Enormous Black Bear in front yard last night

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I was in bed last night around 11:00 drifting into sleep and Cousin Sharon ran in from the porch said there was a bear in the yard. I put some pants on and went down and looked out the front, and at the very edge of the porch light range I saw the silhouette of the bear walking from the old chimney down towards the walnut tree. It looked like it was the size of a VW Beetle! Sharon's dog was raising hell. Good gracious that thing was big.

It's the first one I've seen since I moved here. The size of that beast, I'll be re-considering my freedom to walk down my kilometer long driveway to the mailbox now.

I looked up how large they could get to be, and read that males can reach as much as 1,000 lbs.

Holy Toledo!

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah they mostly leave you alone though. Only worry about mothers and cubs, bears in the spring, and young male black bears. These account for most attacks. other than that just act big and make loud noises, my personal favorite is to light off a few rounds from the shotgun to send the message home(not at them just to scare them)

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a little one here some years ago. Chased it from the garbage cans, but they can get HUGE.

dsdigger

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2017
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Whites MX Sport, Whites Coinmaster, Minelab Explorer XS, Kellyco Vulcan 360, Lesche Digger, Rattler headphone, Park Ranger Bag by "Freeloader"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with Tpmetal. As long as there are no cubs and it is not sick, it is more likely to give you a wide berth. Have had run ins on Skyline Drive while sitting in a picnic area as a black bear came out of the bushes and skirted the area and went around and out the other end. Was big enough to cause great damage to me and my girlfriend and would have had us long before we could have made the car. Just stayed up tall and between it and her and made no move to threaten it. Wonder if your bear is down looking for food or just travelling through the area and may be gone in a few days. Keep the trash hidden and sealed and not around the house. Watch leaving food in coolers, etc.

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't pick fights with anything but the copperheads. And I do not hunt. I consider myself and my land as a critter sanctuary. While I was away working, Mom had sent me pictures of a mother & cub out playing under our 200+ year old pear tree. That tree is bearing fruit again this year, where by the end of last season I thought the tree was dying.

So, as fall nears we'll be seeing the critters out there under the tree again!

Mom puts our leftovers in a steel pot in the back yard. One morning that pot was bent nearly in half. Now I know what did that! The possums & raccoons couldn't have bent that pot!

I knew bears lived on the ridge behind the house, but I never thought I'd see one that large.

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We have them around here too and I have bees, not a good mix. Their fur is so thick and matted that it will stop 00 buck like a Kevlar vest. No telling what might set one off, though I've seen an old man run one off with a broom, but I wouldn't recommend that. Just in case of a bad interaction with one I keep an old 8mm Mauser at the ready, just hope I can get to it in time. You can't outrun them as they have been clocked at 35 mph, have been known to kill and eat humans, and they climb trees too. Good luck!

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We have them around here too and I have bees, not a good mix. Their fur is so thick and matted that it will stop 00 buck like a Kevlar vest. No telling what might set one off, though I've seen an old man run one off with a broom, but I wouldn't recommend that. Just in case of a bad interaction with one I keep an old 8mm Mauser at the ready, just hope I can get to it in time. You can't outrun them as they have been clocked at 35 mph, have been known to kill and eat humans, and they climb trees too. Good luck!

I have bees and some cattle/horse electric fence keeps them at bay. I have also electrified my bird feeder. In the past 20 years there have only been like 25 deaths from black bears in north america. Not really as common as one thinks.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Sigh.
Can't even walk through at night without getting harassed.
Dang humans...
Blackie don't want your mail Deep. Don't worry about checking the box.:laughing7:

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I went out just now looking to see if I could find any tracks. It's all grassy under the tree, but when the lawn slopes sharply and is a bit less grassy, I found what I think is a track. The foot was sliding a bit, but I did see an impression of 4 toes - very difficult to see in the picture, but I'm worthless at taking pictures to begin with. The track is over 5" wide.

IMG_1265.JPG

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Geesh!! That's about 2x as big as the tracks I've seen around here. Definitely a big bruin!

I went out just now looking to see if I could find any tracks. It's all grassy under the tree, but when the lawn slopes sharply and is a bit less grassy, I found what I think is a track. The foot was sliding a bit, but I did see an impression of 4 toes - very difficult to see in the picture, but I'm worthless at taking pictures to begin with. The track is over 5" wide.

View attachment 1481395

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I hate to keep talking about this crap....

I went around the back of the house and found this scat, looks like pushing a gallon's worth:

IMG_1267.JPG IMG_1269.JPG IMG_1270.JPG

dsdigger

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2017
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Whites MX Sport, Whites Coinmaster, Minelab Explorer XS, Kellyco Vulcan 360, Lesche Digger, Rattler headphone, Park Ranger Bag by "Freeloader"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Mister bear! Big paw prints, big piles. Yeah, looks like it must be enjoying the pears and what other easy picks are around. Be careful, watch for cubs, make lots of noise while out and if you must go armed for safety, carry a large caliber gun. Shoot one with a .22 and all you'll do is piss it off!

FC-Treasure

Sep 9, 2011
Northern VA
Have had run ins on Skyline Drive while sitting in a picnic area as a black bear came out of the bushes and skirted the area and went around and out the other end.
LOL, my last black bear encounter was on Skyline Drive. It really scared my daughter, so much so that we had to end our hike early. They are pretty common though in our area. (Southern Leesburg, North of Middleburg). In my old neighborhood we had a resident bear who was climbing fences, eating dog food, swimming in the subdivision's fishing pond, etc. I have to say, I did change my jogging route after the bears showed up... No more jogging alone in the woods... Probably irrational, but I could just envision myself running around a corner, listening to music, zoning out, and not noticing bears on the side of the path...

Last edited:

VERDE

Bronze Member
Jun 6, 2013
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey ADS!! Lock the door and Get Back in Bed!! He He!! Anyway, GOOD LUCK and GOOD HUNTING!! VERDE!!

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Mister bear! Big paw prints, big piles. Yeah, looks like it must be enjoying the pears and what other easy picks are around. Be careful, watch for cubs, make lots of noise while out and if you must go armed for safety, carry a large caliber gun. Shoot one with a .22 and all you'll do is piss it off!

Depends on where you put that tiny .22 bullet. Bella Twin killed the worlds record grizzly bear in 1953 with a .22 long, not long rifle, and that bear is still the biggest ever killed in Alberta, Canada. https://www.ammoland.com/2014/11/wh...a-world-record-grizzly-in-1953/#axzz4pI0mySi0

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey, Deepseeker! On one of our last camping trips we heard a "growl' just down the hill from us. Her and I tripped over each other getting in the truck! haha I've never heard anything like it in the woods. Whatever it was you could hear air, like it was deep, and big. We were told there is no bear in that area, but I wonder.
We sit out there with just the moon light some nights, hear all kinds of things. The last trip we weren't as jumpy were getting use to the noises. Never heard the growl again. But we did just happen to shine a light on a bobcat, that was cool, he was pretty much gone as soon as the light hit it though. It wanted nothing to do with us. haha

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DeepseekerADS didn't you mention that your property borders wilderness?.
Our acreage borders 1.8 million acres so like you we get bears.... but not that big!

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey old friend :) There's nothing behind me except the lumber companies and whoever goes up about the 10 miles up to the top behind me. This is big stuff, tried to walk back there in the 70's with an old friend, ridge after ridge and we gave up = had nothing left in us to go further.

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey old friend :) There's nothing behind me except the lumber companies and whoever goes up about the 10 miles up to the top behind me. This is big stuff, tried to walk back there in the 70's with an old friend, ridge after ridge and we gave up = had nothing left in us to go further.

I hope you are heavily armed like me. Are you sure it was a black bear? That beast is Grizzly sized!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread