Elmira COCA-COLA BOTTLING WORKS need help with ID and price

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Attachments

• Picture 37.jpg
    Picture 37.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 536

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Elmira COCA-COLA BOTTLING WORKS need help with ID and price

The Elmira Coca-Cola Bottling Company Works is located at 415 West Second Street, Elmira, New York. It was built in 1939

OP
OP
G.A.P.metal

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Land or Sea Pointer
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Jeff
Thanks i used to walk by the CC plant to school as a kid got this bottle from there in 1960.
This bottle is not shaped like other CC bottles....im looking for the value of it.
Thanks gary G.A.P.metal

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California

G.A.P. ~

Straight sided bottle like yours that have Coca Cola Bottling Works embossed on them in block letters were used for fruit flavors like grape, orange, etc and did not contain the actual Coca Cola beverage. Coca Cola did not have a line of fruit flavors at the time and allowed franchise bottlers to bottle their own. But because of their franchise agreement, bottlers were usually required to display the Coca Cola name on their other bottles. The real Coca Cola bottles the company distributed at the time would have had the Coca Cola signature (script) embossed on them.

The Root 22 is for 1922 when the bottle was made at the Root Glass Factory in Terre, Haute, Indiana.

Valuewise I'd say about $15.00 in mint condition. Maybe more to someone who collected Elmira bottles exclusively.

P.S. ~ I'm a little confused about the 1939 date of that particular bottling works that Jeff mentioned, because a Root 22 embossed on the heel would (in examples I'm aware of) indicate the bottle was made in 1922. By 1939 the majority of bottlers had switched over to painted label (acl) bottles. I'm wondering if the Coca Cola franchise and the Elmira Bottling Works were two different entities?

SBB :icon_scratch:

OP
OP
G.A.P.metal

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Land or Sea Pointer
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Bob
I got that bottle right behind the bottling works in a friends yard burried in the ground we were 7 or 8 years old and diggin a fort and found a lot of bottles but broke most of them got in trouble with my friends mom so i went home with that bottle and allway had it sence.
Its must have been a dumping ground for the bottling co.I wonder what is still there, think i`ll go there and see who lives there now i might find a bottle gold mine
thanks Gary G.A.P.metal

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread