Entry Level Detectors: Whites Vs Garret Ace 250/350?

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The two best bang for the buck detectors out there in my opinion are the BH LRP which cost less than most mid level detectors, yet is just as feature packed and goes just as deep. Now for $499, the classic T2 (will compete well with all top of the line detectors), the price was just lowere by about $400 this year, it used to cost well over $800 new. Caution: Be vary carefull if you plan on buying a used T2 classic though... there are many counterfeits out there.

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
If you're spending $500 I'd look at the Garrett AT Pro. It's high on the list of best bang for the buck machine's.

If you buy one hardly used and don't like it, you can probabaly get ALL your money back reselling it.

Jan 14, 2016
Detector(s) used
White's V3 + RNB 2900
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Try to find a good used White's MXT. Five years from now you will be happy you did.

White's customer service is very caring and their machines really go the distance.

louie41

Aug 23, 2013
Maryland Eastern Shore
Detector(s) used
White's 4900/D Pro Plus, Ace 350, whites BHID, TRX PP and Whites digger
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I own both an older white's analog machine with concentric coil and an Ace 350 with DD coil. The Ace was won in a club competition hunt. Both are good brands I but always hear great things about White's customer service. My experience first with the older whites is I like having a threshold tone and found it easier learning to pinpoint with a concentric coil vice the Ace's DD coil. I also like the tone rise/fall from the white's rather than the bonging/binging bell tones from the Ace. I also don't experience EMI, ElectroMagnetic Interference (interference from power lines, RF, etc), with my older whites. Since my Ace 350 is more up to date technology I will say it has better depth and does have display with notch ID and multiple bell tones. Watch some youtube videos about detectors that interest you and learn about their features and "sounds" from other detectors. Decide your budget and go from there. If you want to wade into the salt water beaches then you are opening up a whole new can of worms and more $$. good luck

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread