Elk Neck State Park

thunter95

Jul 16, 2007
Lewisberry, PA
Detector(s) used
White's XLT / White's Surf PI Pro / White's Surfmaster II / White's IDX / White's Classic III
Went to Elk Neck State Park in MD yesterday with my family. Have not been there in like 25 years. Wanted to do some beach hunting and wanted some place different. Hit the Beach in the park. I guess noone has claimed this as their local place to hunt. Was able to pull 22 coins with in a short period of time. The park was full so I was not able to really do a good job. But it was interesting on how many nickles and pull tabs came out on this beach. If it is hunted they are not looking for gold. There is a lot of trash but if you have a chance to go to Elk Neck State Park I think it will pay off. I was checking the locals while walking around. Hey, I'm a guy. The girls wear a lot of gold toe rings, ankle bracelets, rings and huge earrrings. They have got to fall off. Good luck and thank you for reading.
Terry

Upvote 0

kierdan

Jun 26, 2006
Elkton, Maryland
thunter95 said:
Went to Elk Neck State Park in MD yesterday with my family. Have not been there in like 25 years. Wanted to do some beach hunting and wanted some place different. Hit the Beach in the park. I guess noone has claimed this as their local place to hunt. Was able to pull 22 coins with in a short period of time. The park was full so I was not able to really do a good job. But it was interesting on how many nickles and pull tabs came out on this beach. If it is hunted they are not looking for gold. There is a lot of trash but if you have a chance to go to Elk Neck State Park I think it will pay off. I was checking the locals while walking around. Hey, I'm a guy. The girls wear a lot of gold toe rings, ankle bracelets, rings and huge earrrings. They have got to fall off. Good luck and thank you for reading.
Terry

We may have crossed paths yesterday somewhere :) Was all over North East MD yesterday :) Welcome to my neck of the woods :) Nice finds, yes hunting in state parks is not allowed. Good thing you didnt get caught. Or maybe you checked with someone first? Anyways HH. Let me know next time your down this way, maybe we can hit a couple spots together :)

DanL

Feb 17, 2007
Ellicott City, Maryland
kierdan said:
We may have crossed paths yesterday somewhere :) Was all over North East MD yesterday :) Welcome to my neck of the woods :) Nice finds, yes hunting in state parks is not allowed. Good thing you didnt get caught. Or maybe you checked with someone first? Anyways HH. Let me know next time your down this way, maybe we can hit a couple spots together :)

I wandered around North East last month before picking my kid up at Sandy Hill Camp. It's a really cool little town. Saint Mary Anne's Church (1740's) is amazing. I spent nearly an hour wandering around the cemetery looking at the old headstones from the early 1700's and 1800's and the stones which supposedly mark Native American graves.

tymcmurray

Gold Member
Jul 14, 2007
Maryland
Nice hunt.
I live in Maryland too, and they will usually warn you once,
for hunting in ANY park (State, city, county,.......ANY)
but if you get someone in a "mood", it can get ugly.

OP
OP
thunter95

thunter95

Jul 16, 2007
Lewisberry, PA
Detector(s) used
White's XLT / White's Surf PI Pro / White's Surfmaster II / White's IDX / White's Classic III
I do not know if I was misinformed or if it is just OK in Elk Neck but I called the park the week before we went and talked to a lady in the office of the park. I had her name and the time we talked. So I did have permission before detecting. I was told it would be just fine to detect anywhere in the park. I was only looking to go to the beach but she made sure to let me know it was OK anywhere in the park. I also have hunted Sandy Point State Park many times before. Again a safe and legal place to hunt in MD. There is rules but just check with the office before going to Sandy Point. There is also many many Medal Detecting clubs that hold hunts in Sandy Point STate Park. So do not be afraid to ask before ruling a place out.

OP
OP
thunter95

thunter95

Jul 16, 2007
Lewisberry, PA
Detector(s) used
I just went through my up coming hunt registrations and MARS is having their annual hunt at Sandy Point State Park MD on 10/4/2008. Again just because someone says State Parks are out reach to MDing, double check on your own.

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Spent almost all my life in Md......Some State Park's will allow you to hunt with a permit,and at certain time's of the year.They can be kinda funny.......Glad you got back home with the good's ;D

OP
OP
thunter95

thunter95

Jul 16, 2007
Lewisberry, PA
Detector(s) used
Here is a great website for those who do not really know about detecting in State Parks. Most are legal but do require you checking with the ranger station before detecting.
http://www.fmdac.org/parks/parks.htm

kierdan

Jun 26, 2006
Elkton, Maryland
thunter95 said:
I do not know if I was misinformed or if it is just OK in Elk Neck but I called the park the week before we went and talked to a lady in the office of the park. I had her name and the time we talked. So I did have permission before detecting. I was told it would be just fine to detect anywhere in the park. I was only looking to go to the beach but she made sure to let me know it was OK anywhere in the park. I also have hunted Sandy Point State Park many times before. Again a safe and legal place to hunt in MD. There is rules but just check with the office before going to Sandy Point. There is also many many Medal Detecting clubs that hold hunts in Sandy Point STate Park. So do not be afraid to ask before ruling a place out.

:thumbsup: Perfect!!!! Always check I guess. I would have asked myself if I had been the one going, even if everyone told me its a no go. Nice to know they are a little more loose around here, for sure :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread