Encrusted Ring Found. Before and After Removal.

LawrencetheMDer

Feb 22, 2014
Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils,
Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 (4) w 11" and 15" coils,
Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil, Pointers; Garrett Carrot, Pro Find 35,
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I decided to hit the shore today and avoided the surf...given that it was 4-6ft. Glad I did. Even though sand is so much easier than the surf to metal detect, I went at it like a starving man after food, a thirsty man after a nice cold beer, a Metal detectorist after an empty popular beach. I almost couldn't believe my eyes - last month I was at the same beach and it looked like it had been replenished - the dry clean sand must have stretched 50 yards or more. Now, the shore showed rocks, everywhere. I couldn't believe my eyes. I was so excited I peeded in the parking lot. Us old guys; when ya gotta...ya gotta. Any ways, I LOVE to see rocks on the beach and I spent as much time as possible, until tide came in, searching the rocks. [I thought I saw another metal detectorist at the other end of the beach but when he saw the rocks (or me) he left. As luck has it, my first good target was an encrusted ring.
20170130_090704.jpg
Love those rocks
20170130_173252.jpg
Encrusted ring before I broke it apart.
20170130_174005.jpg 20170130_173953.jpg
Above pics show the cleaned ring and a close-up of the inside of the ring showing 925 or close to it...

Didn't know what to make of it, at first, but you bet I put it in my pocket (and not change/garbage purse). I recall hearing about encrusted pieces-of-eight, along the Treasure coast, that people would use to skip across the water, not knowing what was inside - Silver. When I got home, I used a butter knife and smacked the ring until the encrustation disintegrated. The dark sparkling shelly encrustation was about 1mm think. Inside - a Silver ring.

It is a big ring, unfortunately I don't have a scale. The inside of the ring shows 925 with the 9 distorted. The 9 actually looks like an "H" to me.

Also found a white ring in one of my holes [A Japanese tourist, one of three watching me bent down and removed it from my hole and gave it to me.] Don't know what it is made of and it doesn't have any markings. However, the inside is machined to be worn and the outside has an edge and slightly rough top face. The ring is a large size and fits my wedding finger perfectly. Don't tell me they're making ceramic wedding rings now?
20170130_222833.jpg
It was a good day metal detecting. The wind was 20 miles/hr, partly cloudy and high temp of 60. The wind-chill was enough to keep most people away, until the afternoon that is. I worked the rock piles with my new Stealth 920ix water scoop and it held its own in the rock piles. Last year I destroyed a 6" Aluminum water scoop after digging in the same rocks.
20170130_173131.jpg
Above pic shows today's finds...minus all the crap.

I also was able to recover about a dozen very small beads or fishing weights that I would never had been able to recover in the surf. These would have given me fits in the water. But I do love finding fishing weights, particularly the larger ones. If I can find lead I can find gold.

Upvote 0

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool Ring
t3810.gif
Congratulations
t3813.gif

updownup

Mar 28, 2016
Florida
Detector(s) used
Cz 20, Excalibur, Whites oldies and Sovereign elite.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on the hefty silver ring and the other finds.

The Urban Prospector

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Wherever I am.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado,
Garrett AT Pro,
Minelab Excal II,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Nokta Legend,
Garrett Pro Pointer,
Garrett Pro Pointer AT,
Human eyes
Primary Interest:
Other

slider66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Nov 14, 2013
Treasure Coast Of Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab CTX 3030
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Excalibur 1000 with SEF 10x12 coil
3 Minelab Excalibur II 10 inch
Deus II
EQuinox 900
Manticore
Primary Interest:
Congrats! Nice find.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
L

LawrencetheMDer

Feb 22, 2014
Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils,
Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 (4) w 11" and 15" coils,
Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil, Pointers; Garrett Carrot, Pro Find 35,
Primary Interest:

Interesting thought. Looked at it closer and there isn't any marbling or color changes. However, I took a sharp metal point, heated it to red and touched the ring and it had no effect, thus prob not plastic...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions