ScubaFinder

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
AquaPulse AQ1B - AquaPulse DX-200 Magnetometer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
LOL - Did you order the X-Ray Specs from the back of one of your comic books??? I have those too, but they don't work on skirts or Emeralds, it's false advertising I tell you. :D

starsplitter

Jan 20, 2007
Jason:

Ask your engineer friend about resonance. I may be wrong, but I think elements (and maybe emeralds) resonate at a certain frequency when bombarded by electromagnetic waves (sort of like a wine glass bombarded by sound). Now, I wonder if sand, etc. will "absorb" electromagetic waves? I don't think so - at least not entirely.

So, I wonder if an emerald (or a batch of them) would "resonate" and return a signal tuned to the required frequency?

Starsplitter

mariner

Apr 4, 2005
I think several of the new so-called long range detectors claim to identify a whole range of metals and minerals by exciting them to resonance. However, I have no specific experience of these, and the inventor of one device whom I have invited to examine what I think is an important 16th century wreck buried just ten feet below a tidal mud flat keeps on making excuses for not doing so.

Mariner

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Emeralds have the same specific gravity as sand so they won't resonate any more than silicon. And you won't find any of them sitting on the surface. They are buried. The ones we dredged up in Emerald City (Atocha site) would "Glow" when we first saw them so we spotted stones as small as !/8 carat. The rest of the stuff we dredged up was either black, grey or white. The emeralds just jumped out at you!

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Exchange from another forum:

I was talking to John Brandon on Fri. and he said that he heard that someone found a large uncut emerald on a 1715 fleet beach this last week. Does anyone have the scoop on this???

I do not have the scoop, but such a find is possible. General Zubiza loaded up a shipment of Colombian emeralds at Cartagena.

coin_diver

Oct 3, 2003
Syracuse, ny
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, xl500 (27 yrs) XLT (17 yrs)
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Here's a close-up of some tested Muzo emeralds. They came off an as yet unidentified wreck from mid 1600's in this area. More to come one day!

Attachments

• emeralds.jpg
    emeralds.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 2,316

PhipsFolly

Sep 30, 2005
Treasure Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign Elite & Sovereign XS, Minelab Equinox 800 and Aquapulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Peg... there were several 1715 Fleet vessels know to have had contraband emeralds on them. I have found a "honey spot" which has produced some beautiful emeralds since "the hurricanes". For obvious reasons, I cannot tell you which sites they are, but good old fashioned research and many of hours of backbreaking beach hunting has produced this nice little group of "greenies" for me. Some nice higher quality rough and even a few large "barrels" in my spot. My largest stone to date is 33 carats!! They are out there... just gotta' know where to look and when!! Enjoy my friend...

Attachments

• 1715Emeralds.jpg
    1715Emeralds.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 2,272
  • 1715Emeralds1.jpg
    1715Emeralds1.jpg
    4.2 KB · Views: 2,260
  • 1715Emeralds2.jpg
    1715Emeralds2.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 2,211

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Unbelievable!

OP
OP
P

Peg Leg

Bronze Member
May 29, 2006
Those GREENIES are really outstanding.
How deep did you have to go-I bet not very deep.
Peg Leg

OP
OP
P

Peg Leg

Bronze Member
May 29, 2006
The EMERALDS shown by PhipsFolly atre a very good reason to do the Beach Cleaning project.
Anybody agree?
Peg Leg

PhipsFolly

Sep 30, 2005
Treasure Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi again Peg...

I happened to meet up with a woman walking the beach in an area which I had already researched and knew to produce 1715 Fleet materials. This elderly woman had lived in the area for years and saw me metal detecting and came over to show me an incredible emerald she had found in this area. She hadn't told anyone else about the "honey spot" but decided that she was getting on in years and due to her failing health, would not be able to walk the beaches for too much longer so she decided to share this spot with me!! The emeralds can be found only during certain sea conditions but I can tell you that they just tumble around in the trough when the time is right. I just use a wood/mesh sifting tray to get them... very time consuming but well worth it considering their size, quality, and most of all... the history behind these emeralds!!

All the best... hoping this season will be golden for all of us!!!!!!!

Phips

OP
OP
P

Peg Leg

Bronze Member
May 29, 2006
Phips,
I was SERIOUSLY thinking about hanging up looking for treasure and getting back into my ART work and then you posted the photos of the EMERALDS.
Now I am off and running ONE MORE TIME.
THANKS FOR JUMP STARTING MY DAY.
PEG LEG

PhipsFolly

Sep 30, 2005
Treasure Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Angels & Blessings come in many forms, but I would definately agree with you starsplitter! That elderly woman was incredibly generous to share that with me!!

As for encouraging others to keep hunting, it's my pleasure Peg! I hope the State of Florida keeps an open mind when it comes to the supposed "conflicts of interest" between treasure hunting and the field of marine archaeology. I think we all can bring up the history, share and learn from it, and make a nice living from it as well if we could learn how to work together. Greed is an ugly thing on both sides, but on a positive note, it usually ends up bad for the one's with the "sticky fingers".

Anyway, i'll get off the soap box now... anyone interested in kicking off the season by putting together a Treasure Coast treasure hunters "pirate" party just for the heck of it?

We could arrange a place to do this (perhaps before it gets too hot out) like maybe meeting up at Treasure shores or Golden Sands Park or ? We could do a BBQ (each of us could contribute some funding to throw into a pot to pay for the grub and libations) and come dressed up as pirates? Share treasure stories, photos, etc.? This town needs something fun and different!!

Any interest?

Phips

PhipsFolly

Sep 30, 2005
Treasure Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well Peg... I am all for a fun get together, but as far as traveling around with my collection, I don't think I would do that for safety reasons let alone the fact that some pieces are quite fragile. It doesn't seem like there are any other interested th'ers as of yet so I guess we'll see what happens. Anyway... good luck to you on your projects. I have enough sites to keep me busy until 2012 at this point!! Bye for now...

Phips

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I know a place where you can find emeralds and I will reveal it here and now. Why? Because I don't have any plans on going there. There is a Spanish galleon wreck on Fowey Rocks just S. of Miami. There's nothing to see of the wreck because it has been pounded to pieces over the years. About 10 years ago a diver found some loose emeralds on the bottom. After the word spread, dozens of divers descended on the spot and started sifting the sand with spaghetti collanders. I don't know how many emeralds were found but I'm sure they didn't get them all. Its perfectly legal. Go for it!

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
If you go there, you're going to have to sift through tons of sand. How long will that take with a collander? Thats why I don't plan on going there.

ScubaDude

Bronze Member
Oct 10, 2006
Coastal, NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS, Garret Seahunter MK II, Geometrics 882, Marine Sonic SS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Salvor 6,
I not sure what has changed but charts of the area your talking about specifically say that swimming, snorkeling, diving, entering the water and a few other very specific activities are prohibited. That coupled with the fact that it is in Florida state waters, the Florida Keys National Marine Sanctuary, and Biscayne National Park, all of which tend to frown on touching anything without a permit.

So your version is: "Its perfectly legal. Go for it!"

I'm having a little difficulty buying off on that one. I need to get your admiralty attorney's name, I'm really missing out on some great opportunities.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread