Empty lot with realtor sign. Do I need to call before hunting?

funkapotamus

Feb 25, 2012
Placerville, CA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Upvote 0
OP
OP
funkapotamus

funkapotamus

Feb 25, 2012
Placerville, CA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thats what I figured. So what are the odds? I'll give it a try tomorrow, any tips on what say?

Diggit

Mar 25, 2012
Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, DFX, GMT and Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thats what I figured. So what are the odds? I'll give it a try tomorrow, any tips on what say?
Not trying to be negative here, but they'll probably say no. I have dealt with a LOT of them, and they usually cite insurance reasons, which may or may not be true. More than likely, they are just worried that you'll mess the property up.

As far as "tips", I would say NEVER, EVER mention the word "dig" ask if you can "metal detect."

Good luck and happy hunting.

smartmoney

Dec 4, 2011
Lower Hudson Valley
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Whites V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well since I am a Realtor, you should call him/her and tell them what you want to do. They will need to call the owners and probably not explain your motive properly and scare off the owner. SO its imperative that you clearly explain what you want to do and wont hold either party (realtor as well) liable for any damage. If you can look up the owner, it would probably be easier.

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
If it was your old valuable property with stone home or brick home or wooden home or no home at all and you had it for sale with a real estate sign on it, you still own it and if you just happened to be a cranky ole sonafa***** or were simply a concerned landowner you would probably raise hell with any trespassers on said property. That's the angle.

goldentruth

Nov 3, 2011
French Gulch, North Calif.
Detector(s) used
"WHITES" GOLDMASTER "GMT" & "TESORO GOLDEN SABRE II" with silent search.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Eather way, if you were to get hurt on the property the land owner would be liable. I don't think somebody is going to pick up liability insurance to metal detect. A few months ago I went to a house of a land owner of many properties, I asked him if he would let my son & I metal detect on his leveled & graded property on our 1949 mining town area. The owner told me a "Professional" Metal detector person went thru his property already (He looked at me like I would be wasting my time.) (I never knew what a professional MD Person was?.. If you make money you already are one!) Anyways he told me I can Metal detect 1 day, I thanked him, I never said which day, I will wait for clear weather and I now have a upgrade which i am ready to have fun with. So I am saying, I would ask a realitor if you can personally contact the owner and be honest and polite is a good thing for success. Good Luck.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Take a young child with you when calling on the owner. It works! TTC

boris

Dec 17, 2011
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
tesoro stingray
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Make sure its just weeds.

Top Member Reactions