Elizabeth the 1st Hammered Silver

gigmaster

Mar 16, 2007
Chesapeake, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Equinox (coming!), Minelab Excalibur II, Garrett AT Pro, Teknetics G2, Garrett Sea Hunter Mark 2
Primary Interest:
Other
Headed out to a place I have been many times and have been successful but I knew I was about to hunt this water location out. I hit several of my areas that I have found countless coins, civil war and colonial artifacts. I was about 3/4 through my hunt and I had accepted the fact that I may be skunked. I decided to hit one last area and boy am I glad I did. I started off finding a Indian head penny and part of a colonial shoe buckle. Then I discovered a little spill of dropped sharps bullets. Then I got my first silver a small reale. Now things are picking up and it looks like I am going to have a decent day. I then pull up another reale little did I know it was a 1602 hammered silver! (I cant see up close so I thought it was just another normal reale). I go on to find another buckle and more bullets. I did not realize the date until I got back to the boat and did not know the type of coin until I talked to my friend Dan Frezza. I had never found this type of coin!! It is now my oldest coin found! All in all it was far from a skunk! (Video here - )

Attachments

• FullSizeRender 25.jpg
    FullSizeRender 25.jpg
    253.4 KB · Views: 157
  • FullSizeRender 23.jpg
    FullSizeRender 23.jpg
    225.6 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG_0448.JPG
    IMG_0448.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 132
  • IMG_0447.JPG
    IMG_0447.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 148
  • IMG_0440.JPG
    IMG_0440.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 158
  • FullSizeRender 26.jpg
    FullSizeRender 26.jpg
    176 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_0446.JPG
    IMG_0446.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 145
Upvote 47

Donnie B from VA

Apr 2, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II / XP Deus I
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That is an awesome find! Congratulations! I'm casting my first Banner vote for this coin!

Donnie B from VA

Apr 2, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II / XP Deus I
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
If you are on the eastern shore of Virginia, this hammered silver may have been left by one of the first settlers in North America, c. 1607.

It very well could have been lost by one of the first settlers. I agree!

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Not really.
Because the wear would say otherwise.

I totally agree. I have several of these from the 1560s and 70s that I know for a fact weren't lost until the mid-1600s, and they have less wear than this example. Of course, part of that could be they may have spent more time in a place of safekeeping than they did being exchanged in commerce or other activities. So I wouldn't be surprised if this 1602 coin was not lost until the 18th century. Still an awesome find regardless ....

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup... would look great on the banner board to me. Congrats.

OP
OP
G

gigmaster

Mar 16, 2007
Chesapeake, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Equinox (coming!), Minelab Excalibur II, Garrett AT Pro, Teknetics G2, Garrett Sea Hunter Mark 2
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for all the comments on the coin and hunt! I love reading your thoughts and info. I will hit that spot again on wednesday! Maybe there is more than 1!! LOL

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hammered silver dug in North America is astounding! Congratulations, and it's a no brainer that this should be on the banner

DocBeav

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2012
SE Va
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab CTX 3030 (17", 11", 6" coils), Minelab Excalibur 800, Minelab Excalibur 1000 (w/OBN's Remote Pinpoint mod and CTX headphone connector)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Still in awe when I see it Steve! Great job!

OP
OP
G

gigmaster

Mar 16, 2007
Chesapeake, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
It did not make the treasurenet banner but it made mine. Thanks for all the votes and info on the coin. Going back to that spot soon!!

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
It did not make the treasurenet banner but it made mine. Thanks for all the votes and info on the coin. Going back to that spot soon!!

Well put. Any hammered English on our side of the pond is banner in my book. That's a coin most of us over here will never find. Good luck in that spot and I hope to see that you've found more.

Z.K.

Bronze Member
Jun 16, 2015
The Grants
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Beautifully done. That hunt would have been first rate without the stratospheric near-16th century English silver. Unbelievable and inspiring...and less than a year after an ultra rare NY Cent!?

Cal_Cobra

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2008
Northern California
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800 & Makro Multi Kruzer, the rest are collecting dust...
Awesome find, and you didn't have to go to jolly olde England :thumbsup:

hh,
Cal

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread