Elysson Field Pensacola

pcolaboy

Sep 5, 2006
Pensacola, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
I think the key would be to get permission from whatever company is currently occupying that portion of the industrial park. The Navy no longer has ownership of the former Ellyson Field, as you probably already know, and I think that you could probably get legal authorization to hunt from whatever company is currently leasing the area that you intend to hunt. However, the large 'green belt' area between Ellyson and Scenic Hwy might be fair game without any authorization. I would certainly check with the county first to be sure.

I actually work out at Saufley Field and I've been trying to get official permission to MD on my lunch hour but no one seems to know who would be the proper channel for authorization. As far as base security is concerned, they have nothing on the books to prevent authorized personnel from MD'ing. But it would be my luck that some big wig from Pensacola NAS would be over for a visit and see me out there 'sweeping' and have a totally crap fit.

Let me know if you do get permission to hunt at Ellyson, especially if you want a partner to head out with. I live just a couple of miles south of there off Scenic Hwy.

Pcolaboy

OP
OP
Bridge End Farm

Bridge End Farm

Gold Member
Dec 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Library
ok I will ask some of the businesses I do know a few of the owners there of some within the complex. I will let you know.

kakcsdad

Feb 5, 2007
cantonment, florida (pensacola)
Detector(s) used
WHITES MXT stock and 5.3 coil
i work out there and have been hunting around the old pool and handball courts, and a wooded lot in front of where i work....didnt find anything...its really trashy around the pool area from when they tore it down....have not had any problems with anyone.....i havent tried around the old admin buildings just cuz i havent thought about it......the place is pretty much deserted on the weekends so i doubt anyone will say anything to you if your out there......the place is pretty much aspalt except where the admin area is or used to be.....like pcolaboy said if you want someone to hunt with let me know....

toy4runr

Greenie
Oct 22, 2007
North West Florida
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
I hunted around several of the buildings out there several years ago. The places I hunted were trashy and I didn't find anything interesting so I only hunted a couple of times and that was it. That was in the 1990's.

OP
OP
Bridge End Farm

Bridge End Farm

Gold Member
Dec 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Library
I have only found a few coins and none are silver but I think there is some somewhere on there. A few owners have asked me not to hunt but some others have said knock yourself out. The old barracks I guess has families living in it that I am unsure where they are from. Didn't seem like a place to hunt as they have garbage all around there. Sure I would enjoy the company if anyone would like to tag

OP
OP
Bridge End Farm

Bridge End Farm

Gold Member
Dec 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Library
Most of the businesses that own some of the property are to worried about being sued. thats the bottom line. I have hunted the fence lines and places that I guess are county owned. I have not found any old stuff a few quarters, nickels etc. I have encountered some homeless folks in the wooded areas along the perimeter. The old officer barracks has folks I feel that do like to work other than for thier nighly booze money.
My person motto is your only one swing away so I am still one swing away

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread