Engine troubles

panningjack

Apr 16, 2013
Nampa, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic 3
Having a problem with my engine surging. It's a 208cc honda clone. Worked fine last year but this year just won't run right. The governor keeps engaging causing the surge. The only way I can get it to run right is with 1/4 choke, and then it's not running at full rpm. If I just put my finger on the governor it runs fine. I changed the oil, gas, and plug, and cleaned the carb. I've looked up engine surging and loping in many different ways. The only solution I keep finding is clean the carb or remove or bypass the governor. I don't really want to remove or bypass. I rather just figure out the problem and fix it. Is it ok to run my pump without a governor? What do I do?

omnicron

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2012
Caldwell, Idaho
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Look for a bind or mis-aligned linkage. The last time we were out it was running fine...I suggest looking over your whole linkage system from gov to throttle. I had the same type of issue with my Subaru after pulling the carb off and cleaning it. Turns out it was a linkage issue. Worst case bring it out Sunday and I'll take a look at it.

G1sammons

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2012
Murfreesboro tn
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Having a problem with my engine surging. It's a 208cc honda clone. Worked fine last year but this year just won't run right. The governor keeps engaging causing the surge. The only way I can get it to run right is with 1/4 choke, and then it's not running at full rpm. If I just put my finger on the governor it runs fine. I changed the oil, gas, and plug, and cleaned the carb. I've looked up engine surging and loping in many different ways. The only solution I keep finding is clean the carb or remove or bypass the governor. I don't really want to remove or bypass. I rather just figure out the problem and fix it. Is it ok to run my pump without a governor? What do I do?
It's quite common with the ethanol in the fuel to cause carb problems with all makes and models but .
I'd tell ya to get a gallon of barrymans carb cleaner ! It will last for many years if ya keep the lid sealed up..Remove all gaskets seals est and soak it over night. Blow all ports out the next day with air reassemble should run great ! I have to do this in my out boards from time to time also ..
I have to do this with the honda's if I don't drain the fuel befor storage ... A lot of folks run stable but I don't know how well it helps as iv had to do it after storing with stable also ....

Iv also cheated and filled to carb bowl with it and let it soak without removing it at all . But sometimes it will get a seal or something .. But iv also had a lot of success cheating this way ...

G1sammons

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2012
Murfreesboro tn
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It's quite common with the ethanol in the fuel to cause carb problems with all makes and models but . I'd tell ya to get a gallon of barrymans carb cleaner ! It will last for many years if ya keep the lid sealed up..Remove all gaskets seals est and soak it over night. Blow all ports out the next day with air reassemble should run great ! I have to do this in my out boards from time to time also .. I have to do this with the honda's if I don't drain the fuel befor storage ... A lot of folks run stable but I don't know how well it helps as iv had to do it after storing with stable also .... Iv also cheated and filled to carb bowl with it and let it soak without removing it at all . But sometimes it will get a seal or something .. But iv also had a lot of success cheating this way ...
Also a good long hard running will clean it up some times esp with some fuel,system cleaner .
This is where I'd start maybe 2 hours wot ... Run the piss out of it and see if it doesn't clean it up befor tearing it down and soaking with barrymans

goldgit'r

Apr 18, 2011
Florence S.C.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just finished cleaning the carb on a Honda powered semi trash pump that would not run without the choke part way on.
I didn't even remove the carb from the engine. Took off the bowl and removed the main jet and cleaned the hole with a torch tip cleaner.
This took about 15 min and it runs great again. Wes

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good lesson to be learned here-If you don't put them away right they screw up everytime. Run till tank empty at seasons end. Dump and change oil,clean air filter,make sure pump is completely dry,pull that starter rope once a month all winter to keep lubed and corrosion free and good to go next year. Buy a clone and pay to the bone-briggs/honda rule-John

Oakview2

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
If it runs fine with the choke partially on, it would appear to be running a lean condition. All above is sage advice, a inline fuel filter may be the culprit, or the float level in the carb.

OP
OP
panningjack

panningjack

Apr 16, 2013
Nampa, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic 3
Linkage looks fine. I cleaned the carb thoroughly. I'm sure ethanol fuel probably isn't helping any. I'll definitely store better this year.
It is the same engine omni. I think I had 1/4 choke when we were out. Right now I have some carb/injector cleaner in the tank. I'm going to do like G said and run it this weekend for a couple of hours. Probably bypass the governor while I run it. Then take the bypass off and see how it does. I've had this engine 3 years now. I'd like to upgrade to something name brand but gotta get some gold first.
Thanks for all the input guys

G1sammons

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2012
Murfreesboro tn
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Linkage looks fine. I cleaned the carb thoroughly. I'm sure ethanol fuel probably isn't helping any. I'll definitely store better this year. It is the same engine omni. I think I had 1/4 choke when we were out. Right now I have some carb/injector cleaner in the tank. I'm going to do like G said and run it this weekend for a couple of hours. Probably bypass the governor while I run it. Then take the bypass off and see how it does. I've had this engine 3 years now. I'd like to upgrade to something name brand but gotta get some gold first. Thanks for all the input guys
what sizes is it ?

What happens is the ethanol evaporates and condenses and fills the air bleeds with tarnish. That's why I say soak them ...
Sometimes you can get away with running the piss out of them but leave your linkage alone and just run it 1/4 choke with some type of fuel system cleaner ! I prefer the techron stuff from chevron .. But there are some others that work well .. About 2 tanks this way . Best just go dredge all day ...And always run your fuel system dry at the end of the year .... If the is a fuel on and off valve then you can add stable to the tank and shut the fuel off and run the carb dry.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Depending on the type of carburetor the engine has on it, it could be a bad diaphram. Remove, dismantle and clean the carburetor and replace the gaskets, seals and diaphrams. Just be careful to lay out all of the gaskets, seals and diaphram (diaphrams if more than one) and replace only what was removed. Many Carburetor Rebuild Kits come with gaskets, seals and diaphrams for many carburetors as some use the same gaskets, seals or diaphrams as others do while other pieces may be different and not compatible for the carburetor on your' engine. A friend of mine took his' weedeater to a Repair Shop and they put every gasket, seal and diaphram that came in the Rebuild Kit inside the carburetor on his' weedeater. They had it for over a year and could not get it to run. He got it back and gave it to me, saying that if I could fix it, then I could have it. I took it to my' workshop, removed and dismantled the carburetor and saw that many of the gaskets, seals and diaphrams did not match the ports on the carburetor. I took each one, one at a time matching them to the ports and setting the non-matching ones to the side. I re-assembled the carburetor with the gaskets, seals and diaphrams that matched the ports, re-installed it on the weedeater and it started and ran on the 3rd pull. I only spent about 45 minutes on the job and when done, I took the weedeater back to my friend and showed him the pile of about 10 to 12 extra gaskets, seals and diaphrams that the shop's employees had put into the carburetor which did not match.

I would recommend that in the future, that if you do not run the engine dry on gas before storing, then pour the gas out or drain it before you try to start the engine. Put one to two ounces of Fuel Stabilizer in the gas tank and about a 1/2 tank of fresh fuel. Let it sit for 10 to 15 minutes, then with the shutoff in the "off" position or if the engine does not have this, remove the spark plug wire, then pull the start rope a few times to get some fresh gas and fuel stabilizer into the carburetor (the fuel stabilizer will dissolve the gunk buildup from the old gas and actually condition the diaphrams, gaskets and seals). Let sit for 10 to 15 minutes again, then with engine set in the "on" or "run" position or spark plug wire re-installed, choke the carburetor and the engine should start within a few tries. My' Trash Pump with a Honda engine set for 3 years with old gas in the gas tank. I did what I wrote above and it started on the 2nd pull and never missed a lick all of the time I used it last year.

Good luck!

Frank

Last edited:

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
I use Sta-Bil in my fuel ,even for the two stroke engines. ive never had any problems in the 11 years ive been useing it! and i heard that Seabrease is as good or better!

Last edited:
OP
OP
panningjack

panningjack

Apr 16, 2013
Nampa, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic 3
Went out today with the pump hooked up to it and it ran fine. I'll just be sure to store it better this year. Was just super busy this last fall with the new baby and all

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread