tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This morning I was scrolling though looking for a particular picture on my phone. I stopped to have a look at this old Western Union telegraph and noticed it was sent exactly 73 years ago yesterday to my mom from my dad who was in Japan during the US occupation I believe. They were married in 1949 and it appears their 2nd or maybe it was their 1st Christmas was spent apart.

Attachments

• 20200901_045824.jpg
    20200901_045824.jpg
    851.8 KB · Views: 61
OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coincidentally, my last name, MacKay, is referenced in the wire.
I believe WU was referring to the town of MacKay in Australia.
Don in SoCal.
Yeah

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting to note that the message was sent using the numeric code ’71 61 32’ which relates to a standard list of ‘Fixed Text” messages. I believe Western Union and its competitors such as Cable & Wireless originally introduced these (using the same codes) during WWII, allowing messages to be sent at a low rate by US armed forces personnel serving abroad.

Here’s Western Union’s fixed text message list (ignore the scribblings on it) where you can see that ’71 61 32’ selected by the sender generates the message in full by transposing it at the receiving end.

Fixed Text.jpg

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's rather interesting RC. I so enjoy any extra details such as that and finding out how things of the past were done. Thank you!

I printed the the info sheet you provided and will put it with the telegram with a little explanation on how these numeric codes aided in this form of communication during these times.

Attachments

• 20231224_054652.jpg
    20231224_054652.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 13
Last edited:

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
Coincidentally, my last name, MacKay, is referenced in the wire.
I believe WU was referring to the town of MacKay in Australia.
Don in SoCal.
I know it’s coincidental but a friend of mine had grandparents named MacKay, from Burlington, Iowa area.

Im sure that telegram was very well received. Good history.

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
What a great memento! Thanks for sharing that! Very cool!

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know it’s coincidental but a friend of mine had grandparents named MacKay, from Burlington, Iowa area.

Im sure that telegram was very well received. Good history.
That would be a coincidence. The address in Burlington, IA was my grandparents (mother's side) home. My mom must have been visiting her parents for the holidays, it seems. My parents lived in Coon Rapids, IA at the time this telegram was sent.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread