End of the copper trail??

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Not even close!!!

I guess I don't have let anyone in on the day of detecting me and Iron Patch had yesterday. We beat a storm to a bunch of pretty good finds. We hit a couple of places in an area that obviously had a lot of early settlement, especially early military!

Lucky to be out detecting this time of year and even more lucky to be discovering a couple of new sites. We caught a few breaks with great conditions in the fields and land owners available for permissions.

The copper trail wouldn't be complete without coins, several coppers including an 1810 Norwegian skilling, an Irish penny token and a couple of local tokens and large cents. One more silver to the pile, a Victoria five cents silver that seen way better days!

As usual, buttons, a few flatties, a two piece fouled anchor (possibly a shipping line or merchant marines), and an early British militia button which will take a little more research to nail down. There's some edge lettering that may solve this riddle; also what appears to be RPD? under a crown. Any suggestions appreciated.

A couple of neat relics, a nice key, a small lock, religious medal, and a porcelain vessel from a child's tea set or doll house; sugar bowl or soup tureen maybe.

We always find a bullet or two (or more!) today I got a good assortment of shapes and sizes.

All in all, a really great day, and we're still hoping for just one more! Aren't we all!

Attachments

• cdb.JPG
    cdb.JPG
    25.6 KB · Views: 129
  • cdc.JPG
    cdc.JPG
    25.2 KB · Views: 114
  • cdrpd.JPG
    cdrpd.JPG
    36.8 KB · Views: 123
  • cdsk.JPG
    cdsk.JPG
    31.1 KB · Views: 136
  • cds.JPG
    cds.JPG
    19.3 KB · Views: 130
  • cdbull.JPG
    cdbull.JPG
    16.7 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:
Upvote 13

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great variety of finds.
Certainly a good part of the fun is solving the mysteries once you get back home, like your RPD button ? No idea here.
Key is cool, as well the skilling copper, I got something like that once, although similar sized was called 1/4 skilling, I believe mine was from Sweden, yours Norway.

Hey I really like the pics. on the glass background, looks like they are "floating".

And yes we are hoping for one more kick at the can. (crossed fingers smiley)

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice little pile there and like you said, considering the time of year we are lucky enough to get out... Hope you are able to get more info on that button as well... your other finds aren't that shabby either!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yesterday digging dirt and now today going out to deal with snow... but at least it doesn't seem like it will last.

Here's the guy to put to work on your button.

Online Database of Early British Military Buttons

Given both a UK militia and 3rd American came out of that first field, and there's lots of targets, it would make a pretty decent back up. The last spot would too if it wasn't for the corn stalks... but add the 104 to the list! I think there will be many more targets at the 76th field when it's flat. The button was so far from the site we should really dig something good there to give it a proper name.

OP
OP
ironhorse

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Great variety of finds.
Certainly a good part of the fun is solving the mysteries once you get back home, like your RPD button ? No idea here.
Key is cool, as well the skilling copper, I got something like that once, although similar sized was called 1/4 skilling, I believe mine was from Sweden, yours Norway.

Hey I really like the pics. on the glass background, looks like they are "floating".

And yes we are hoping for one more kick at the can. (crossed fingers smiley)

One of the great things about detecting is you never know what can show up. Coins from every corner of the earth are very possible; I think that's the second Norway coin I've found.
I took the pics in natural light on a Tupperware container, a neat effect!

OP
OP
ironhorse

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Nice little pile there and like you said, considering the time of year we are lucky enough to get out... Hope you are able to get more info on that button as well... your other finds aren't that shabby either!

It was a year to the day today that was our last hunt last year, so this year could go a bit longer!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Really nice assortment of finds, I had no luck on the button ID looking at a few ref. sites.

OP
OP
ironhorse

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Yesterday digging dirt and now today going out to deal with snow... but at least it doesn't seem like it will last.

Here's the guy to put to work on your button.

Online Database of Early British Military Buttons

Given both a UK militia and 3rd American came out of that first field, and there's lots of targets, it would make a pretty decent back up. The last spot would too if it wasn't for the corn stalks... but add the 104 to the list! I think there will be many more targets at the 76th field when it's flat. The button was so far from the site we should really dig something good there to give it a proper name.

No lie, everyone knows I don't care for corn fields, however, with what we've seen come out, I may have a change of heart!
I'll try to get some of the partial lettering from the button and perhaps form a plausible determination of the origin.

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Second look, button looks more like "RPB" ? maybe that will come up with a different result ?

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
What a spot you guys are on. And to think the potential is endless. Congrats on a great assortment of quality finds. And how about that weather?!!!

Cheers

Steve

OP
OP
ironhorse

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Really nice assortment of finds, I had no luck on the button ID looking at a few ref. sites.
Thanks Pep
I know there's so many units out there that are so obscure, it's nice to have a different one, but it would be nicer to know what it is!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No lie, everyone knows I don't care for corn fields, however, with what we've seen come out, I may have a change of heart!
I'll try to get some of the partial lettering from the button and perhaps form a plausible determination of the origin.

But for a corn field it was about the best you could hope for, wide rows making it easy to swing. Still would be nice to get on Jr.'s fields! Too many sites with too little time.

OP
OP
ironhorse

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
What a spot you guys are on. And to think the potential is endless. Congrats on a great assortment of quality finds. And how about that weather?!!!

Cheers

Steve

You know we work hard on research and a lot of trial and error; but putting yourself in an area that has history and population going for it really helps our cause

Yeah, the weather!!, our worst enemy this time of year. My career keeps me hopping when the weather is much better for detecting and all I get is the foul weather time of year for getting out! Not complaining just saying lol

OP
OP
ironhorse

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
But for a corn field it was about the best you could hope for, wide rows making it easy to swing. Still would be nice to get on Jr.'s fields! Too many sites with too little time.

True, been in way worse
A crack at those fields might be what we need'

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
THATS A HECK OF A BUNCH RELICS YOU HAVE THERE IRONHORSE ..... NICE .....

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nope...looks like you guys may have a week or two of cooperative weather yet...those are some cool finds and I especially like the mystery button!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nope...looks like you guys may have a week or two of cooperative weather yet...those are some cool finds and I especially like the mystery button!

Yep, said I was happy to get one last day but now the 14 day weather trend shows mostly above freezing temps.. :headbang: Having got a late start to the Fall if things would have went the opposite way it seemed like it was going to be over before it got started.... so great to see it seems similar to last year.... which I was out the 25th and 26th! I know one of us is close to getting that early silver coin! Gonna happen!

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not a weatherman but this "El Nino" is keeping the Polar Freeze from sliding south. They say it will last into January.
Congrats on a great hunt.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread