

DavidBeard

Dec 27, 2008
Derbyshire
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi All,
Just found another hammered at last! (Its about bloody time can I hear you say?) - A lovely Elizabeth I 1579 Sixpence, quite a bit of detail still visible:
Elizabeth-I-Sixpence-1579.jpg

It was on the same fields I found the Elizabeth I Half-Groat last year - Just been ploughed, rolled and set - All 120 Acres. I won't have time to do the whole lot as I'm only allowed on until the shoots start to show which could be any day soon. This was after about 9 hours detecting on 3 separate short afternoons.
George V Sixpence 1936:
George-V-1936-sixpence.jpg

and some very 'sad' coppers ranging in age from George II, George III, (another Cartwheel) up to Elizabeth II:
18-coppers-George-II-III-et.jpg

including this 1856 '5 Centimes' (another French man walking around these fields!)
French-1856.jpg

A lovely 'broken' :( Crotal Bell:
crotal-bell.jpg

and quite a few buttons:
34-buttons.jpg

One round and one oval 8-petaled pewter stud (Any idea what they're off?)
2-pewter-studs.jpg

Quite a few lead items, Musket Ball, Bits that look like they could have been game pieces, etc.
Lead-items-musket-ball-game.jpg

Buckles, A lock, Pewter handle ends, Knobs, etc:
rings-knobs-lock-buckles-et.jpg

and enough bits of broken Tobacco Pipes off the surface to open a Tobacconists (yes I pick these up too!)
tobacco-pipes.jpg

I'll try and get a few more hours back on these fields before they all turn as green as the pennies I've just found but well pleased that out of all the 'rotting' coppers I found a nice piece of hammered Silver.
:icon_sunny:

Upvote 0

mrtim

Jan 7, 2008
Nancy, KY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Whites Spectra V3i HP, Whites MX Sport, Fisher F2, Bounty Hunter Quicksilver, Nokta/Makro Simplex+
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
WOW!! Great finds. Hopefully the plants will stay in the ground long enough to get another hunt in.

gold nuggets

Bronze Member
Apr 5, 2008
Springfield, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE, Pro coil inline probe. Also the Excal II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are some very nice finds David.
Thanks for sharing the pictures. HH
Gold Nuggets :hello:

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TERRIFIC FIND!!!!!!!!! :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :hello2: :hello2: :hello2: What a BEAUTY it is :o :icon_thumleft: :wink:

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
tesoro eldorado, tesoro lobo,goldmaxx xp
You got a straight one :icon_thumleft:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
shaun7 said:

Shaun7 only goes for bent ones.

Good to get a largie, seems the Lizy 6pence are the most likely 8)

Pewter mini objects are thought to be of the tops of tobacco lids, however I get so many I wonder if they are not just a mini drawer pull.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CRUSADER said:
shaun7 said:

Shaun7 only goes for bent ones.

Good to get a largie, seems the Lizy 6pence are the most likely 8)

Pewter mini objects are thought to be of the tops of tobacco lids, however I get so many I wonder if they are not just a mini drawer pull.

We dig a lot of those too....a lot of them.I have been told they were off of serving trays,but given the ruggedness,and remoteness along with the frequency we find them I dunno?Tobacco seems logical,as does drawer pulls....although,I have dug them attached to iron before :icon_scratch:

OP
OP
DavidBeard

DavidBeard

Dec 27, 2008
Derbyshire
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
kuger said:
We dig a lot of those too....a lot of them.I have been told they were off of serving trays,but given the ruggedness,and remoteness along with the frequency we find them I dunno?Tobacco seems logical,as does drawer pulls....although,I have dug them attached to iron before :icon_scratch:
Excuse photo here - working in dim light - bedtime!
pewter-stud-side-view.jpg
This is side view of the round one, was attached to something, yes, thought it was a layer of iron but failed the magnet test! - could be attached to Tin. I'll go for Tobacco Lids (considering how many pipes I found) Thanks.

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
Great Silver find!
A button or two makes my day!
thanks for showing & Great Digs to You, Herbie :thumbsup:

OP
OP
DavidBeard

DavidBeard

Dec 27, 2008
Derbyshire
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
steelheadwill said:
Great Silver find!
Thanks Herbie - well pleased with the Silver but I've got in the habit of swearing outloud when I dig another button - we have far too many in these fields!

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DavidBeard said:
kuger said:
Excuse photo here - working in dim light - bedtime!

This is side view of the round one, was attached to something, yes, thought it was a layer of iron but failed the magnet test! - could be attached to Tin. I'll go for Tobacco Lids (considering how many pipes I found) Thanks.

I mis spoke,actually it was tin,not iron.I am looking for the box of them I have,but dont know where I put it!

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
That is one pile of nice relics and coinage. I shall hunt over the pond one day.......I hope! Congrats on all the finds. jgas

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
tesoro eldorado, tesoro lobo,goldmaxx xp
DavidBeard said:
steelheadwill said:
Great Silver find!
Thanks Herbie - well pleased with the Silver but I've got in the habit of swearing outloud when I dig another button - we have far too many in these fields!

I only swear at the ones with four holes >:( ;D

ringfinder

Silver Member
Nov 9, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000, X-Terra 70, Garret Infinium, Tesorro Tiger Shark, ACE 250, Nautilus DMC 2B, Fisher 1235
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastic coin, Congrats on your First. I probably would have been doing the chicken dance if I
found a coin like that. LOL

Also great haul, man you sure have a good place to hunt!!

HH, Ringfinder

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread